Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time on Christmas Day do you start to drink?

• 21-12-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

alcohol, I have been speaking to people and some start as soon as the presents are being unwrapped, some at lunch time.
    for me it would be breakfast, instead of orange juice i have a bottle of bud :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I usually cook a fry then start sipping away at a beer afterwards, around about 9.30am.
    Will have to have a beer earlier this year as Its a wonderful life is on RTE1 at 07:45:eek:, has always been my tradition to watch this while have 2-3 beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Have never actually had a boozy drink on Christmas morning, but this year we're going to have a few glasses of champagne.

Picked up two bottles of Monsigny Brut Champagne from Aldi on Thursday after watching an interesting documentary where a champagne expert was blindfolded and tasted four different champers and had to rate them.
    Moet scored 4/5 and Aldi's scored 5/5...Had to buy some to see what all the fuss is about!

So, yeah, will have a glass or two, but that'll be it then til dinnertime when we'll open some wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Usually after coming home from mass around 12 boil the kettle and have a few hot whiskeys with the old man, have a bottle of jameson whiskey hiding away with the last 7 years that will do just nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Lunch time for me with food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I'll set the alarm on Christmas eve to go off every hour or so and have a quick pint and a chaser each time. Just so I don't wake up starting with a cold engine. 6am start the fry-up with loads of bread and drippin' and I'll have a couple Guinness to wash it down. Me and a few friends (giggsy, shearer, keano) have a tradition of getting together for a small kick-about at 9, nothing too serious. I've had a bit to drink now so I can probably only manage 3 or 4 goals now Im getting older.

After the game we'll have 5 or 6 pints and I'll give the lads a few tips on ball skills then we say goodbye. I turn up at midday to do a bit of help with the food but sneak a naggen while I'm at it. I usually grab a nap now as there might be some serious drinking later on! Bonno usually drops by after dinner and we jam for a few hours with 5 or 6 bottles of Domaine Leroy Latricieres-Chambertin Grand Cru. Then the party starts and out come de potín! ahahaha. If I don't get too drunk I'll call Vladamir and Barak and wish em a happy one later that night.

I find if I drink a pint of milk before bed I rarely get a hangover. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I don't drink on Christmas Day, for some reason I just hate drinking that day, same with Christmas Eve. I guess I just don't like being drunk/hungover on those special days.. and I'm a light weight so 1 or 2 is out of the question :pac: Always go out the 23rd and Stephens night which has become tradition for me in recent years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Don't bother at all. I'm not into drinking in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭cailinardthair

As soon as the pressie is opened we have bucks fizz....its our tradition....then it be lunch time onwards....but very much spaced out....don't want to be plastered christmas day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I never drink before 8 pm so that's the time I'll start.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Normally start supping a beer when I'm getting the dinner ready. That's around 12.30 ish. Once the kids are tucked up in bed, then I relax and fill my hollow legs!! Merry Christmas everyone!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Victoria Fortescue

I'll have some wine with dinner, but I prefer to have any visiting out of the way first, which is normally Christmas night watching the TV. Don't know how some of you manage it when you get up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

normally around tea time, not a big drinker on xmas day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Lunchtime usually. Won't be this year though, I'm working. :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Ugh, I'm the families designated driver, so nothing until well after sunset :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have young kids so I might have one when they are gone to bed but that would be it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I have to go to the Mother in laws for dinner so I start drinking at 7am!!
    One has to be very drunk to be able eat her sorry excuse for a Christmas dinner :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

In recent years, I collect my parents to bring them to our house and drop them home after dinner so can't drink much until the evening.

Back in the day, it would have been from about 11am onwards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Possibly 1 glass/bottle of Prosecco or well Schloer for me this year and last year due to being pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bucks Fizz when opening the presents around 11 and then not really again til dinner which is 5ish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The way to do it is to start on St Stephen's day and drink through to Christmas day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Possibly 1 glass/bottle of Prosecco or well Schloer for me this year and last year due to being pregnant.

Many congratulations by the way. The bestest time of the year when you have kids of your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I've started today, just to warm up properly:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Usually around lunchtime but I'd only have a couple during the day before really starting in the evening.

It'll be none o'clock this year though as I'm working nights :(

Damn this cushy, underworked and overpaid Civil Service job !! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Don't bother with it myself. can't be arsed getting boozed up on Christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Whiskey in the porridge with a bit of cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Few shots of Brandy after returning from mass is pretty much par for the course in this house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

0.00 to 02.00 and 1600 onward

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭jersman

Bucks Fizz with breakfast. Shot of Hennessey XO before dinner. Wine with dinner then mulled wine, gin & tonic and more brandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

jersman wrote: »
    Bucks Fizz with breakfast. Shot of Hennessey XO before dinner. Wine with dinner then mulled wine, gin & tonic and more brandy

I feel quite ill reading that. Oh, and a merry Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭jersman

That's what it's all about!! Merry Christmas
    Kettleson wrote: »
    I feel quite ill reading that. Oh, and a merry Christmas!

Advertisement