Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advantages to renew lease or let tenant run over existing.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Iggy154 wrote: »
    I never said he couldn't sell but if he was intending to do that he wouldn't sign a lease himself. It is easier to sell with vacant possession.

How do you know he was going to sell if you didn't sign a lease? Because he said he would?
    Thats the reason why id have called his bluff. Mainly because I believe he was bluffing.

Anyway Id have done differently to you, which you wouldn't have been happy to do....this argument is going to keep going around in circles anyway, as I'll say he would have sold anyway and you'll say he wouldn't.

Depending where you're renting and what you're renting, selling with a tenant in place may make it easier. I know Id rather buy a flat in bundoran with a good tenant than with no tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Intending to sell is a valid reason. I would take no pleasure in flat hunting to find out!

The house must be in the process of being sold (ie a buyer has been found) and there is a time limit on it. I'm on my phone at the moment so can't find a link, but I've read it before; you can't just put a house up for sale and then use it as a reason to terminate a lease. Hence why I would call his bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Iggy154

djimi wrote: »
    The house must be in the process of being sold (ie a buyer has been found) and there is a time limit on it. I'm on my phone at the moment so can't find a link, but I've read it before; you can't just put a house up for sale and then use it as a reason to terminate a lease. Hence why I would call his bluff.

Look at the legislation. It would be better if you did this than pretending to know something.
    RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 2004
    3. The landlord intends, within 3 months after the termination of the tenancy under this section, to enter into an enforceable agreement for the transfer to another, for full consideration, of the whole of his or her interest in the dwelling or the property containing the dwelling.

I believe that I have read that there must be some evidence that a sale is imminent, rather than just that a sign has gone up in the garden, but to be honest Im not bothered going looking for anything at this hour of the morning so if thats what the act says then so be it!

I still dont believe that a landlord is going to give up several months of rent and possibly go through with selling a property just to spite a tenant that is unwilling to sign a lease; it would take one seriously stubborn genius to carry out such a threat rather than just continue collecting rent from you on a part 4 tenancy. Id be calling their bluff (I wouldnt let myself be bullied into signing something that I didnt want to sign) and if they end up selling then so be it, but each to their own.

I believe that I have read that there must be some evidence that a sale is imminent, rather than just that a sign has gone up in the garden, but to be honest Im not bothered going looking for anything at this hour of the morning so if thats what the act says then so be it!

Either put up your evidence or stop talking nonsense. You have never met my landlord and are trying to psyche him out. You seem to like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Advertisement

Im not cutting my nose off to spite anything! Its your choice at the end of the day how to act; Im simply saying that if it were me I wouldnt allow myself to be forced into signing a lease that I didnt want to sign, and would be inclined to see if the landlord is willing to follow through on their threats. If you want to sign a lease then more power to you, but do it on your terms, not because someone else forced you into it.

As for the clause in the Part 4 tenancy, I cant find what I have read about it and am not prepared to go trawling through the internet looking for it, so Ill concede that what is written is gospel.

Im not cutting my nose off to spite anything! Its your choice at the end of the day how to act; Im simply saying that if it were me I wouldnt allow myself to be forced into signing a lease that I didnt want to sign, and would be inclined to see if the landlord is willing to follow through on their threats. If you want to sign a lease then more power to you, but do it on your terms, not because someone else forced you into it.
    The choice is sign one lease or another. Tenants don't dictate terms.
    As for the clause in the Part 4 tenancy, I cant find what I have read about it and am not prepared to go trawling through the internet looking for it, so Ill concede that what is written is gospel.

You won't find it no matter how much trawling you do. There is legislation governing the matter which is readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Either put up your evidence or stop talking nonsense. You have never met my landlord and are trying to psyche him out. You seem to like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It appears the only pysching out here was you being bullied by your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

In your case because you had no flexibility in finding new accommodation.

"The tenant don't dictate terms" seems an odd wording.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

You have never met my landlord and are trying to psyche him out. You seem to like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

He's not doing anything of the sort - he's just pointing out that what your landlord threatened to do is irrational and probably unlikely to happen. He said he'd roll the dice and see what happens. It's an opinion, nothing more or less.

