Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a book thread

Options
  • 26-12-2013 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Throw up the books you like.

I love the donavan creed books at the mo. Very entertaining.

The jack reacher series are very good too

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

On mobile so can't put up a link. Google "Zoklet required reading for humanity". First result is a pretty decent list.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Love Peter James 'Dead' series myself

corkgsxr wrote: »

Crikey do not get me started. :)

Actually I never seem to like any one book. As much as I love reading - and I really do - I have never closed a single book that ever really changed me or moved me that much. Rather - I read books in threads. Reading one - then a connected one - or one that influenced the author of the first one - and so on in a long chain until I hit a dead end.

Fact books - I guess Bad Science by Ben Goldacre had the most effect on me. In terms of life the universe and everything "Wherever you go there you are" had its good parts (tinged with a side of nonsense - but each reader should weed that out him or her self). And when it comes to fiction then aside from Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy I think the only books I keep coming back to would be Heinleins Stranger in a Strange world and his book I can not remember the name of right now about the moon colony.

If you have any doubts about your own humanity - or in fact if you think you are secure in your own humanity - then "Naked Lunch" is a must read.

The Dark Materials series were also so much better than that one failed film might let you know. If you saw the movie, delete it from your brain, and get the books.

Alas as much I love reading - a lot - I do not remember being moved by any one single book since I was in the Rhoald Dahl phase. As I said I tend to just get pulled into a thread or stream of books and come out of THAT changed. But I can never pin point a single book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

If you have any doubts about your own humanity - or in fact if you think you are secure in your own humanity - then "Naked Lunch" is a must read.
    Have to say, that was one of the most mind-bending books I've ever read - could not figure out what was happening the majority of the time, but it also had probably some of the funniest things I've ever read in a book as well, at parts. (recommend the Red Dwarf books - such as 'Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers', for fans of this and Hitch-Hikers)

I've read Ben Goldacre's articles in the Guardian a long time, without reading his book - and yes, recommended.

I read so much online, that it's been a long time since I've had time to spare for a book, but I'd recommend the Dune series, and (topical for the time) Nelson Mandela's biography 'Long Walk to Freedom', and (similarly) Brian Keenans 'An Evil Cradling'.

I'm a big fan of fact-based books like the latter two, which are based on real (and very raw) events - and can add to that, John Hersey's 'Hiroshima' - but that can be quite tough reading.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I love the donavan creed books at the mo. Very entertaining.

The jack reacher series are very good too

Plus one on the jack reacher books...I've read them all and they never fail to disappoint.

Fancied something light to read over the Christmas...so I'm reading I, Partridge...Alan Patridge's autobiography....it's top notch so far with Partridge describing his childhood, adolescence and career in cringe inducing detail

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Reading 1984 by George Orwell at the moment, I'm poor to read and I take ages to finish a book but the last few I've read have been classics

The Great Gatsby
    The Old Man and the Sea
    Animal Farm

Would recommend all I've mentioned and, despite only being a third of the way through 1984, it's brilliant - especially given ye society we live in today with the recent NSA revelations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm generally a poor reader, I read about two books a year and it's something I'm trying to change but never quite manage to get there. That said here's a few that stick out

For fantasy I just read the first of the Mistborn books The Fallon Empire and loved it. I also enjoyed The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko.

Some others that I've read that I would recommend:

Sebastian Faulks - Birdsong
    Bill Bryson - A short history of nearly everything
    Richard English - Irish Freedom (The History of Nationalism in Ireland)
    Martin Dillon - The Shankill Butchers (A Case Study in Mass Murder)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

awec wrote: »
    Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series is good IMO.

I'm reading Ronan O'Gara's latest book at the moment for a bit of a change from fiction - decent enough.

+1 for the Jo Nesbo Harry Hole series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

For those of us that like Anne Rice vampire books I have been reading the 'Oldest Living Vampire' series by Rod Redux on the kindle. Very worthwhile reading. Reminds me of Anne Rice early novels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

D'Agger wrote: »
    Reading 1984 by George Orwell at the moment, I'm poor to read and I take ages to finish a book but the last few I've read have been classics

The Great Gatsby
    The Old Man and the Sea
    Animal Farm

Would recommend all I've mentioned and, despite only being a third of the way through 1984, it's brilliant - especially given ye society we live in today with the recent NSA revelations

Couldn't get into the great gatsby myself tryed to read it 3 times nd keep leaving it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

For anyone into their sport, Tyson's auotbiography is a really good read. Halfway through it now and enjoying it muchly!

If This is a Man by Primo Levi. Rough stuff but everyone should read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Couldn't get into the great gatsby myself tryed to read it 3 times nd keep leaving it

Didn't find it too hard going, it can be overly descriptive of simple things at times alright but I figured it's a short enough book so ploughed on which isn't like me I have to say
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    For anyone into their sport, Tyson's auotbiography is a really good read. Halfway through it now and enjoying it muchly!

