Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sometimes in cases like this its better to allow the person to die with dignity than put them through all this when the chances of any meaningful recovery are non existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Sometimes in cases like this its better to allow the person to die with dignity than put them through all this when the chances of any meaningful recovery are non existent.

I know it sounds cold, removed, & harsh...but at the end of the day, there are fates worse than death. A permanent vegetative state is one of those instances if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Myrddin wrote: »
    I know it sounds cold, removed, & harsh...but at the end of the day, there are fates worse than death. A permanent vegetative state is one of those instances if you ask me.

I have to agree here. It's terrible but necessary at this stage

cadaliac wrote: »
    I have to agree here. It's terrible but necessary at this stage

I think technically he still falls into the class of persistent vegetative state at the mo, but from 12 months on, it's classed as permanent. It'll be six months in a coma in two weeks or so...so a long way to go yet. It's hard to really discuss it when updates are so rare, for all we know things are very different than they seem...but you would think good news would be made public, so people at this stage I think can be forgiven for assuming the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Am i the only one left with blind hope? I'm certain he's gonna wake up whether its tomorrow, next week or next yr. I know all the odds are against but miracles do happen. Come on Michael!

• Advertisement

Am i the only one left with blind hope?

Hardly, I don't think there's a person on the planet that doesn't want him to recover. However, the literature at this point seems to suggest that after this long in a PVS (persistent vegetative state), he will be met with significant challenges should he come around. It seems to be the case that the longer someone is like this, the less likely recovery actually becomes. The last official update was a very positive one, but since then, there has been no news & naturally speculation & rumour once again take hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Am i the only one left with blind hope? I'm certain he's gonna wake up whether its tomorrow, next week or next yr. I know all the odds are against but miracles do happen. Come on Michael!

They do but it would have happened by now.
    There are some things that are worse than death and what he's headed for is one such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Amazing news wish him all the best on what will surely be a tough road in rehab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Bild are reporting that he has opened his eyes and has communicated with his wife and children.

http://www.bild.de/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher/aus-koma-aufgewacht-und-in-reha-klinik-verlegt-36406634.bild.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

im assuming he is a vegetable?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

lolosaur wrote: »
    im assuming he is a vegetable?

Post reported. Have some respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Was only wondering yesterday what the latest was. C'mon schumi pull out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,963 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great news. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Great news, hopefully he makes the best recovery possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Nice one Michael, never doubted you for a second.

Keep the recovery coming!

bajer101 wrote: »
    Bild are reporting that he has opened his eyes and has communicated with his wife and children.

http://www.bild.de/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher/aus-koma-aufgewacht-und-in-reha-klinik-verlegt-36406634.bild.html

Now that, if true, is nothing short of incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Myrddin wrote: »
    Now that, if true, is nothing short of incredible.

I know that he's far from out of the woods yet but I consider the news that he is out of a coma as something positive.

doubledown wrote: »
    I know that he's far from out of the woods yet but I consider the news that he is out of a coma as something positive.

Yes it is positive, it's a step in the right direction. To me though the previous official update kinda suggested he was out of coma status, or was at least beginning to come out of it (moments of awareness). This newest update is just confirming it. It's the last we'll probably hear for a long, long time...I wish him well & hope to god his quality of life is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That`s a disgusting comment to make. Take a months holiday from the motorsport forum

To be fair, the wording lacks any empathy or delicacy, and could have been put infinitely more sympathetically. However in reading the very sketchy reports and the fact that this is all very low key, I wouldn't be holding out for a full recovery - honestly my initial thoughts were albeit regrettably along a similar vein...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Irish Times reporting he has left hospital. Great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't speak German, but the language of the reports in English is quite particular.

BBC says "Michael Schumacher has left hospital". As opposed to "Michael Schumacher has been taken out of hospital" for instance.

I'm really praying for a miracle here. I want to see him smile again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Brilliant news.
    The man is just too strong to give up.
    Long road ahead but surely signs are good if he is out of hospital even to be transferred to another.

Chuffed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Johnny Be Goode

That is great news, thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

This has happened very suddenly. Definitely encouraging that he is said to be communicating, but Im concerned about the lack of detail in the information being released.

Hoping and hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Cautiously optimistic, the news is obviously positive but the lack of detail is still a bit of a concern.

Forza Michael!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

This has happened very suddenly. Definitely encouraging that he is said to be communicating, but Im concerned about the lack of detail in the information being released.

Hoping and hoping for the best.

It was announced very suddenly alright but it does not really mean that it happened very suddenly.
    There is very little information in the statement from the Schumacher team but it's been like that from the start.
    Hopefully it really is good news.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Sorry to be speculative, but I reckon he's been awake for some time, but nothing reported until they were ready to release him to rehab. It's all far too sudden.

Keep fighting Michael!

Advertisement