Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Selection on Netflix

Options
  • 21-12-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Having recently taken out a subscription (free for the first month) I find the selection on Netflix Ireland very poor. On a random search of films, actors, directors that I like (Woody Allen, John Huston, Kurosawa, Jack Nicholson, the Cohens, Anthony Mann) I find very few available eg Huston's Chinatown. And even modern greats, like LA Confidential, or just very good, like The Descendants, are missing. In many cases available films with actors like George Clooney, Pacino, Pitt, Streep are their second rate offerings. As for foreign language films forget it. My guess is that most of these are available in other locations like the US, but not here. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No, you're not missing anything. Apparently there are some legal / license issues that prevent them from providing the full catalogue over here unfortunately. Still, I find there's enough on it to justify the low subscription fee.

If you're watching it on the computer / laptop you can use a US proxy to access the full catalogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The American one doesn't have a whole lot more than the Irish one but it does give you a few more options. The Canadian one has more again. Getting onto those other country versions is quite easy with a simple browser addon. I won't go into detail about that because I don't think mods like it.

But generally I agree, When I first signed up for it I expected an archive of all the best tv/movies. In reality what you get is a fairly small number, everytime I browse it I come across the same 40-50 things over and over. It's a great service but they've a ways to go in terms of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

are you allowed to ask how to set up us netflix or is that a no no i was going to take out a subscription to the [local] netflix but was not impressed with the films on view

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Thanks for the comments and advice. Basically I took out the subscription to watch films on the larger screen TV and I'm disappointed at the range provided. Apart from the kind of gaps I mentioned in my original post I notice that even long standing Christmas classics are not there. It is useful though for catching up on early or missed shows from a limited number of TV series like Modern Family, or The Good Wife. But no Curb Your Enthusiasm, Frazier etc. However films were my main interest and on that score I will be cancelling my subscription before the free month runs out.

Thanks, Zascar. I went to the site you suggest (I'm using my iPad) but I was informed that "my operating system is not supported just yet". I guess it doesn't work with Apple mobile OS. But my main interest is films on TV rather than on my mobile devices or laptop. It's not obvious to me from the site how I should go about linking into Netflix US for my television.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I don't think there is anything you can do vis-à-vis TV (I've tried).

I agree with you though.

Irish Netflix is pretty poor.
    We dropped it after 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I find myself watching the TV Shows more than anything else on there.

For example, I watched the 'Netflix original' show Orange is the New Black yesterday and found it to be really good. Same with House of Cards. Am starting to watch Weeds now too. I am on a free subscription, don't know if I will keep it up (paying for it) , even with the US proxy version though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

For €7 a month it's a great service. I ain't going to try and convince you to keep it because you are expecting every film that was ever released to be on it. I'm sick of these *****y threads popping up all the time. There's plenty of great tv shows and documentaries that more than justify the price.

For €7 a month it's a great service. I ain't going to try and convince you to keep it because you are expecting every film that was ever released to be on it. I'm sick of these *****y threads popping up all the time. There's plenty of great tv shows and documentaries that more than justify the price.

Not asking for every film ever made (please point out where that was asked)

Just parity with other markets is not too much to ask for I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I got a 1 year subscription of Netflix in April for my Birthday and I haven't used it at all really, I find the selection really poor, I have SkyGo so that generally has me grand in terms of content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Does anyone know do any of the proxy services work with chromecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Not asking for every film ever made (please point out where that was asked)

Just parity with other markets is not too much to ask for I think.

Big problem they have here is Sky own the on demand rights for lots of movies.

Phoebas wrote: »

I tried using a vpn app on my phone connected to the US.

I can see their content on the Netflix ap, however when selected it won't cast to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I dont know what people expect for 7 quid a month in fairness. Its a pretty damn good service, I think. Reliable, and at least you know some of the money is going back to the production companies. If everyone was pirating TV, there'd be no shows being made at all because they wouldnt be able to afford to make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I can see their content on the Netflix ap, however when selected it won't cast to the TV.

