Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Selection on Netflix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Super hoop wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Just wondering if there is any way to view netflix on more then 2 devices at any given time, without taking out a second subscription?

you can already do this - I have it on about 8 devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Super hoop wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Just wondering if there is any way to view netflix on more then 2 devices at any given time, without taking out a second subscription?

You can upgrade your plan to let you view using up to 4 devices at the same time. It is about 50% more than the 2 device subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

loyatemu wrote: »
    you can already do this - I have it on about 8 devices.

I think he means viewing it on more than 2 devices at the same time.

psinno wrote: »

is this restricted? I know on Spotify if you're listening and someone starts using it on another device, your stream pauses. Haven't noticed it in Netflix though.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

psinno wrote: »

Sorry, yeah I ment viewing on more than 2 devices at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

loyatemu wrote: »
    is this restricted? I know on Spotify if you're listening and someone starts using it on another device, your stream pauses. Haven't noticed it in Netflix though.
    Yep a message pops up if you try watch on more than 2 devices at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭cena

They have taken some kids stuff off like barney and little bear. Kids liked them in this house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm genuinely stumped as to how anyone can regard Netflix as poor value. I pay about 30 quid a month for UPC, which I watch a couple of hours a month, another thirty for Sky Sports, which gets used every couple of months for hours on end (Heineken Cup weekends are heaven) and seven quid a month on Netflix, which I've used to watch Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec, House Of Cards, Arrested Development a fistful of films and God knows what else. On the list for the future is Doctor Who, Orange Is The New Black and the second season of House Of Cards. That's not including the two months my fiancee spent with a broken metatarsal, during which she hoovered up about ten different period dramas. Netflix isn't a replacement for Xtravision; it's a replacement for boxsets. Battlestar Galactica cost me sixty quid to buy and took about three months of leisurely watching to finish: sixty quid would have bought me nearly nine months on Netflix, to watch it and whatever else I wanted. It's ridiculously good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

DM addict wrote: »
    Having read this I am going to attempt to switch my Wii over to using US Netflix later, but I have one question - is there anything we get on Irish Netflix that you DON'T get on US Netflix? Or indeed is there any easy way for me to compare catalogues?
    Thanks

I don't know how to compare catalogues but I know I switched my PS3 back to the Irish IP at one stage, I think we had more recent seasons of Modern Family than were available in the US.

I left it on the Irish version for a long time as they had all the shows I was following at the time but have now switched back to the US and the movie selection is much wider and more recent in the US.

It's a pity there is no easy way to flick back and fourth on the PS3. The whole netflix experience on the PS3 is generally pretty poor compared to the Browser, very difficult to browse by genre and the genre lists they generate on the home screen only suggest about 8 titles per randomly selected genre-row.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Annoyingly I see South Park is off the Irish one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

It turns out it's very easy to change to the US catalogue on the Wii.

All you have to do is change the primary and secondary DNS in the internet connection settings.

It means that my profile has been reset, which is a shame as I've had Netflix for a while now, and so it had some decent info for recommendations. However the increased choice is excellent.

If anyone wants more details on how to do it, PM me.

DM addict wrote: »
    It turns out it's very easy to change to the US catalogue on the Wii.

All you have to do is change the primary and secondary DNS in the internet connection settings.

It means that my profile has been reset, which is a shame as I've had Netflix for a while now, and so it had some decent info for recommendations. However the increased choice is excellent.

If anyone wants more details on how to do it, PM me.

your profile will still be there when you switch back to the Irish version. The "My List" feature only works on your home Netflix though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Has anyone then found a decent way of changing it for Android tablets? I'm on Android 4.4 and it seems SetupDNS doesn't work on the latest OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ixoy wrote: »
    Has anyone then found a decent way of changing it for Android tablets? I'm on Android 4.4 and it seems SetupDNS doesn't work on the latest OS.

Hola Unblocker works for me. That's free. If you want to pay, TunnelBear is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

I just changed my netflix settings on my western digital play media player, to the US version and I'm not really sure what difference there is....

Can anyone enlighten me as to whats better about the US and Canada version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I just changed my netflix settings on my western digital play media player, to the US version and I'm not really sure what difference there is....

Different content on all the different countries version of Netflix. IF what you want to watch is on it, its better, if its not, its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Much bigger selection. Shows like the X Files, Walking Dead, Sherlock are all unavailable on the Irish Netflix. Lots more films and documentaries too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think you need to log out and log back in to see all the extra content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

You do understand that titles are removed and return regularly?

And whatever about the merits of the Irish selection I don't think less than 25c a day could ever be described as bad value.

25 cents a day? Well, well, aren't we quite the Rockerfeller.

It's worth no more than 7 cents a day and I refuse to go higher...

