Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you regularly carry a multi-tool what part do you use most?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

I'm surprised how many people use the pliers a lot. I use the little ones on the SAK Cyber Tool for small jobs and just can't imagine needing larger pliers? If I want something to grip with and don't have a specific tool that fits like the right sized spanner I immediately reach for a pair of mole (vice) grips which are never far away.

I agree nothing will beat the right size spanner or socket but there are plenty of times when you might not have the toolbox beside you and a pair of small light pilers are enough to lift some thing too small for the finger and thumb, loosen a gate valve, cut a wire, lift a bit of metal that is still warm or a whole host of other little jobs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Leatherman wave here, I use the serrated blade the most these days on bbs because the main blade is blunt, pliers would be next, scissors occasionally, saw blade an odd time.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I carry a Swiss army handyman, I would use the scissors, knife, screwdriver, bottle opener, tweezers and the tooth (pick as a pokey) all fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

blue5000 wrote: »
    Leatherman wave here, I use the serrated blade the most these days on bbs because the main blade is blunt, pliers would be next, scissors occasionally, saw blade an odd time.

There will come a time when you need a blade, not a serrated blade, and you will rue the fact that you didn't spend five minutes sharpening your blade.

On a safety note you're less likely to hurt yourself with a sharp blade than a blunt one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

There will come a time when you need a blade, not a serrated blade, and you will rue the fact that you didn't spend five minutes sharpening your blade.

On a safety note you're less likely to hurt yourself with a sharp blade than a blunt one.

I look forward to the day when I can sharpen a blade in five minutes :) Once I get started I'm never satisfied and it always takes me much much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Handy tip for ya. Get a medium/fine sanding sponge, woodies and the like have them, a bit of wd40 and work your blade with it, bringing your blade to the sponge. Works a treat to get a razor sharp edge. Did my hultsfors with it two weeks ago as it's just a workshop knife and jasus, magic. So much so that I did my moras, both my opinels and 2 of my leathermans. Will do the rest of my knives when they either need it or when I get back to my shed

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

blue5000 wrote:
    I use the serrated blade the most these days on bbs because the main blade is blunt,

I can help with that if you would like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Handy tip for ya. Get a medium/fine sanding sponge, woodies and the like have them, a bit of wd40 and work your blade with it, bringing your blade to the sponge. Works a treat to get a razor sharp edge. Did my hultsfors with it two weeks ago as it's just a workshop knife and jasus, magic. So much so that I did my moras, both my opinels and 2 of my leathermans. Will do the rest of my knives when they either need it or when I get back to my shed

I'll stick with my arkansas stone and japanese water stone thanks although I have to admit the cheap diamond stone blocks (4 different grades) that Lidl and Aldi have sometimes are excellent if used with plenty of honing fluid. Currently I'm using BBQ lighting fluid as it was free from a house clearance and I've no other user for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I look forward to the day when I can sharpen a blade in five minutes :) Once I get started I'm never satisfied and it always takes me much much longer.

Five minutes was used as a figure of speech, rather than exactly how much time it would take to get it sharp.

Saying that once its properly sharpened, a few minutes honing the edge after use wouldn't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Had to be done, takes up quite a bit of pocket real estate but the holster (despite looking huge) holds it well and is fairly unobtrusive when on the belt.

20140309_140220_zps5475a1b6.jpg

20140309_140253_zps38644c02.jpg

20140309_140312_zps927f1a63.jpg

20140309_140237_zps40b8856b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Yesterday I cleared a blocked toilet on an aircraft with one blade and then changed a door lock at home with two others. Leatherman Core.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Leatherman wave, gets used often enough in Oz on sites.

Advertisement