I don't see why you're getting upset that someone says they'd handle a situation differently to you. If you want everyone to agree with you, maybe a discussion forum isn't the best place for you?

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    In your case because you had no flexibility in finding new accommodation.

"The tenant don't dictate terms" seems an odd wording.

Who said "The tenant don't dictate terms"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Who said "The tenant don't dictate terms"?

You?

markpb wrote: »
    He's not doing anything of the sort - he's just pointing out that what your landlord threatened to do is irrational and probably unlikely to happen. He said he'd roll the dice and see what happens. It's an opinion, nothing more or less.
    To know if it is irrational a person would have to know all of the circumstances. He doesn't. What he would do is irrelevant since he wasn't in the situation. Even calling the landlords bluff and succeeding will leave a sour taste in his mouth. He is not above having the water turned off on a Friday and switching his mobile phone off. He is away for the weekend "Playing golf" and sorry about the plumber forgetting to turn the water back on after doing a repair to the boiler.
    markpb wrote: »
    I don't see why you're getting upset that someone says they'd handle a situation differently to you. If you want everyone to agree with you, maybe a discussion forum isn't the best place for you?

I am not uoset, merely challenging the know-alls on this forum who seem to think they know everything about residential tenancy law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

To know if it is irrational a person would have to know all of the circumstances. He doesn't. What he would do is irrelevant since he wasn't in the situation. Even calling the landlords bluff and succeeding will leave a sour taste in his mouth. He is not above having the water turned off on a Friday and switching his mobile phone off. He is away for the weekend "Playing golf" and sorry about the plumber forgetting to turn the water back on after doing a repair to the boiler.
    Yet you signed a new lease, good grief.

drumswan wrote: »
    Yet you signed a new lease, good grief.

Stockholm syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Even calling the landlords bluff and succeeding will leave a sour taste in his mouth. He is not above having the water turned off on a Friday and switching his mobile phone off. He is away for the weekend "Playing golf" and sorry about the plumber forgetting to turn the water back on after doing a repair to the boiler.

Well done on signing a new lease. You have a great landlord there.

Well done on signing a new lease. You have a great landlord there.

He is a good landlord if you pay your rent on time, keep the place clean and don't mess around or bother him about fiddly repairs.He is good about giving back deposits provided you haven't annoyed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

He is a good landlord if you pay your rent on time, keep the place clean and don't mess around or bother him about fiddly repairs.He is good about giving back deposits provided you haven't annoyed him.

I get why you signed the lease. Sometimes its easier to go along with things even when you know the other person is in the wrong then put up a fight and create and bad atmosphere, especially when the person who it affects the most is yourself. Pick your battles as they say.

A bit worried about your deposit though. Deposits are to cover the repair of any damage you have done to the property above normal wear and tear and to pay any unpaid bills you have left. They do not belong to the landlord and a landlord should not use the threat of keeping your deposit to stop you contacting him if necessary. Repairs, fiddly or otherwise are the landlords responsibility

Daith wrote: »
    You?

No I didn't. You should read what I typed.

A bit worried about your deposit though. Deposits are to cover the repair of any damage you have done to the property above normal wear and tear and to pay any unpaid bills you have left. They do not belong to the landlord and a landlord should not use the threat of keeping your deposit to stop you contacting him if necessary. Repairs, fiddly or otherwise are the landlords responsibility

He does do repairs. He just likes to be told about them when he comes for the rent. He doesn't like getting phone calls about loose door handles or sparks from sockets or a mouse running around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

He comes for the rent? (in cash I'm guessing) Did you receive your letter saying you are PRTB registered?

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    He comes for the rent? (in cash I'm guessing) Did you receive your letter saying you are PRTB registered?

He takes cheques. He doesn't go in for the PRTB stuff.

Sounds like he's a good landlord provided you don't annoy him with little things like a tenants legal rights or revenues right to collect taxes. What a champ!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Do you at least have a rent book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Yeah all those legal obligations to declare rental income...I totally dont go in for that stuff either :P

Advertisement