Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you regularly carry a multi-tool what part do you use most?

Options
  • 24-12-2013 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Just interested in what people find the most useful tools on their multi-tools and knifes.

My EDC is a SAK Cyber tool and at this time of year its the bottle opener that gets the most use, but after that it has to be the screwdrivers, pliers then scissors, the actual knife blades rarely get used.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have the same tool as yourself. Scissors for me. No question. Mostly stuff to do with kids and what not. Next would be screwdriver alright. Knife occasionally (for cutting the "bogey" bits off apples for the kids and the like).

• Site Banned Posts: 53 ✭✭Cuddled

Just interested in what people find the most useful tools on their multi-tools and knifes.

My EDC is a SAK Cyber tool and at this time of year its the bottle opener that gets the most use, but after that it has to be the screwdrivers, pliers then scissors, the actual knife blades rarely get used.

Leatherman Skeletool all the way. Those Swiss army knifes are fiddley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Freestyle CX, I use the knife and pliers almost every day in work. Open boxes, strip cables, close crimps, retrieve dropped screw's.

Don't find the screwdriver great. Especially the Phillips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

mawk wrote: »
    Freestyle CX, I use the knife and pliers almost every day in work. Open boxes, strip cables, close crimps, retrieve dropped screw's.

Don't find the screwdriver great. Especially the Phillips

The screwdriver on the Cyber tool is first class and you can replace the bits. I wouldn't go out of my way to use it on really tough screws but the way you can half open the screwdriver tool (making an L shape) allows you to apply a good bit of pressure and leverage if necessary. I have broken a couple of bits but that was with extreme abuse and the main knife and bit holder were unaffected. The down side of the screwdriver on the Cyber tool is that its off center so not great if you need to use it for a long time, but that's when you stop using it and bother to go and find a proper screwdriver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Cliky

Getting a Skeletool CX from santy !

• Advertisement

Cliky wrote: »
    Getting a Skeletool CX from santy !

Then tell us what tool you use first on it on Christmas day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Cliky

Then tell us what tool you use first on it on Christmas day.

Guess it will be the bottle opener

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I change my tool depending on what im going to be doing or where im going generally its a SAK camper and the most used item is the small blade doesnt freak people out as much. Next would be the Scissors or screw drivers. If im carrying my leatherman or SOG multi tool Ill also carry the leatherman micra for the small blade and scissors. Love SAKs and will grab one of them quicker than a full multi tool

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Always carry a leather man, different type for different occasions but the pliers and the main blade get the most use. Screwdrivers get occasional use carry on Opinel no.8 a lot for cutting my tobacco, gets a lot of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

leatherman 4 me and most used is d blade

• Advertisement

leatherman 4 me and most used is d blade

Now this is my problem with the leatherman and thats that I think the blade is awkward to use so would seriously think about carrying a simple single bladed folding knife along along with a it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

can be a bit awkward it depends on what the situation is i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I'd use the Phillips screwdriver, either knife blade, the can opener for domestic stuff and work stuff, every day. I managed to break the tip off the small plain screwdriver blade so that's useless (same on all my Leathermans). Mine is a Core.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Skeletool CX, knife used mostly, followed by screwdriver, then pliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I got a Leatherman Surge for Christmas, the new one with the replaceable wire cutters. Last time I had something like this was a mini-leatherman about 15 years ago. Its quite heavy, but its a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

I carry the Gerber EVO in my EDC cheap cheerful and robust plus I love it ergonimically . I work with machines so I use the pliers mostly and the blades are grand for when I need them. Not mad about the other tools on it.

I got a Leatherman Surge for Christmas, the new one with the replaceable wire cutters. Last time I had something like this was a mini-leatherman about 15 years ago. Its quite heavy, but its a beast!

I was looking at them today and like the idea of the replaceable wire cutters, anyone got an idea how much the replacements are?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

I have a basic leatherman and Gerber model. I use the pilars mostly followed a good bit behind by screwdrivers.
    I find the blade too futtery to open so I normally also carry a small single blade folder also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I have a basic leatherman and Gerber model. I use the pilars mostly followed a good bit behind by screwdrivers.
    I find the blade too futtery to open so I normally also carry a small single blade folder also.

Welcome to Boards!

Does the basic Leatherman require you to open to access the blade? This Surge model has the scissors, saw, serrated blade and normal blade on the outside, so its as easy to open as a simple pocket knife.

