Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks

Options
  • 30-12-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Well when are everybody's mocks starting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My very wise teacher( the man was actually very intelligent) told us the mocks are just the mocks. They are good for getting a feel of the stress during an exam and getting your timing right. But that's about it. They don't really show where you are at as they can be to easy or too hard.

They are not written by the Lc examiners so there is no point believing that if it came up in mocks, it will come up in June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

I fail to see how that has any relation to the question, hfallada.

Start of February... Wonderful!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would guess most schools will do them between Feb. 3rd and 15th, in the run up to the mid-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 eimearo124

10th February!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

27th of January, way too early and not enough time to study everything but I'm not too pushed about the mocks as it really means nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

Week after midterm, sickening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

End of January running into February and I've done nothing for it!!!! Anyone else in the same boat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

I studied every day (doing a whole paper in one subject) from when I got off for christmas... Then my mother told me to take christmas day off and I haven't gotten back into it D:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

missguided wrote: »
    Week after midterm, sickening :(
    Ah same here, but I think that's reasonable, ensures that it's more like the real thing :)
    yoho139 wrote: »
    I studied every day (doing a whole paper in one subject) from when I got off for christmas... Then my mother told me to take christmas day off and I haven't gotten back into it D:

Ah well I suppose you should take New Years Day off likewise :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think mine starts on the Wednesday after the February midterm or a week after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Monday 24th February, the week after the midterm. I prefer it this way as you have more covered and get a chance to revise for them, giving a more accurate picture of where you're at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Post mid-term start date means for those schools sending papers out to be corrected the results could be back quite late.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

Mine start on the 29th of January! Ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

Mine start Wednesday Feb 5th untill the 14th!

I think its better that way to be honest, that way they're over and done with before midterm!

Sucette! wrote: »

I think its better that way to be honest, that way they're over and done with before midterm!

It also gives the teachers a chance to correct them if they are being done in-house. Outside correctors can take quite a while to get the papers back to schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

Mine are on the 27th January so I more than likely won't be getting many spoilers! 👎

When are the mods going to post the official Pres/Mocks thread that is posted every year? You know the title goes like Mocks 2014 *read before posting*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Sucette! wrote: »

Mines the exact same XD

Got mine today, starts Monday 3rd February! Cramming that weekend, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

cferry3 wrote: »
    Mine are on the 27th January so I more than likely won't be getting many spoilers! 👎

Ah maybe not for your first few subjects but after that you'll get some I'm sure. My pres start the 30th so not too long after you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

niallharty wrote: »
    When are the mods going to post the official Pres/Mocks thread that is posted every year? You know the title goes like Mocks 2014 *read before posting*

This thread will probably just have a name change when they get started! ;)

This thread will probably just have a name change when they get started! ;)

Oh ok thanks for letting me know

All my teachers keep talking about how there are three main companies that make pre-exam papers. I know 2 of them are DEB and Examcraft from looking at old threads on here. Does anyone know what the third one could be?

All my teachers keep talking about how there are three main companies that make pre-exam papers. I know 2 of them are DEB and Examcraft from looking at old threads on here. Does anyone know what the third one could be?

There used to be the Munster Examining Board but I think they are gone now.
    There is also Mocks.ie. I know there was another company sent fliers round to schools a couple of years ago but all I can remember was they were based in Kerry - I don't know if they are still going.

It's a right money spinner for the main companies involved.

Paying €100 for these mocks...find it fairly ridiculous.

spurious wrote: »
    There used to be the Munster Examining Board but I think they are gone now.
    There is also Mocks.ie. I know there was another company sent fliers round to schools a couple of years ago but all I can remember was they were based in Kerry - I don't know if they are still going.

It's a right money spinner for the main companies involved.

Yeah I'm sure it is especially when the students don't have much of a choice only to take part

Paying €100 for these mocks...find it fairly ridiculous.

I agree. Any decent teacher who has had a class group for a while has a fair idea of how his/her students are going to do in June.
    In some cases, the course isn't even finished so a mock exam is pointless. The quality of papers and correction from the mock companies is dubious at times too.

In our school we never charged the students for mocks, but to run them (without corrections, which we did in-house) cost over 2000 euro each year. That could have been four or five new computers instead.

Having to pay is an interesting situation for people with medical cards - they are exempt from paying the exam fee, but have to pay for mocks? There's one for the parents' committee I think.

When will anyone have 'spoilers' up? I've just realised how screwed I am for these mocks!

cferry3 wrote: »
    When will anyone have 'spoilers' up? I've just realised how screwed I am for these mocks!

When someone has sat a mock exam.
    Of course then we have the 'what company was that?' fun.

• Advertisement

My mocks start on the 27th so I doubt anyone will have sat one by then!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement