Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2014 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Rafa will return in January for the Abu Dhabi exhibition. Quite a long lay-off for him. Will be interested in see how he plays there and at Aussie.

I read Cowan's opinion on Murray's coach situation. I say give it more time. Mauresmo is only on board for 5 months and he was with Lendl for 3 years. If things don't improve after a year then I'd change it up. Murray doesn't seem like the type to jump to dumping the coach.

Davis Cup singles draw made. First is Wawrinka vs Tsonga then Federer vs Monfils. Reverse singles the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RosyLily wrote: »
    Davis Cup singles draw made. First is Wawrinka vs Tsonga then Federer vs Monfils. Reverse singles the next day.

Don't forget the doubles, they are Saturday and reverse singles Sunday.

Wawrinka gives Switzerland the lead, beats Tsonga. Will be interesting to see how Federer plays against Monfils.

Wawrinka gives Switzerland the lead, beats Tsonga. Will be interesting to see how Federer plays against Monfils.

****e.

Monfils was great but watching these performances can't help but think nobody in men's tennis has pissed away so much natural talent inn the last decade, such a ****ing mental midget. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    ****e.

Monfils was great but watching these performances can't help but think nobody in men's tennis has pissed away so much natural talent inn the last decade, such a ****ing mental midget. :(

I feel like that's the story with a lot of French players, Tsgona and Gasquet are both incredible on their day but just can't keep it together when it really matters. But Monfils has to be the worst of them all, he has so so much talent and could definitely win multiple slams if he really applied himself.

But I suppose that's the difference between Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and those kind of players. Talent only gets you so far.

France going with Olympic bronze medalists Benneteau and Gasquet for doubles tomorrow. Up against Chiudinelli and Lammer. Looks to be in French favour but you never know!

Would like to see Switzerland win their first DC.

Always a swerve with the dbls, Gasman and Benneteau will defo play, but would be shocked if Stan or Roger did not play for Switzerland.

WaterLily. wrote: »
    I feel like that's the story with a lot of French players, Tsgona and Gasquet are both incredible on their day but just can't keep it together when it really matters. But Monfils has to be the worst of them all, he has so so much talent and could definitely win multiple slams if he really applied himself.

But I suppose that's the difference between Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and those kind of players. Talent only gets you so far.

I'd argue that Monfils has more attributes than both those especially Gasquet.

What are the flaws in his game? His court coverage is as good as Nadals, his speed immense, solid first serve and backhand and probably the best forehand in tennis, or at least up their with the one of Del Potro.

Sadly so often he can be really negative, he has spent his whole career playing defensively relying on the other player to make errors by pushing instead of utilising his beastly forehand in ending points quickly. Murray when young was guilty of this, but of course he evolved and won everything.

Monfils has the flamboyant personality, but in truth so often it is his lack of guts when playing and especially when closing a game which has killed him.

The French Open against Murray was a great example, on the back foot for the first two sets which Murray cruised, then went all out attack the next two sets and crushed Murray and then in the deciding set with Murray on the rack he bottled it and lost it 6-0. :rolleyes:

Have a look at this, break and set down and he tries this against Haas. Monfils has much more natural talent than Haas, but Haas is the one who has never been a mental midget and who has the better career? Monfils plays a trick shot to please the crowd, essentially giving up on the point, Haas does not acknowledge it, he would rather win the match.

And this at Wimbledon,some magic, but no effort most of the time. He lost against a much inferior but more determind opponent. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Always a swerve with the dbls, Gasman and Benneteau will defo play, but would be shocked if Stan or Roger did not play for Switzerland.

good call Swiss went with R Federer (SWI) / S Wawrinka (SWI) they're leading 2 sets to nil so far but are 2-1 down in third.

Edit: now 4-2 up in the third set!

• Advertisement

Good win for Fedrinka. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. Will Federer be the hero and win his match? Or will it be Wawrinka?

Could you imagine if Monfils lost a 5 setter and cost France the trophy!:eek:

Not seen any of the doubles but from all accounts Gasquet was ****ing dreadful, a risk if their ever was one picking him.