I have been trying to find things to use it on. The satisfaction I had when I asked my OH to hold a bag of horse feed over the feed bin and then I slashed at the bottom of it to cut it wide open and watch the grains plummet down! Apparently I had the smuggest of looks on my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Leatherman Supertool
    Pliers are the most often used, followed by screwdrivers even though they are crap sizes and they bend if the screws are anyway tight.
    I used to use the straight blade a lot but the safety crowd at work are clamping down on "penknifes" so I've found that the tin opener makes a great box cutter :D.
    Never used the saw blade so that is being replaced with a couple of washers until I work out what I need in there, might even do the same with the straight and serated blades to keep the safety boys happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Welcome to Boards!

Does the basic Leatherman require you to open to access the blade? This Surge model has the scissors, saw, serrated blade and normal blade on the outside, so its as easy to open as a simple pocket knife.

I have been trying to find things to use it on. The satisfaction I had when I asked my OH to hold a bag of horse feed over the feed bin and then I slashed at the bottom of it to cut it wide open and watch the grains plummet down! Apparently I had the smuggest of looks on my face!

Thanks.
    Yea the basic leatherman has to be complety open to access the knife blade. The small folder I carry is one of the one hand open slanley blade folders (3euro in a bargain shop with 10 blades) and if anyone asks for a loan of a knife they get it so it kind of servs two purposes!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

Got one from Aldi I believe-Workx and the pliers followed by the knife and the screwdriver-the screwdriver is awkward to use but if none else available I give it a shot.The pliers are better than most regular ones though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Peterson's has a 20% off sale on all items (except tobacco), might be of use if anyone is after a new leatherman or SAK.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Leatherman tool and most often I use the pliers. Maybe because I usually have a swiss army knife with me, and prefer the scissors and bits on that, also not scary to anyone I've ever used it in front of.
    The little red penknife has a good image compared to the Terminator of a yoke the Ti Leatherman looks like!

Sometime this year I am getting the Leatherman Raptor! I use a Benchmade rescue hook now, but having a rescue hook, scissors and glass breaker to hand would be very useful.
    Cutting things with a large scissors is also much less intimidating than a similar sized knife.
    I'll have to trial it to see if the pocket clipped carry option takes up too much pocket space, or how close the sheath holds the scissors to my beltline. I carry cheapy scissors in my aid bags, but having one on my belt kit would be handy.

11132.jpg

I liked the look of the Leatherman Raptor then I saw the price :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

I bring my Helmsman everywhere with me...
    I do a lot of rope work with scouts and general outdoors work, and I have to say it is without doubt the best knife I have ever owned for this sorta work.

The blade is more than razor sharp and the serations make any size rope a doddle.

I'm currently waiting on my Christmas present to arrive... its a black Leatherman Surge, I'm really excited, the wife thinks I'm like a kid again haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

I've had a leatherman kick for about 5 years, and carry it almost everyday. It's everything I really need on it: Pliers, knife, flathead and phillips screwdriver. I use the pliers the most.

My Surge arrived there after new years anyway...
    Have had it on my belt ever since... nice weighty tool (dunno why some people reviewed it as being too heavy though!?), when on your belt though you dont even feel it and sits nice and tight on the belt so no movement.

Pliers is good and strong (as you would expect any decent pliers to be!) and the additional blades etc are great.
    I especially like the exchangable saw blade, can put Bosch bits in it and have 15 tools in 1! :)
    The file being removable is great also, as it means i can sharpen the blade on the leatherman with it's own file... whereas if the file was one of the fixed tools you would not be able to do this.

Very impressed with it so far and have used it multiple times a day :)

I'm surprised how many people use the pliers a lot. I use the little ones on the SAK Cyber Tool for small jobs and just can't imagine needing larger pliers? If I want something to grip with and don't have a specific tool that fits like the right sized spanner I immediately reach for a pair of mole (vice) grips which are never far away.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised how many people use the pliers a lot. I use the little ones on the SAK Cyber Tool for small jobs and just can't imagine needing larger pliers? If I want something to grip with and don't have a specific tool that fits like the right sized spanner I immediately reach for a pair of mole (vice) grips which are never far away.

So far I have used the pliers to tighten bolts on a shed out the back.
    To hold a nut while screwing mudflaps in place on the car.
    Bending the end of a few bits of pipe out the back running along the fence.
    Cutting wires and applying the crimpers to same wires for new sockets in the kitchen.

You'd be suprised how much you end up using a pliers until you have it readily at hand... before I used to use whatever was at hand to do those sorta jobs (a blade to snip and strip wires for example)

I do like vice-grips but I find them a pain when i have to constantly open and close them around something when there is limited space ... maybe it's just the odd jobs i do that i find the pliers a god-send for...

Advertisement