Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three piece suit for work - Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 30-12-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Currently I have two three piece suits in my wardrobe, the dress code where I currently work would be best described as business casual though so I never wear the waist coat. However I am going to be changing companies and moving into the world of consulting.

Is it appropriate to wear a three piece if you are not at executive level?

Does a three piece come off as being arrogant or what are peoples thoughts?

Would be really interested in hearing peoples experiences on this in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

What does everyone else wear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Wear it, I wish more people would. Not just as part of a three piece either.

Even in a business casual wardrobe a few nice waistcoats for wearing with smart pants is a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

No Pants wrote: »
    What does everyone else wear?

Haven't started, but my understanding is the dress code is whatever your clients dress code is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It'll probably depend a lot on what types of consulting you're doing. For the average IT consultant, a 3-piece would be over the top, and could possibly even appear like you're trying to look fancy to cover up a lack of skill/knowledge. For high level management consulting it might be more appropriate.

Haven't started, but my understanding is the dress code is whatever your clients dress code is.
    Any chance you could find out? As has been said before, client interaction will dictate quite a bit. I like to wear the trousers and waistcoat with an open shirt, but it's overkill for a regular day in the office. There it can sometimes give people the wrong impression of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Honestly when I see people wearing three piece suits I assume they have some sort of mental disorder or are trying to hide something.

The best option is to just wear a suit like a normal person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Three piece suits have not been in fashion for ten years or more.

In a business setting, they will look a little bit off key, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I would definitely notice a man in a three piece, very dapper and quite sexy actually.

I don't think that's what a working man should be going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

I haven't worn a three piece suit since 1998.
    I have however worn single breasted, two-button suits for the past 13+ years.
    During that time i have collated some fantastic, and not to mention expensive, ties, suits, shoes etc.

And for the past two years + i haven't worn a tie at all.

The people i know who wear three piece suits at work these days... i (and most other people i work with) consider to be pompous asswipes.

A good single breasted suit, a fantastic shirt (open collar) is the order of the day in Dublin these days.

Times change.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Pickled Dick

Yes this is true. You could come off as clownish, eccentric and snobbish OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I would wear three piece to a wedding they look great but not to work. That being said I worked in a university before and a colleague always wore waistcoats but he could really pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭podger456

Nay. Our office is formal, 1,000+ people, and haven't seen them in any great numbers since the 90s. Occasionally you'd see an old boy wearing one, usually double breasted to emphasise how long they've been lying around the wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You've answered your own question.

You need to dress to fit in with whatever your current consulting assignment is. If you're assigned to something where a three-piece is just a little better than what everyone else is wearing, then go for it. Otherwise, don't.

Simples.

Welcome to the world of consulting, I hope you don't get assigned to too many casual-dress clients :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Oh God, is the Tiger raising its head again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

IT Consulting? Business consulting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

My rule of thumb is the dress on the smart side of the client. If client site is an office where everyone is always in suit and tie, then you can probably get away with three-piece. Conversely, if the code is trousers and open-neck shirt then don't go beyond a two-piece with a tie.

The key is to look professional, and put some small distance between you and the client, without coming across as aloof. What is important though is that your suit and shirt be of good quality. [Edit: And shoes. Never forget the shoes]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Hold fire on wearing the three piece for a few months ,then your knowledge of what every one else is wearing will direct you.

I went from a bus cas company to a Formal suit company in Jan 2012 ,I have a three piece in my wardrobe too and have never worn it into work.
    The only time I have seen one worn is by the guy who also wears a neon lime green suit. I think he was dropped on his head as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some people can pull it off, and that's because it either suits their personality (they're the big showey salesman in the office) or because they've done it for so long that it's what they do.

My father in law wears a three piece suit to work. But he gets away with because he's done it for 40 years and it's now part of his personal trademark. Clients and colleagues would think he looks strange in anything else.

If the place where you work is business casual, then it sounds like turning up in a two-piece suit would turn a few heads, never mind a 3 piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

If you're comfortable wearing it wear it however if the work environment is business casual it would probably be seen as a little much.

IT Consulting? Business consulting?

Its Business consulting.

• Advertisement

Three piece suits were all over the high street in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Three piece suits were all over the high street in 2010.

News to me. I can't remember the last time that I saw somebody wearing one in a professional setting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Wore a 3 piece one day and all i got was "when is the wedding?" off everybody.

Never again.

Wore a 3 piece one day and all i got was "when is the wedding?" off everybody.

Never again.
    I think they look a lot better than a regular two piece. Of course, that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I'd say definitely don't wear it. I work in banking and it's a very suit-centric office. I don't think I've seen a 3 piece suit in there in months, and when I did it's noticable.

As others have said, if you're cultivating a quirky or super-dapper image (are you going to start wearing bow ties, or will you always be wearing highly polished wingtips?) you'd probably get away with it over time, but otherwise don't wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If you can sell it like Jack Donaghy sells the tux, I say go for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I think they look a lot better than a regular two piece. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I went to buy a suit for own wedding a few months ago and was told not get a three piece, as they are just not worn anymore, and this was from Louis Copeland.

I went to buy a suit for own wedding a few months ago and was told not get a three piece, as they are just not worn anymore, and this was from Louis Copeland.

I personally wouldn't trust any recommendations from there. My experience and same with others I know is that they seem more concerned with selling you whatever they can, than sending you out in the right suit for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I personally wouldn't trust any recommendations from there. My experience and same with others I know is that they seem more concerned with selling you whatever they can, than sending you out in the right suit for you.

My expieriences with the Team At LC's would be very different to your post.
    I have bought suits there since 2001 and they have never steered me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Not to de-rail the thread, but if he actively tried to not sell me something, rather than up sell. Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

Advertisement