Yeah, similar experience here. Shame that.

anyone who cant find something good go watch on the Irish netflix is either a liar or just someone who likes to complain. I regularly switch between the various stores and can always find something to watch. The selection may appear small but there's thousands of films on the Irish store and I'm assuming that all those calling it a rip off realise that there's more there then what just pops up. Calling a service that offers unlimited films and TV for under €2 a week a rip off is spouting utter nonsense. I bet that the same people would complain if the service cost €20 euro a month but had every film ever made.

anyone who cant find something good go watch on the Irish netflix is either a liar or just someone who likes to complain. I regularly switch between the various stores and can always find something to watch. The selection may appear small but there's thousands of films on the Irish store and I'm assuming that all those calling it a rip off realise that there's more there then what just pops up. Calling a service that offers unlimited films and TV for under €2 a week a rip off is spouting utter nonsense. I bet that the same people would complain if the service cost €20 euro a month but had every film ever made.

Who called it a rip-off?

Honestly.... Please quote that post.

We can all agree, Netflix is good.
    Whether we retain it or chose to unsubscribe.

But us paddies get the short end of the stick compared to other markets.

Please don't put words in peoples mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Who called it a rip-off?

Because Sky have the rights to show them here, not the fault of Netflix

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not just us - the UK selection is exactly the same. Same reason: Sky buying all the rights.
    Even so, there's more than enough there to keep me entertained. The fact they're producing their own shows, which are of a high quality (House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Arrested Development) is great. They also focus a little on smaller films (obviously cheaper ones) which suits me because I've often seen the bigger releases anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Yes it's true, Sky do own most on the rights which is one of the reasons the Horizon app is so restrictive I think too.
    I use SkyGo and that has a bunch of programmes I want and I use the individual TV3/RTÉ apps if I want to watch Irish content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I installed Hola on Nexus tablet.
    I can watch Netflix America, Canada and other countries. My Chromecast will NOT cast USA Netflix, but I can watch it on the tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yeah, similar experience here. Shame that.

I can cast US Netflix no problem? Using Tunnelbear as my VPN and it casts from phone, tablet and laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

garroff wrote: »
    I can watch Netflix America, Canada and other countries. My Chromecast will NOT cast USA Netflix, but I can watch it on the tablet.

Just installed that hola app . cheers! !

Who called it a rip-off?

Every time this comes up people call the service a rip off. Time after time we get the same tired complaints and whinging.

The Irish netflix is fantastic. Granted it may not have the latest blockbusters but there's a huge selection of films and Tv there and at less than €2 a week you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just as a FYI, you dont have to pay for a proxy/VPN service or anything to get access to the US netflix. You can just change your IP settings to use a DNS server which directs all netflix requests to the US site. Can do this on your TV/Wii or whatever device you are using. Just search for videos on youtube that will show you how.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Aeneas wrote: »
    Having recently taken out a subscription (free for the first month) I find the selection on Netflix Ireland very poor. On a random search of films, actors, directors that I like (Woody Allen, John Huston, Kurosawa, Jack Nicholson, the Cohens, Anthony Mann) I find very few available eg Huston's Chinatown. And even modern greats, like LA Confidential, or just very good, like The Descendants, are missing. In many cases available films with actors like George Clooney, Pacino, Pitt, Streep are their second rate offerings. As for foreign language films forget it. My guess is that most of these are available in other locations like the US, but not here. Am I missing something?

One of my favourite things about Netflix are the foreign films. Not sure if they are on the Irish version of it but there at least 5-10 brilliant South Korean films on it.

I thought the point about films on demand was that YOU got to choose what you wanted to see, not what someone else decided for you (TV does that well enough). This implies a wide range of choice, including an extensive back catalogue and the best films of recent years, none of which Netflix in Ireland provides. Pretty weak in fact for anyone interested in the cinema. I'm sure I could find something worth watching from its list but that's not why I would subscribe. I would be prepared to pay more for a really good film service, but this is not it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Aeneas wrote: »
    I would be prepared to pay more for a really good film service, but this is not it.
    How much more would you be willing to pay? Because that's the central nub. If Netflix doubled their price, allowing them to say double the size of their catalogue it might make a more attractive collection for you but put other people off. Hard to strike that balance unfortunately.

Advertisement