Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Big Knox wrote: »
    While I'm not a huge fan of that style of combat saying it doesn't belong in a Middle Earth setting is being pedantic. As is the anti-hero criticism! I do think more weighty combat like Dark Souls would probably suit the game better but definitely don't write it off yet.

Who has written it off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i have, but I also hadn't posted in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I am a big LoTR geek so I'll buy it even if its awfull :L

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Big Knox wrote: »
    While I'm not a huge fan of that style of combat saying it doesn't belong in a Middle Earth setting is being pedantic. As is the anti-hero criticism! I do think more weighty combat like Dark Souls would probably suit the game better but definitely don't write it off yet.

Pedantic? But surely the whole point of IP spin offs are that they fit with the IP no? Especially with "established longer than anyone on this thread's parents were born" kind of IP. I see no one here going "Yeah, that looks like a Middle Earth game." It's far, far from a death knell for the game but more of a criticism of this game being matched with that IP, which is where the whole "I'd feel a lot better about this if it was it's own IP" angle is coming from.

It's like SimCity Societies, apart from its problems as a game itself, the biggest criticism was that it shouldn't have had the SimCity IP logo tagged onto it because the game felt absolutely nothing like a SimCity game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

PC Gamer had a hands on with this: http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/shadow-of-mordor-hands-on-lord-of-the-rings-with-batmans-combat-system/

Sounds fun, but as the writer says, it all depends on if there's more to it than the nemesis system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

This game looks pretty amazing actually!

I'd agree with you that there is a slight air of shoehorning the game into the middle earth setting etc. however from the publisher's point of view, it's gonna be a far safer bet to ride the coat tails of the LOTR ip and take advantage of the built in audience in order to sell the game.

While I would much rather have a brand new ip that did a bit of the creative legwork by itself, I understand the decision.

And at the end of the day, i'd much rather have an awesome game rather than a new ip, regardless of the setting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

They could have come up with a more original name. :)
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadows_of_Mordor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Another hands-on from EuroGamer.

Monolith might just pull it off (as they have in the past)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Looks like everyone in the trade has had their mitts on this
    IGN's take plus a new video on the weapons/rune upgrade system.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/22/e3-2014-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

TBH as a Tolkien fan I've never found any game particular suiting the setting. Although I did have a guilty pleasure of the Tower Towers and Return of the King PS2 co-op games, but they were movie based rather than book.

Still, I like the look of this as a game, but that's just it.

• Advertisement

Dair. wrote: »
    Another hands-on from EuroGamer.

Monolith might just pull it off (as they have in the past)!

Wow who ever wrote that done a great job, sounds fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its a load of sh1t calling this Nemesis stuff dynamic, I was reading an article about it today and checked the date in case it was an old April Fools or something, I mean they got a voice actor to record the dialogue for one thing so it'll just be 2 or 3 option trees like any other RPG, I really doubt they put much work into it either for the sake of a quick cash in that will be forgotten about after the film dies down.

Studios seem to be so desperate for any "hook" whatsoever these days, I fully expect the hacking element in Watchdogs to be a big let down aswell.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its a load of sh1t calling this Nemesis stuff dynamic, I was reading an article about it today and checked the date in case it was an old April Fools or something, I mean they got a voice actor to record the dialogue for one thing so it'll just be 2 or 3 option trees like any other RPG, I really doubt they put much work into it either for the sake of a quick cash in that will be forgotten about after the film dies down.

Studios seem to be so desperate for any "hook" whatsoever these days, I fully expect the hacking element in Watchdogs to be a big let down aswell.

you have a great outlook on games, I wonder if your outlook on life has anything to do with it:pac:

Eh? I do have a great outlook on games in that I love them, I just dont like being patronised by a companies marketing department, theres nothing groundbreaking or new here and its definitely not dynamic. South Park The Stick of Truth gave you the option of softening up enemies before a battle like a million other games, thats all thats happening here no dynamic emergent storylines or any of that fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What was in the article that says it's not dynamic? All I've read is basic overviews of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

I'm quite surprised with the reviews, I was on the fence about getting it but now I'm really really thinking about getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

got a 9.5 at polygon, im getting really interested in this for my ps4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's looked great in trailers, but i assumed it'd be average at best. Delighted that it's getting good reviews, and i might just pick this up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Reviews have been very strong across the board almost. One thing they all mention is the Nemesis system, apparently it's been implemented really well and it actually works.

I don't have the money to buy it now but will definitely get at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm a big Tolkien fan but usually am disappointed with any of the multimedia franchise... This even looks more non-cannon than anything but still I think I'll be giving it a bash as it looks like a fun game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

According to gameinformer (I know I know :pac:) its not recommended for beginners .how hard could it possibly be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

According to gameinformer (I know I know :pac:) its not recommended for beginners .how hard could it possibly be?

If that means it is actually going to be challenging than I am definitely getting this game. Sick of all the easy games these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The reviews would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I was on the fence about this but the reviews have swayed my decision. Gonna pick it up Tuesday from the US store ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I preordered this back in April but was half expecting to see bad reviews and cancel my order just before launch.
    Reviews are surprisingly good. Looks like the combat system is well implemented (mix of AC and Batman) and the way which the enemy AI reacts and evolves is getting good feedback.

Amazon UK have it at a good price (GBP 37)
    http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Middle-Earth-Shadow-Mordor-Xbox-One/product/B00JB29YG4?active=price_amazon

Must say I'm looking forward to this... Just have to finish off some other titles!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Combat looks amazing but I'll hang on a while as I'm getting natural doctrine next week :).

The reviews would suggest otherwise.
    Yeah Im sure they tested it to its limits in the few hours they were given to rush them out before everyone else. If the dialog tree is voice acted its not going to be a dynamic experience, no more than Mass Effect was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm happy about this as well. We need more games that don't hold our hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Yeah Im sure they tested it to its limits in the few hours they were given to rush them out before everyone else. If the dialog tree is voice acted its not going to be a dynamic experience, no more than Mass Effect was.

How do you know that? Are you just assuming they only recorded a certain number of lines in case the shadow-AAA-ninjas came in and stopped them for fear they make other games look bad? I sounds like a Massive assumption.

Skyrim had voice acting.

Would you rather just text you can read? That's not quiet as immersive.

What games immersive, dynamic story are you using as the yardstick here?

Advertisement