Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow on the lug?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,953 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I looked at the forecast this morning and there was about 12cm snow forecast for Lug from Sat PM till Sun AM, but this has now been reduced to no more than 5cm. Still tempted myself to go out on Saturday though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm going to be up at the Lead Mines below the Wicklow Gap acting as a "body" for search and rescue dog training all weekend ... I think I'm going to wear every item of clothing I own, and then some :)

Hey guys thanks for sharing my blog here, yeah Lug was in whiteout most the day last Sunday and I suspect it shall be for the vast majority (if not all) this weekend based on what yr.no are currently forecasting. Thanks for the compliment CardinalJ.
    Phil
    Ah, I didn't know you were on boards! I only stumbled across your blog as it had been linked to on East West Mapping's Facebook page and I saw the photos. Some great shots there!

P.S. I've sent you a PM, I think my wife and I, along with a few others appear on one of your photos entitled "Enter the void", so it'd be interesting to know exactly when it was taken so I can check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Thanks Alun. Great link as well.

I agree, cracking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 majestic0110

Thank you guys, for the kind words. I do a lot of photography/walking in Wicklow and I usually write a blog post once a week documenting a given walk. Feel free to take a look at some of the archives in the blog (I know I write about Lug a lot, I go to Lug a lot :-) ). Thanks again guys
    Phillip J Wells

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I'm going to be up at the Lead Mines below the Wicklow Gap acting as a "body" for search and rescue dog training all weekend ... I think I'm going to wear every item of clothing I own, and then some :)

Going to be COLD Alun :-)

unkel wrote: »
    I looked at the forecast this morning and there was about 12cm snow forecast for Lug from Sat PM till Sun AM, but this has now been reduced to no more than 5cm. Still tempted myself to go out on Saturday though :)

Whiteout possibility high I fear :-). The wind will be a great enemy also.

Going to be COLD Alun :-)
    I was up at the lead mines this afternoon actually, and it was about 3 deg C, but virtually no wind, so I was actually quite snug :)

Base layer, 2 fleeces, Paramo jacket, Buffalo 4 seasons Inner (http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/4s-inner/) and another waterproof bivvy bag on top of that!

Tomorrow could be interesting though.

I was up at the lead mines this afternoon actually, and it was about 3 deg C, but virtually no wind, so I was actually quite snug :)

Base layer, 2 fleeces, Paramo jacket, Buffalo 4 seasons Inner (http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/4s-inner/) and another waterproof bivvy bag on top of that!

Tomorrow could be interesting though.
    Most likely heading to Glendalough area tomorrow. I know a 'hard to get to' but stunning spot overlooking the twin buttress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I enjoy the hardship of winter way too much. Contemplating camping tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

See some of you on Lug then tomorrow :p

It was nice and fresh up there this morning :D

It was nice and fresh up there this morning :D
    It was even fresher in a bivvy bag for the best part of 4 hours up on the side of the Brockaghs :D The dogs enjoyed it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

It was even fresher in a bivvy bag for the best part of 4 hours up on the side of the Brockaghs :D The dogs enjoyed it though!
    I'll be photographing an imra race on top of brockagh tomorrow... should be interesting.

Anyone been up in last 2 days? I'd imagine Lug and surrounding mountains may have taken a bit of pasting.

I'll be up around that way tomorrow on a Maamturks training walk, so I'll let you know.

I can see plenty of white on the tops of the Dublin mountains from my home at the moment, so no doubt there is snow on Lug. Weather forecast for the weekend is excellent, so anyone up there, enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I can see plenty of white on the tops of the Dublin mountains from my home at the moment, so no doubt there is snow on Lug. Weather forecast for the weekend is excellent, so anyone up there, enjoy :)

It'll be all gone by Sat if the temps get up to what is expected.

Wasn't on Lug itself, but in the area, Cloghernagh and Corrigaslegaun and very little snow about really. A few places where it had drifted, on the side the wind was coming from when it snowed, that's all. It'll all be gone by Saturday I reckon.

I can still see quite a bit of snow / ice on the north slopes of Kippure and Seefinn. Even after all the glorious weather today - the solar tubes on my roof reached 121C!

• Advertisement

Was up Lug today ... a glorious day but virtually no snow. A bit at the top of the south prison and the odd small drift but not much else. Looking over to the back of Djouce and War Hill there seemed to be more there than where we were.

Was up Lug today ... a glorious day but virtually no snow. A bit at the top of the south prison and the odd small drift but not much else. Looking over to the back of Djouce and War Hill there seemed to be more there than where we were.

I camped at the top last night. Will put up a few photos later. Any snow there this AM was basically ice, looked nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

I camped at the top last night. Will put up a few photos later. Any snow there this AM was basically ice, looked nice though.

How'd you sleep. I'd say it's kind of eerie if you're not used to it.

mattser wrote: »
    How'd you sleep. I'd say it's kind of eerie if you're not used to it.

Ah sure at least you know there's no one around to cause trouble.

Was very clear on Friday night, you realise how many people live close to the area. 4G signal at the top, you're never really that isolated in Ireland!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Ah sure at least you know there's no one around to cause trouble.

Was very clear on Friday night, you realise how many people live close to the area. 4G signal at the top, you're never really that isolated in Ireland!:o

Fair play CJ. Sounds magical.

mattser wrote:
    Fair play CJ. Sounds magical.

I stuck a pic in the photos sticky.

This Sunday looking like all day snow.

First snow outing of the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This Sunday looking like all day snow.

First snow outing of the winter.

Wrap up warm. Looks like 20+cm of snow up there and a chill of -11. Which is actually warmer than it was 2 weeks ago when it was -13.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lugnaquilla/forecasts/925

Couldnt get over 'Shay Elliot' and had to turn around. Haha. Was really chucking down at around 8.30 when we were trying.

Did the Spinc in Glendalough instead. Snow drifting up on the top section and had no idea where the boardwalk really was, but there is a lot of snow up there if people are looking for it. Also the roads are fine, bar the Sallygap which I would say is totally impassable.

Edit - The roads around Glendalough.

• Advertisement

Also the roads are fine, bar the Sallygap which I would say is totally impassable.
    Wicklow CC and Glen of Imaal MRT both saying it's impassable along with the approach roads.

Advertisement