Love a good autobiography, must check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Probably the most wonderful book I've read in years is The Infinite Tides by Christian Kiefer. Some info if interested: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13000877-the-infinite-tides

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 rodie1990

The Count of Monte Cristo is a brilliantly written book

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Love a good autobiography, must check that out

Please tell me it is a biography rather than an autobiography! I can't imagine Mike Tyson expresses himself too well through the medium of literature. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 xiankiefer

old gregg wrote: »
    Probably the most wonderful book I've read in years is The Infinite Tides by Christian Kiefer. Some info if interested: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13000877-the-infinite-tides

Many thanks for your very kind endorsement of my book. Much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

-CK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The Great Gatsby
    The Old Man and the Sea
    Animal Farm

I've started and failed to finish The Old Man and the Sea three times now.

I think I'm approaching it with the wrong mindset because of how short it is - I want to finish it in one sitting. If I feel I'm not going to get through it then I just leave it and go off and do something else.

I might chop it in two or three and I'll get through it.

I bought The Great Gatsby on Amazon for £1 or something. I still have to get around to that as well.

If I get into a book then I can devour it. I read The Client by John Grisham (500+ pages) in about two days. It is meant to be a page-turner but I really became immersed in it. It's a fantastic read. I'd heartily recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Please tell me it is a biography rather than an autobiography! I can't imagine Mike Tyson expresses himself too well through the medium of literature. ;)

On the issue of Mike Tyson, another book I'd recommend is The Playboy Interviews: They Played The Game.

It's a bit of a cliché at this stage to say that you read Playboy for the interviews/articles but the interviews in this book are superb.

The Mike Tyson one is really interesting. You get a great sense of the complexity of his personality from reading the interviewers notes about Tysons demeanour and actions during the time they spent together.

He was (and, in some ways, still is) a very troubled guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I think i've done all the Bill Bryson books now - very good.

Tried 1984 and got side tracked with other books - need to finish it.

Read Animal Farm at least once a year. Down and out in Paris and London was excellent.

Alan Partridge's new book had me in stitches. Also have Stephen Fry's autobiography to get through. Not enough hours in the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've read one of the Jo Nesbo Harry Hole series - got a couple more as presents. Certainly better than James Patterson, but that's not difficult.

Currently on the Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart, which is enjoyable, if a little frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I liked Diceman for a while but ended up quitting it before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Enders game by Orson Scott Card is a very good book.

The bourne identity is also a great read. :D

etxp wrote: »
    Enders game by Orson Scott Card is a very good book.

Indeed, the whole Ender series was excellent. You should also check out the Alvin Maker series by OSC.

If you like sci fi I would have to recommend the Well World series by Jack L Chalker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Currently hooked on The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson. It was made into a movie a year or two ago with Scarlett Johannsen (sp). Havnt seen it but have heard good things. Cons odeon the novel was written 61 years ago, it's a staggering piece of work IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Currently hooked on The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson. It was made into a movie a year or two ago with Scarlett Johannsen (sp). Havnt seen it but have heard good things. Cons odeon the novel was written 61 years ago, it's a staggering piece of work IMO.

Interesting,I'll give that a go.

American Murder fiction was way ahead of its time in the 60s to 80s, IMO.

If you liked that, you should give Truman Capotes In Cold Blood a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Norwegian by night - Derek b.miller

Halfway through this and have to say its fairly good,draws you in,although I'm not really a fan of crime novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

boobar wrote: »
    Plus one on the jack reacher books...I've read them all and they never fail to disappoint.

Fancied something light to read over the Christmas...so I'm reading I, Partridge...Alan Patridge's autobiography....it's top notch so far with Partridge describing his childhood, adolescence and career in cringe inducing detail

You have to listen to the I partridge audio book, Coogan reads it and it makes it 100 times better.

Military books - biographical
    Legionnaire - Simon Murray
    One bullet away - Nathaniel Flick
    Immediate action - Andy McNab
    Barefoot soldier - Johnson Beharry
    Heroes of Jadotville - Rose Doyle

Comedy
    The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy - Douglas Adams
    The gun seller - Hugh Laurie

Fiction/fantasy
    Song of fire and ice series - GRR Martin
    Dracula - Bram Stoker

Biography
    Mud sweat and tears - Bear Grylls
    Blood sweat and tea - Tom Reynolds
    Stephen Fry's autobiographies were brilliant
    On the edge - Richard Hammond

There are many many more that I can't think of right now, but I whole heartedly recommend every book above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

3 recent good reads:

Currently reading 'Open', an autobiography by Andre Agassi.

I haven't read many autobiographies, I'm not a big tennis fan but I'm finding this a great read.

Another one that I really enjoyed, and I'm sure lots of people have read is 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts.

A fraction of the whole by Steve Toltz is hilarious. I'll definitely be reading this one again. There are some great characters in it.

Advertisement