Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Christmas/Women's Christmas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd heard of women's Xmas in terms of "men do the cooking today", but that's about it. I'd never heard of anyone celebrating it nor even experienced it since Xmas has been an "all hands" affair in my family at least since I was 12.

In our house little Xmas was traditionally the day on which the decorations all come down.

I wasn't aware there was any kind of big party scene around it until it was mentioned on boards that the lady langers go nuts every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

6th Jan always the day that Christmas officially ended and the tree etc came down. On a slightly different but related note I have neighbours who had decorations visible from outer space up in mid November who for some bizarre reason now have them down or off. note mid November is not Christmas 30th December is Christmas.....

Yes. That's so odd. Up in advent ( or before) - down in Chrustmas. Which lasts until the 6th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Is little Christmas not the epiphany on the 6th of January?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

6th January = Epiphany
    6th January = Little Christmas
    6th January = 12th day of Christmas
    6th January = Women's Christmas
    6th January = day the decs come down

It's a wonderful feast day! Packs it all in!

Munster women seem to have spread the feast day to Dublin, which was how I got to hear of it.

To be fair, it's such a depressing f_cking time, you'd invent a celebration if there wasn't one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I never heard of it. It was never mentioned when I was growing up, nor in school. I heard of it only in the past 2 or 3 years after some work colleagues from the west mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

never heard of it either

Munster women seem to have spread the feast day to Dublin, which was how I got to hear of it.

Element of the menfolk allowing the mots a night out as they're too sick with drink to bother themselves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

6th January = Epiphany

Also Dia de Los Reyes Magos (Three Wise Men Day) in Spain and the day when the kids get their pressies from the Wise Men (as opposed to Santa like in other countries). Also a national holiday where families have their final Chrimbo dinner. I'll be back there just in time to drown my NY blues. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm from Kerry and yes, people do celebrate it. I thought the whole country did! Whoops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

What do they want their own Christmas for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hard to believe so few know about it, if only because this very thread pops up in late December early January every year!

Never heard of anyone celebrating it. We always knew it as the official last day of the Christmas season. You should have the tree and decorations down before the 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I moved to Kerry a few years ago and its the first time I heard of it. Seems like some sort of ICA or Macra type thing.
    It might not be a great night to get ones hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Were you being sarcastic? :)
    No, it does happen. Groups of women heading out as if it's a hen.

It's more for auld ones, and a few younger ones who tag along with them.

My friend's mostly female workplace had a night out for it one year, and they went to a strip show for the laugh. A flower-arranging circle (comprising ladies of a more mature vintage) went utterly nuts at it. Post menopausal decrease in libido my ear! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

No, it does happen. Groups of women heading out as if it's a hen.

It's more for auld ones, and a few younger ones who tag along with them.

My friend's mostly female workplace had a night out for it one year, and they went to a strip show for the laugh. A flower-arranging circle (comprising ladies of a more mature vintage) went utterly nuts at it. Post menopausal decrease in libido my ear! :pac:

My best friend used to organise us for it. It was basically a meal and then hit as many pubs as possible. There would be 10-15 of us just having fun.

I haven't been on one since 2006 because my best friend went and died on us 6 years ago today at the grand old age of 46.

I miss her :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

A few of my friends in Galway celebrate it, just a gathering of women for a few quiet drinks, not the hen party described above, much calmer type effort..

Galway ladies were always a lot more civilised than those trollops below in Cark. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Chucken wrote: »
    My best friend used to organise us for it. It was basically a meal and then hit as many pubs as possible. There would be 10-15 of us just having fun.

I haven't been on one since 2006 because my best friend went and died on us 6 years ago today at the grand old age of 46.

Ah shyte. This week is a very tough time of year for you so... :(

My friends and I don't bother with it because of work next day/being all partied out, but it's great craic I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not really no! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This seems to have had a revival recently, but I haven't heard of it in a good few years now.

does anyone still celebrate this, and is it only in Cork/Kerry?

We celebrated this, but I am from Kerry. As a child, our Mom would be spoiled by us all on this day especially after all the trojan work she would always do for everyone over the Christmas Period! This was her day off so to speak :) We would buy something for our grand-mothers also for this day.

Thought it was done throughout the country to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Ah, boggers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Heard of it, but I've never heard\seen of people celebrating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It's celebrated in West Limerick anyway. My mum has gone out on a girls only night on January 6th in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Grew up in Athlone, family is half dub.

The only mention I ever heard of the 6th of January was that Italians get their presents from Befana on that day.

No woman in my family ever celebrated "little christmas" or "Nollaig na mBan" and to be honest I didn't have a notion it was actually a done thing until this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

"Never heard of it" needs to be added to the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

I've heard of it, but had never celebrated it. That is, until I told my fiancé (an Englishman who'd never heard of it) it's a big holiday in the Irish calendar. He knows I was only havin him on, but we celebrate it every year now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Is it still Xmas or what? Loads still have trees up etc but who is still celebrating like it's xmas?

This 6th of January lark needs to be stopped and everything took down New years day.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

6th January = Epiphany

6th January = the day the children around here go back to school, always thought they were off on January 6th.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Seriously?! does it not exist outside Munster? Does that mean we're inbred?

Anyway, yeah it's sad if such traditions die out so quick once entering the pale. It's not exactly a big country so how would one not know about it from past Christmases....from literature or from film/television even?

I'm from Limerick, I'm 35 and it's not something I'd ever heard of it until a few years ago when my parents became good friends with some people from Cork. My parents hadn't ever heard of it before that either. It's a localised tradition, not a national one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Chucken wrote: »

That's very sad - but maybe it would be nice to revive it in her honour. Get together on the 6th and remember her in a positive way by talking about the fun nights ye had.

Like someone else said this can be a sad time of year so anything positive to liven things up is good.

I don't really celebrate it as Women's Christmas myself but I know lots who do in Dublin. When I was a child we celebrated it as a family and lit 12 Candles and each person picked a candle to see which one would last longer. The person whose candle lasted longest would live longest. It was the last day of Christmas and the day you took down the decorations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I'm in Cork and celebrate this every year. About 12 or so friends meet for a meal and a few drinks - nothing extreme and definitely not a strip show. We always have a great time but this year we will be missing one as one of the group died last Feb. We will remember her on the night and will have a toast in her honour. This is a tradition that I love and will always make an effort to continue it..

Advertisement