Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a book thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

xiankiefer wrote: »
    Many thanks for your very kind endorsement of my book. Much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

-CK

How awesome is that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

The Keith Richards autobiography 'Life' is a very entertaining read.

I find the books by Michael Connolly very well written. If you like crime you'll most likely enjoy his books.

'The Shock Doctrine' by Naomi Klein is a well researched, if not a bit one sided book about foreign countries economic policies being enforced by outside influences such as the World Bank, IMF etc.

Anyone looking for a trilogy, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series is one of the best I have ever read.

Has everything, is extremely well written, and the level of depth to his story I found amazing.

Couldn't possibly do it justice, so I'm just going to leave it at that. Read it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

If ye like the Jack reacher books (which i do myself but getting formulaic now) try David Baldacci...he has a range of characters and has maybe done 4 books per character/pairing so theres a new ness about them all..

Sports - i'd dread any auyto/biographies but find them to be very blasse and not much detail. My wife got me a book over christmas on the 91-95 Dallas Cowboys, its very good and got another Cowboys history on the Kindle as a sample and will purchase it..

If you'd be into the religious/ templar wars try readinf Kate Mosse, might be a bit girly bit was very good. think i have something called teh Atlantis Gene on my Kindle too that i must get into

I have a long backlog to clear...

If you don't have one i'd recommend a Kindle download samples and you can see if ye like a book before buying it..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Count of Monte Cristo is the best book you'll ever read. FACT :)

Catch 22 is hilarious (Second World War satire) - brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Fantasy Fan. The name of the wind is excellent. Anything by Sanderson is also good(the fella who finished the wheel of time series) and of course any of david Gemmells books apart from troy where his wife took over when he died

Agree with The Name of The Wind. Kingkiller chronicals, I think they're called.

Can't wait for the next one.

Stuck on book 5 of The Wheel of Time, after enjoying the previous 4 despite their annoyances. This one seems to have gotten the better of me, however. Picked up the new Terry Pratchett one and have that almost finished, but not sure I can go back to WoT series.

Did you read them, raze_them_all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Knex. wrote: »

Stuck on book 5 of The Wheel of Time, after enjoying the previous 4 despite their annoyances. This one seems to have gotten the better of me, however. Picked up the new Terry Pratchett one and have that almost finished, but not sure I can go back to WoT series.

Yeah Kingkiller chronicles, march is the next release I think, Never got into the WOT. Have all the books in the house but never actually got around to reading them. must give it a lash at some stage, but from what I have been told the mid point is the lowest point in the series but it comes good again around book 7? could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Quit, quit right now. The amount of time I wasted on that Wheel of Time garbage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just finished Zlatans autobiography, one off the best books Ive read in a while.

I disagree about people dissing WOT, it finishes really strongly he just got caught up in the world he was writing for, something I feel might also happen to GRR Martin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

'The Third Policeman' by Flann O'Brien.

You will genuinely never look on the world the same way again once you've read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

For fantasy I just read the first of the Mistborn books The Fallen Empire and loved it.
    Anyone looking for a trilogy, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series is one of the best I have ever read.

Has everything, is extremely well written, and the level of depth to his story I found amazing.

Couldn't possibly do it justice, so I'm just going to leave it at that. Read it :D

Hello friend. I actually finished the second book (The Well of Ascension) on Saturday and I'm already stuck into the Hero of Ages. I reckon I'll have it wrapped up in the next week. They are amazing books, can't recommend them enough either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Never got into wheel of time myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Revolutionary Road, don't mind the film it's pants. Anyone 20 something right into 30 somethings it will really resonate with. Straightforward prose. Probably my favourite book of all time.

The subtleties and fundamentals of a relationship between two people are brilliantly portrayed as part of a damning indictment of suburban idealism.

That's my attempted 'reviewer' sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dmire

"The Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" by Ken Follett, two excellent books and both made in to mini-TV series. The Century of Giants Trilogy is also very good, book 3 is out later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Revolutionary Road, don't mind the film it's pants. Anyone 20 something right into 30 somethings it will really resonate with. Straightforward prose. Probably my favourite book of all time.

The subtleties and fundamentals of a relationship between two people are brilliantly portrayed as part of a damning indictment of suburban idealism.

That's my attempted 'reviewer' sentence.

Sounds like this should be in The Ladies Lounge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ah just for you I recommend Tom Clancy's posthumously released 'An Exactly Point Three Five Seven Caliber Bullet' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

Slattsy wrote: »
    Sounds like this should be in The Ladies Lounge :pac:
    Most of the imaginary exchanges take place in Frank's head - his viewpoint is given more agency in the novel so it's suitable for the lads....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How awesome is that :D

Just coz the author commented here I bought his book 'The Infinite Tides' for my kindle tonight.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just coz the author commented here I bought his book 'The Infinite Tides' for my kindle tonight.:)

Same here. Really enjoying it so far, thanks to the person that recommended it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It's on my to-buy list when I get some spare cash, the engagement of the author was a nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 2 xiankiefer

Well heck I was pretty pleased that someone recommended it. & Slattsy: although my book is very different, Revolutionary Road was a big influence--not in terms of the actually writing (Yates is great, but not really what I do) but in terms of how I dealt with--or tried to deal with--the American suburbs.

Thanks for reading it, all. Happy new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

xiankiefer wrote: »
    Well heck I was pretty pleased that someone recommended it. & Slattsy: although my book is very different, Revolutionary Road was a big influence--not in terms of the actually writing (Yates is great, but not really what I do) but in terms of how I dealt with--or tried to deal with--the American suburbs.

Thanks for reading it, all. Happy new year!

I've just finished my current book, i'm grabbing this to read next!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

2 Books which really moved me over the last few years were:

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
    The Road by Cormac mcCarthy

I was lucky enough to read both books before I seen either of the movies, thank god for that as Hollywood did these no justice ar all.
    I pity people who never got to enjoy good books and were tarnished by the Hollywood ruin of them.....

maybe that a good idea for another thread....TBC...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

kop-end wrote: »
    2 Books which really moved me over the last few years were:

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
    The Road by Cormac mcCarthy

I was lucky enough to read both books before I seen either of the movies, thank god for that as Hollywood did these no justice ar all.
    I pity people who never got to enjoy good books and were tarnished by the Hollywood ruin of them.....

maybe that a good idea for another thread....TBC...

The road is a great movie IMO. Maybe reading the book first ruins the experience of watching the movie. Either way, you can't compare a movie to a book, the book will win nearly every time.

I wonder if seeing the movie revolutionary road, the experience of reading it is totally ruined? By all accounts 'the count of monte cristo' is an amazing book but likewise I've seen the movie (two versions). Would I be wasting my time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Probably been said already or may be common knowledge but the Game of Thrones series are actually really good books. Well written but not testing easy read and never boring.

Advertisement