Canada seems to have the best conent imo.
    Watched Moneyball and The Descendants on there recently.

mickeyk wrote: »
    I think you need to log out and log back in to see all the extra content.
    yeah did that thanks... but as I am only new onto Netflix, i was unable to really tell the difference...

• Advertisement

We had the US Netflix set up through our PS3 until last night when it suddenly reverted to the Irish one (when we were 20 mins from the end of a film that's not on the Irish one)! Could anyone pm the DNS codes they're using as the ones we had don't work now :(

change DNS to 109.123.111.24

Just also thought that i would upload how to change the DNS Settings to watch the US Version on A WD Media Player for anyone else interested...

- got to setup
    - system >change timezone to eastern time (us & Canada)
    - network settings>network setup>change DNS to 109.123.111.24
    - turn off for 10 secs
    - turn back on and you should now be able to access the us Netflix

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭dodzy

IPAD:

Settings / select your connected wifi / change DNS data to:

109.123.111.24, 190.14.36.90

( TIP: before this change, just take a snapshot of the screen - HOME & SLEEP buttons simultaneously and this will save a reference setup snap in your pictures library )

Job done.

To confirm the American flix, just search for "Intouchables". If the film shows up, then you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The ratings system should tell you if you are on the American version.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

If you can watch the X-Files, it's the US version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

cena wrote: »
    They have taken some kids stuff off like barney and little bear. Kids liked them in this house

And Bob The Builder and Thomas And Friends. Which is what it was used for mainly in this house. Less sure if it's worth the money now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Netflix emailed me to say the price is going up by 1 euro but current customers won't see the increase for 2 years.
    I don't mind as long as they improve the irish content

• Registered Users Posts: 26,312 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dman001 wrote: »
    Anyone looking for more recent 'Blockbuster'-type films should join NowTV - All of Sky's content they've acquired through Sky Movies is on it. But be warned, you're paying more (£8.99 a month) for a more restricted service (limited number of devices you can add/watch on, HD only goes as far as 720p and is only available on some devices, £8.99 only includes films, etc). I've a subscription to both Netflix and NowTV, only because NowTV had an offer at the time. While I've started to use it quite a bit in the past while, I wouldn't pay £8.99 for it. It's still quite fiddley to use, and the catalogue just isn't as vast as Netflix. Also, many of the modern films coming out are pure tripe so I find myself only using it now and again when something good pops up.

I'm happy to pay for Netflix as there is always going to be a few gems worth watching, and their commitment to creating original content is refreshing. Their acquired content is improving also, with more recent flicks showing up. Taking on Sky's mega movie-monopoly isn't an easy task, but is slowly going somewhere (Exclusive Disney deal will kick in in 2015/2016, so all Disney/Pixar/Lucas/Marvel films will be exclusive to them, deal with MGM to get The Hobbit films, etc). While the Irish Netflix is somewhat lacking for films, their TV catalogue is excellent. There's some fantastic series available in there, which well justifies the monthly cost. Seeing as this is the Television forum, OP I suggest checking out:

Orange is the New Black
    Breaking Bad
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Top of the Lake
    Rectify
    House of lies
    Arrested Development
    The Fall
    Mad Men

To name but a few.

I'm signed to to Now TV for the free trial. The selection pales in comparison to Netflix (although there are some more recent movies there....no TV shows though as that is a seperate subscription!)

I won't be renweing after a month, the picture and audio quality also isn't anywhere near as good as netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

EyeSight wrote: »
    Netflix emailed me to say the price is going up by 1 euro but current customers won't see the increase for 2 years.
    I don't mind as long as they improve the irish content

Really enjoy Netfix but I'd be surprised if the content improved due to this price increase . Read up abit about in the states , looks like the CEO got a big fat pay increase . In 2 years time we might have Hulu here and some sort of competition to Netflix . Seems all these companies are increasing their prices , Sky is going up by a euro next month . UPC issued 2 price increases last summer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

And Bob The Builder and Thomas And Friends. Which is what it was used for mainly in this house. Less sure if it's worth the money now.

are you talking about the series' ? I was thinking that alright that over christmas it would only bring up the hour long features rather than the series. Sometimes though you just have to do a search for stuff rather than just relying on what's on the front screen. I loved the Thomas & Friends - mostly because it was only the first 4 series where they still used the actual model trains, and it didn't have the extremely irritating theme tune/song. (and Ringo Starr used to narrate :-) )

biggest upset in our house was Cars2 being taken off recently - it was played permanently for about 6 months! I nearly know it from start to finish :rolleyes:

I think the kids selection is great though - as soon as they started putting ads on Disney junior we switched off and its Netflix all the way now.

Advertisement