Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Stephens Day sales; can you be arsed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Thomas D wrote: »
    They have the same choices as all of us. They can ask for the day off or they can look for work in a different sector.

You clearly don't work in retail then! It's not so simple to "ask for the day off" - if the shop is opening, a certain amount of the staff have to be there. I bet if you'd asked people working in shops from 5am today if they'd like the day off, the vast majority would have said yes. But if the shop's open, someone has to be there, they can't all ask for it off. And the way things are at the moment, you could lose your job if you didn't work today.

As for "looking for a job in different sector", have you any idea what the job market's like these days?! You hardly think people unhappy in retail just haven't bothered looking elsewhere?

(* used to work in shops that opened Stephen's Day. Happily, my current job does not involve working today!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Ended up not going to the local watering hole today due to the relatives feeling lazy and enjoying their new bathrobes. I went down to the Pavillions to get out of the house for a bit and see if they reduced the price of Karl Pilkington's Moaning of Life DVD.
    Result! It was €14 a week ago, reduced to €9 in the sales! :D
    Only one problem:
    My geriatric bargain basement DVD player just died on me. :(
    As Karl would say: BULLSH*IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I can understand if money is tight and you specifically need something at a reduced price because money is tight, otherwise I don't understand how anyone could be arsed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Well, we had a wander around Grafton st. Left home at 12 and traffic was non-existant. Me and the youngest went in and got his sim changed in meteor, she had a wander around Next and bought some shoes, then we looked in Brown Thomas for a giggle and went for a bite to eat. Great relaxing day out. Didn't feel even vaguely "sad" and the shops were buzzing.

Ah thats not really shopping though is it ?
    Having a browse around Grafton Street with the kids is totally different. Thats a nice thing to do. Anytime of year.

That just sounds like you went to town for a look to see how busy it was and what it was like.

And got a few bits and bobs done while you were there. Nothing sad about that, although I'd suggest the Leopardstown races next year for something to do and fun for all the family.

Whats sad is those who get up at stupid o'clock on Stephen's morning to queue up to go shopping. They're the reason the shops were buzzing today, and the reason the staff in those same shops were denied a Christmas at home with their families.

I challenge anyone to convince me why the main retail shops needed to be open today other than to satisfy the greed of those who can't wait 24 hours in their relentless lust for an alleged bargain.

Having a browse around Grafton Street with the kids is totally different. Thats a nice thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lapin wrote: »
    Having a browse around Grafton Street with the kids is totally different. Thats a nice thing to do. Anytime of year.

That just sounds like you went to town for a look to see how busy it was and what it was like.

And got a few bits and bobs done while you were there. Nothing sad about that, although I'd suggest the Leopardstown races next year for something to do and fun for all the family.

Whats sad is those who get up at stupid o'clock on Stephen's morning to queue up to go shopping. They're the reason the shops were buzzing today, and the reason the staff in those same shops were denied a Christmas at home with their families.

I challenge anyone to convince me why the main retail shops needed to be open today other than to satisfy the greed of those who can't wait 24 hours in their relentless lust for an alleged bargain.

Having a browse around Grafton Street with the kids is totally different. Thats a nice thing to do.

There's x amount of money going to be spent and each store wants a big a slice as possible.That's the reason they're open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Was thinking of heading in before work..but then told myself to get a grip :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Smileymt

Hey none of the employees are under any obligation to work, it's voluntary if they want to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Smileymt wrote: »
    Hey none of the employees are under any obligation to work, it's voluntary if they want to come in.

Those that have not already got the day off and refuse to go into work won't have a job the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

No, it isn't. Rosters are made out & certain numbers of staff have to work, no choice in the matter, unless they get someone to swap stephens day for new years eve or somesuch trade-off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Eutow wrote: »
    Those that have not already got the day off and refuse to go into work won't have a job the next day.

Exactly. They have the choice. Some of you want to ban people from making a few quid double time on Stephens day just to suit yourselves.