Should have played Vassellin with Benny, but ah well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not seen any of the doubles but from all accounts Gasquet was ****ing dreadful, a risk if their ever was one picking him.

Should have played Vassellin with Benny, but ah well.

Yes, he didn't play well, way too many mistakes. They knew he was the weak link and went after him, from what I could see.

Gasquet is playing ahead of Tsonga.

Which is as good a a bye.

Switzerland have won the Davis Cup. Pleased for Stan, hopefully ir sets him up for a good 2015. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Well done Switzerland, and in particular Fed. Absolutely awesome 3 sets of tennis. Still love Gasquet's backhand, though, what a weapon. He did give his all. I wonder what's going on with Tsonga?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Well done Switzerland, and in particular Fed. Absolutely awesome 3 sets of tennis. Still love Gasquet's backhand, though, what a weapon. He did give his all. I wonder what's going on with Tsonga?

French camp was saying elbow injury. Commentators on Eurosport alluded to "something psychological.":confused:

Delighted for Switzerland!! Was well-deserved. Stan played unbelievably all weekend. Hopefully it'll give him and Federer and boost for the 2015 season. It did wonders for Djokovic in 2011!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I know it was Gasquet (who played well enough in fairness), but that's probably some of the cleanest hitting I've ever seen Roger do.

Nick Saviano and Eugenie Bouchard have parted ways. Statement was released from Saviano, not Genie. Quite surprising since it seemed like they worked well together. Wonder will he join Laura Robson's team for 2015?:pac:

Simona Halep has hired Victor Ionita as her coach. She also has Thomas Hogsteadt on board as coaching consultant for the first 3 tournaments of the season. Ionita worked with Sorana Cirstea before.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Congrats Andy & Kim! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Murray and Sharapova are playing doubles on Sky Sports 3 right now. Once in a lifetime viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Del Potro has announced he's making his comeback in Brisbane. I seriously hope he's actually ready this time and not just coming back for the sake of the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Del Potro has announced he's making his comeback in Brisbane. I seriously hope he's actually ready this time and not just coming back for the sake of the new season.

Great line up in Brisbane!

Can't wait for new season and fit Rafa :)

As well as hiring Lindsay Davenport as part-time coach, Madison Keys has brought Wim Fissette on board.

Pretty decent duo! Looking forward to seeing if it'll make any difference to her game.

^ Keys looks like one of the best of the young American women. Now is the time to get that good team around her. Nobody needs another Sloane Stephens.

On a slightly less tennis-related note, picked up a bag of Sugarpova from TK Maxx.

Little did I know they were a year out of date!:(

Agnieszka Radwanska has hired Martina Navratilova as another coach. Tomasz Wiktorowski (sp?) still on the team.

Huge news imo!! Looks like Aga wants a Grand Slam in 2015. Biggest coaching coup, I think. Excited to see how it'll pan out.

Agnieszka Radwanska has hired Martina Navratilova as another coach. Tomasz Wiktorowski (sp?) still on the team.

Huge news imo!! Looks like Aga wants a Grand Slam in 2015. Biggest coaching coup, I think. Excited to see how it'll pan out.

Intriguing. I also read somewhere else that she was looking to put on a few kilos of muscle during the off season also.

Intriguing. I also read somewhere else that she was looking to put on a few kilos of muscle during the off season also.

Interesting!! All reads like someone aiming for a Grand Slam title next year imo. She's got a decent chance of winning any of them.

Would love to see her win one!! I love watching her play.

Interesting!! All reads like someone aiming for a Grand Slam title next year imo. She's got a decent chance of winning any of them.

Would love to see her win one!! I love watching her play.

I'd love to see her win a slam as well. She's too talented not to win one. I think for a player like radwanska, who's game relies so heavily on running and having good defense, she needs to win one sooner rather than later. I'm not saying she's over the hill or anything but she's not exactly on the young side of the game either.

• Advertisement

John Isner has hired Justin Gimelstob as his new coach. Perfect match those two.

Advertisement