Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow on the lug?!

Options
  • 23-12-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have seen a few reports that the lug got some snow?
    Has anyone any first hand info of how much is still there and if there is ice etc?

Cheers,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Driving around Bray yesterday afternoon I could see small amounts of snow on some o the hills in the distance including Djouce and Kippure. No idea if it's still there. There were reports of snow in the area of Kilternan and Glencullen yesterday as well. Whether it will stay or not I don't know, but a bit too soon and not enough long term cold weather for any decent amounts of ice I'd imagine. One things for certain it'll be cold up there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Alun wrote: »
    Driving around Bray yesterday afternoon I could see small amounts of snow on some o the hills in the distance including Djouce and Kippure. No idea if it's still there. There were reports of snow in the area of Kilternan and Glencullen yesterday as well. Whether it will stay or not I don't know, but a bit too soon and not enough long term cold weather for any decent amounts of ice I'd imagine. One things for certain it'll be cold up there :)

Yeah it ain't really cold. The good snow we got last year was on the back of 2 very cold weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

On thursday gone there was a light dusting on top.

I'll be up there on Stephen's Day .. if there's any snow I'll take some photos with the new waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, crushproof camera Santy is (allegedly!) bringing me :D

No snow really, just a thick layer of hoar frost ...

ri90dw.jpg

2ry33br.jpg

2zzj2a8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

has anyone been up there since alun? i'm thinking of heading up on saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭blackvalley

No snow really, just a thick layer of hoar frost ...

ri90dw.jpg

2ry33br.jpg

2zzj2a8.jpg
    I take it the camera didnt arrive so :D

i couldn't even get near lug today. traffic came to a standstill before roundwood and didn't move for ages so i hit back to crone and climbed maulin and djouce instead, nice bit of snow on djouce so i assume lug is well covered, if you can get that far!

i met a lad on djouce who told me that his mate in mountain rescue struggled to make it near lug in his 4x4, that told me all i needed to know :cool:

I can only guess there had been an accident somewhere en-route. We also did a circuit of Maulin, Tonduffs, War Hill and Djouce from the car park on the old Long Hill at Djouce Woods, and the road was treacherous with black ice. I drove very gingerly as I knew it was a bit slippery, but then nearly fell on my arse when I got out of the car. Maybe we met en-route, we were a group of 12 :)

It was great up there, but there appeared to be some dodgy looking weather coming in from the west when we got to the top of Djouce just after 2pm.

We were up this weekend from Barravore to Arts cross.
    We could see lug had a good bit of snow.
    There was even snow across from Table to Art's Cross, which is a good bit lower than lug.

The roads up were fine, just a few small patches of ice.
    Sally Gap and Wicklow gap were bad, lots of ice etc, but that's hardly news to anyone now at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Douce had a nice cover of ice as did maulin. I did a loop of powerscourt by maulin from the middle car park on the old coach road and didn't get back til after dark took my time and was doing a spot of photography. The weather was windy all day but apart from that a great day to be out on the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Will Douce be white if I go up tomorrow? How about the Sugarloaf? Want to see some snow or ice before I go back to work...

hard to say without being down that way. there was snow on lug on saturday morning but it was freezing friday night and it snowed during the art o'neill. temperatures have risen a fair bit since so i wouldn't be surprised if a good bit of that had melted and both sugar loaf and djouce would be likely to be snow free unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Thargor wrote: »
    Will Douce be white if I go up tomorrow? How about the Sugarloaf? Want to see some snow or ice before I go back to work...

No, I was there today. None on SL and Djouce had some thin ice. I could see Lug in the distance but again it just looked like ice rather than snow.

hard to say without being down that way. there was snow on lug on saturday morning but it was freezing friday night and it snowed during the art o'neill. temperatures have risen a fair bit since so i wouldn't be surprised if a good bit of that had melted and both sugar loaf and djouce would be likely to be snow free unfortunately.
    Funny that you said there was still snow on Lug on Saturday. I was out on Tonelagee and the Brockaghs on Saturday and there was nothing anywhere up there or any of the neighbouring hills apart from a bit of hoar frost on the very summit of Tonelagee.

i wasn't on lug itself either so it may have been just frost, it did look like more than that though from where i was (coming down from art's cross to barravore).

i'd love to get up top of lug in decent snow, had to abandon an attempt last april because we weren't really that well prepared for the severity of the conditions.

so if anyone sees that it's looking like decent snow down that way then please do let us know here!

i'd love to get up top of lug in decent snow, had to abandon an attempt last april because we weren't really that well prepared for the severity of the conditions.

so if anyone sees that it's looking like decent snow down that way then please do let us know here!

This is a decent website for mountain weather:
    http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Lugnaquilla/forecasts/925

Its a decent bet is there is a chance of snow forecast for Lenister, there will be snow on the lug. I was there last weekend and the lug certainty looked like it was covered in snow, it was freakin white!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

From a distance sever frost on a mountain looks like a foot of snow. I hiked maulin nearly two weeks ago and from a fair way off it and djouce looked completely snow covered. In reality both were covered in frost. I don't believe any mention of snow covered hills unless I get an account from someone who has actually summited said hill. I can see the mountains from Kildare and I could rant on about snow topped mountains but I don't have a proper prespective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Thargor wrote: »

Have you not got a freezer or something?

• Advertisement

*Bump*
    Cold out there today. I'm planning a trip up lug tomorrow and just wondering if anyone has the latest conditions.

Snow?
    Is the ground hard underfoot?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amcguinn

I was on Lug summit on Thursday 11th from slievemaan side. Boggy area in saddle was frozen solid, and as we ascended ithere drifts about a foot deep, and we'll frozen surface. Complete freeze on top and zero visibility so extremely cold. Should be well frozen for Saturday at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JimSmash

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has been up to Lug recently? Was hoping to go up from Glenmalure side tomorrow morning but in two minds due to recent weather.

Thanks,

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Anyone up there over the last day or two? What are conditions like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Slieve Rua

Was up there on Saturday - when up from Fentons Pub - snow at the top, (only a couple of inches) but cloud cover was down

Anyone been up there this week? A good bit of snow forecast for Lug this weekend, is there a base for it to fall on?

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Anyone been up there this week? A good bit of snow forecast for Lug this weekend, is there a base for it to fall on?

Not my blog, but take a look here ...

https://phillipjwellsphotographyblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/a-white-lugnaquilla/

I was out the same day but only got as high as East Top (799m). It was quite a bit later than this guy was up on Lug and was just misty and drizzly. No snow either apart from the odd drift behind a peat hag.

Not my blog, but take a look here ...

https://phillipjwellsphotographyblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/a-white-lugnaquilla/

I was out the same day but only got as high as East Top (799m). It was quite a bit later than this guy was up on Lug and was just misty and drizzly. No snow either apart from the odd drift behind a peat hag.

Thanks Alun. Great link as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 majestic0110

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Thanks Alun. Great link as well.

Hey guys thanks for sharing my blog here, yeah Lug was in whiteout most the day last Sunday and I suspect it shall be for the vast majority (if not all) this weekend based on what yr.no are currently forecasting. Thanks for the compliment CardinalJ.
    Phil

Advertisement