If you absolutely want a 9-5, weekends and public holidays free then don't work retail. Again, the freedom is there to chose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

That's not really going to happen in our gaf - we only woke up at half ten and there was the pressing matter of a fry-up to be dealt with. :D And I do always giggle a bit when people say how much they "saved" - if you buy some yoke, you've saved precisely fcuk all, you've spent the price of said yoke. The fact said yoke is usually dearer means nothing. You've spent, not saved. I hate queues anyway and would rather have needles driven into my shins than queue up for anything. I still reckon if people want to do it, fire ahead though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are plenty of people too who don't even observe christmas. Just another bank holiday.

P_1 wrote: »
    One of the downsides of capitalism IMO, the cash needs to keep flowing afterall :rolleyes:
    But only if it passes via a bank or other financial institution, otherwise it's " the black market" and is bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The majority of people will be lucky to get the end of January without running out of credit, let alone cash. I work in retail and my wages coem from consumer spending but I certainly can't be getting involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Exactly. They have the choice. Some of you want to ban people from making a few quid double time on Stephens day just to suit yourselves.

In the post you quoted from me, where did I say staff have a choice? I also never mentioned that I wanted to ban people from making double time on that day.

If staff want to work on that day, I have no problem with it. My post was in reply to somebody who stated that employees are under no obligation to work because it's voluntary if they wanted to come in.

The statement by that poster was ridiculous because people can't just choose not to come in, because if they do that, they won't have a job the next day. As already mentioned, shops need to have a certain number of staff to work in the store to deal with the crowds of people expected to shop there, so a certain number of staff will be forced to come in to work. They can't all ask for the day off. Some might want to work, most probably won't want to work that day. Also, in relation to a previous point you made, it is not easy to change sectors with the click of their fingers.

kneemos wrote: »
    There's x amount of money going to be spent and each store wants a big a slice as possible.That's the reason they're open.

If there is only an X amount of money to be spent, it won't go anywhere between today and tomorrow.

If anything the stores would save money by staying shut today.

Less overheads to cover when you don't have to pay staff for coming in, and the customers will still have their money to spend tomorrow.

Yeah, volunteer to keep your job or get fired.

Welcome back to boards. How many first posts is that now ?

If there is only an X amount of money to be spent, it won't go anywhere between today and tomorrow.

If anything the stores would save money by staying shut today.

Less overheads to cover when you don't have to pay staff for coming in, and the customers will still have their money to spend tomorrow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium

No shops used to open on Sunday. Now they nearly all do and this explains why.

GTFO with the Economics lectures today of all days. :(

GTFO with the Economics lectures today of all days. :(

I'm anti-idiocy 24/7/365.25

• Advertisement

Separation of church & state would be the major contributing factor here in Ireland

Separation of church & state business interests would be the major contributing factor here in Ireland
    fyp ;)

Business leaders in the retail sector have more power now than the church these days!
    Glad to see the church lose power. but sad to see the business leaders gain so much!
    Consumerism the new religion of the the great unwashed!

fyp ;)

Business leaders in the retail sector have more power now than the church these days!
    Glad to see the church lose power. but sad to see the business leaders gain so much!
    Consumerism the new religion of the the great unwashed!

I didn't want to gild the lilly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

I got a lot of stuff online, but I wanted to check out the shops as well. Left the house at 9, was back before 10. Still all day to laze around watching tv and eating junk. Don't know why people are complaining so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I heard its Black Friday tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Not anymore, plus the weather is shoite.

mikeym wrote: »
    I heard its Black Friday tomorrow :D
    Wet Friday more like it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Im fupping broke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

I usually don't judge anyone but on this occasion I will.

Anyone who who lies awake all night and rushes out the door in a cold sweat to save a fiver on a 'couple of tops' on the only two mornings of the year universally acknowledged and given over as days to relax is a sad sad sad fucker person.

SAD.

Imagine - A couple of fucking tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭careful_now

Ain't got no time for that!

Advertisement