Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aims for 2014

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Check and check! Mentally this has been a pretty revelationary year :)
    Belly is on life support too. Ill get ya fecker -__-

Off topic, but have you really managed 45k posts in 6 years? That's insane. Put that dedication into getting rid of the belly and you'll be running marathons in no length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

A few random haphazard ones I have in my head.

bulgarian split squat x bw
    weighted dip x bw
    weighted pullup x bw
    build up some more savings
    keep improving in my job
    start a small side business for the craic and to prove to myself it can be done
    get full license
    visit a few european countries if only for an overnight trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Get out of Ireland
    Make new, better friends
    Meet someone that isn't a headwreck. I'm done with being a commitmentphobe and am ready to settle down.
    Be happy

Pretty achievable I think

Wow, so were not quite at the end of 2014 but
    - I'm still in Ireland and it was the best decision I made! I almost went to Australia, and Canada, but didn't. Thankfully!
    - I met someone who isn't a headwreck. He's an ex, but the only guy I ever really loved and he's been one of my closest friends even when we were split up. We are engaged, although I hate describing it like that, it's more taking our 8 years (albeit bumpy) relationship to the next level.
    - I have never ever been as happy.

Certainly makes a change from this time last year, being messed around, feeling worthless and like dirt, and like things would never get better. I was certainly wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lucasmaximus

Awesome thread! Its incredibly interesting and inspiring to read people's hopes and ambitions at a given time and then to see these accomplished or change and goal posts moved. Personally, I didn't have a set list at the beginning of the year but it would have gone something like this;

1. To 'come out' to my parents and remaining friends and to be confident to disclose it to new people at the right time.
    2. To finally get my body into the shape I've been aiming for since I was 16 (24 now).
    3. To get back on track in terms of furthering my education.
    4. Quit smoking tobacco and dramatically reduce my THC intake.
    5. Devote more time to friends and family.
    6. Start doing something in music.
    7. Find someone for belly rubs and tummy hugs, someone I can be proud to introduce to my folks because we make eachother happy above any other attributes.

1. Happy to say I did come out this year and though its taking time, they are coming round to the idea. Im not fully there with being upfront about it with new people however, all in good time.
    2. Got to abdominal definition this year after years of tweaking exercises and diet, and falling off the wagon of course. It was bikram yoga that got me over the last hurdle really.
    3. Started an access course in September designed to prepare me for full time study next year, and doing well in said course.
    4. Quit smoking during summer and only have a little green on occassion now. Mission accomplished!
    5. Really going backwards with this one, especially family, must try harder!
    6. Pending...
    7. This outweighs all the others, but as a previous poster said, to actually prioritise it like that in reality is counter-productive, but I am guilty of that which has done nothing to achieve it but done everything to accentuate no. 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Off topic, but have you really managed 45k posts in 6 years? That's insane. Put that dedication into getting rid of the belly and you'll be running marathons in no length.

Running my 1st marathon next week actually :pac:

My old job allowed a lot of time literally doing nothing so the post count went a bit nuts :o Its slowed down dramatically over the last year or so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've adopted a more aggressive attitude towards my Plenty of Fish account and have tried messaging more ladies to no avail whatsoever.

Odd thing happened on this front. There have been a few who've caught my eye. I messaged one a few times before it dawned on me that she wasn't interested. Anyway, I just moved house and she gets the bus into town at the same stop I do which is a bit random.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Running my 1st marathon next week actually :pac:

My old job allowed a lot of time literally doing nothing so the post count went a bit nuts :o Its slowed down dramatically over the last year or so

Best of luck in the marathon PC
    Odd thing happened on this front. There have been a few who've caught my eye. I messaged one a few times before it dawned on me that she wasn't interested. Anyway, I just moved house and she gets the bus into town at the same stop I do which is a bit random.

I'm keeping my mod hat off ancapailldorcha but you know the drill re: online dating :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm keeping my mod hat off ancapailldorcha but you know the drill re: online dating :)

Thanks and apologies.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Any more updates for this thread?

Not long to go in 2014 to achieve these goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Have more confidence and stop putting myself down.
    Travel some more.
    Get a pay rise to match my new job title.
    Go back to college again.
    Continue succeeding in controlling and maintaining my mental health at the level I'm currently at, so I don't have to go back on meds.
    Spend more time with my friends.

1. Tick.
    2. Tick.
    3. Tick.
    4. In progress!
    5. Tick.
    6. Tick.
    7. Got a new job, better title, more pay. Not on the list, but tick! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ok. I normally don't do resolutions. But I decided to set myself a few goals for 2014!

1) Reach the ever elusive goal of 13 stone. I was 17 stone a year and a half ago, aimed for 13 stone. Got down to 13.5 but never quite made it.

Kind of acheived this. But I didn't approach it properly and didn't stay at the weight. So my aim for 2015 will be to reach 13 stone, but stay there.
    2) Train BJJ/MMA regularly. I'm too inconsistent.

This started well but I had a number of injuries, the last being a bad one, which saw mw be terribly inconsistent. I went back training a couple of weeks ago though which is good.
    3) Become good at BJJ. I'm terrible at it. But the New Year is gonna help me kick on. I'm going to start going to the advanced classes to compete (and get badly beaten) by the higher belts in order to get better. This starts next week.

Same as above, but when I WAS training I was going to the advanced classes too and continue to do so, so this one will continue into2015.
    4) Start sparring in MMA. Again, more getting beaten up. But i've recently invested in some good equipment to get myself into this situation so i'm gonna get stuck in. Luckily my boss is sound so I can come to work with bruises etc.

As above.
    5) Go to more gigs.

Smashed this. I have a list of bands I want to see live before it's too late and i've marked the majority off this year. I already have tickets for 5 gigs bought for 2015 and this will continue.

6) Be more assertive at work. I've recently been promoted in work and have been with the company a lot longer than a lot of the people who work there, but still feel a bit reluctant to act like a "senior member of staff". This needs to change as I now have new found responsibility.
    7) Finally complete Couch to 5k.

As above again. Last injury was the feet so this was off the table.
    8) Cycle to work!

This was a success. I took the bus to work about a dozen times this year. Rest of the time I was using my own steam to get me there :)
    9) Improve my Spanish. I lived there for a while but have slacked badly on this.

Was able to do this by going to Spain a couple of times and speaking almost exclusively Spanish. Going to keep improving in 2015.

Advertisement