Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Sheamus?

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Very true Ruu. When Sheamus hangs up his boots in WWE he will go down in history as a.

4 time World Champion

2 time United States Champion

2010 King of the Ring

2012 Royal Rumble Winner

2015 Money in the Bank Winner.

What a career in a relative short period of time. An obvious WWE Hall of Fame inductee in waiting.

Wow, that's such a burial of today's championships/accomplishments. How could so much mean so little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Wow, that's such a burial of today's championships/accomplishments. How could so much mean so little.

Part of it is probably due to him coming along at a time when there was two world titles and a floundering brand split - though him getting that fluke win over Cena for the main world title is still quite unique. Also, he had big muscles which is a thing Triple H (and Vince) likes and H was winding down - Sheamus seemed to benefit from H taking a shine to him.

(Jack Swagger was also world champ for a while in 2010 IIRC and Dolph Ziggler was too a few years later.)

The King moniker was a mid-card gimmick and the Rumble win meant shag all due to the squash match (which ignited Daniel Bryan's "Yes movement").

As the saying goes: THIS F**KING COMPANY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

He really seems to be lost in the shuffle again, no real direction for his character. He's gone from being world champ 6 months again to jobbing to Zack Ryder on television.

Now that he's pushing 40 I think he'd be better off further pursuing acting opportunities, I've heard his performance was very well received in the new Turtles movie. There could be a good career there for him in the superhero/action genre.

It was mostly just a voice role, character was CGI for 3/4 of the film. He came off like an 80's pro wrestling heel. Fine for what it was.

Hopefully he gets a couple more years out of it. There's nothing else he could do in life that would pay him the level of money he's earning, and the combination of his talent and opportunity after opportunity given to him has made the absolute maximum of his career.

At this stage of the game, it would be prudent for him to be given a modicum of protection in the booking so that he can mean something putting over young talent. They have so many guys currently more over than the level of their actual push(Cesaro, Ambrose, Zayn, Owens etc) that they need to put their resources behind them. Nothing against Sheamus but he's never gotten over to the level he's been promoted. Just could never really connect with the audience, heel or babyface.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I guess I'll drop this here?

Anyway, back when WWE visited England, you may remember that they showed James Corden's parents in the crowd. Guessed this at the time, but it was for a segment for Corden's US show where his parents "report" on a show or sporting event. Here's the video...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

To quote Stewart Lee on Corden:
    "Britain's loss is Americas loss also"

The male version of Melissa McCarthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

BMMachine wrote: »
    To quote Stewart Lee on Corden:
    "Britain's loss is Americas loss also"

The male version of Melissa McCarthy
    People hate on McCarthy too much. She was exceptionally funny in Spy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Sorry but I completely disagree on Corden. The Late Late Show might not be his best work - it's certainly his most mainstream - but he is definitely up there with my top comedians/TV personalities

Virtanen wrote: »
    Sorry but I completely disagree on Corden. The Late Late Show might not be his best work - it's certainly his most mainstream - but he is definitely up there with my top comedians/TV personalities

up your standards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mod Edit: Since there's chatter in a no-chat thread, I've moved this to the Sheamus megathread.
    BMMachine wrote: »
    up your standards.
    We watch pro-wrestling every week. No need to be condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Mod Edit: Since there's chatter in a no-chat thread, I've moved this to the Sheamus megathread.
    Well, if that's the case...can he keep out of my dreams? I seriously had one a few days ago where I witnessed him robbing some Nevada desert bar/motel.

• Advertisement

I think Seamus should start thinking about retirement plans now with an aim to getting into acting. He has a look that will get him far cos I dont think hes going to actually be good at it ya know :p But hes done as any form of power in WWE. He will be in the putting over new people spot the rest of his time there and his stock will just keep going down. Its unfortunate as we want him to do well but I think this is the beginning of the end.

There's no way he can make the money in acting that he's earning in WWE though. I'm sure his downside is a healthy number and he's comfortable clearing 500k now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

He's a solid workhorse. I think he's been highly regarded by the higher ups. Could well see him feud Finn Balor for The WWE UNIVERSAL title lol

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sheamus will = Kane, The Big Show and Mark Henry for years to come upper midcard and main event every now and again for the next 10 to 15 years.

I don't discount the possibility but I disagree because he drops so low down the cards. Putting over Ryder and Crews level guys was never something you saw Kane or Show doing a lot of, whereas Khali started doing jobs at that level and he was permanently de-emphasized.

I don't know what Gedo & Jado think of him, but I could picture him in a Giant Bernard type role in New Japan. His ring style is legitimate enough he would get over there. I've often felt he was better suited to that style. Remove the bad promos and some of the cheesier schtick from his act and he's a solid hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Sheamo in Japan would be fairly boss.

Definitely feels like he could be a fit. Book him to his strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

With his new tag team title, Sheamus just needs the Intercontinental Belt to get his name added to list of Grand Slam winners. At least according to their new format. I wonder if they will give him a run at it, at some stage?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(professional_wrestling)#Current_format

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Add the Royal Rumble, King of the Ring & a Money in the Bank match to the list as well he's done well for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

harney wrote: »
    With his new tag team title, Sheamus just needs the Intercontinental Belt to get his name added to list of Grand Slam winners. At least according to their new format. I wonder if they will give him a run at it, at some stage?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(professional_wrestling)#Current_format

He will be 39 years of age on the 28 Jan 2017 so if he stays healthy he has another 3/4 years at least and will definitely win the intercon title

Amazing to think how popular Irish wrestlers are ATM (when I was a kid watching the attitude era i used to dream of seeing one of our own In the wwe (wwf)) and today we're spoilt for choice with himself, Finn Balor and Becky top stars and hopefully more to follow

• Advertisement
Advertisement