Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny..Ireland's greatest ever Taoiseach?? Discuss

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Markx wrote: »
    He was judged on one of his policies, the Seanad abolition. He messed that up spectacularly. What are Kenny's policies??? Are they the things he spoke about doing pre-election.....
    It's plain to see that Kenny had no interest in "winning" that referendum. Too many of his friends would have been out of jobs, the same for every other party leader. They promised a referendum on it in their pre-election manifesto because people wanted to hear it. They put it up to the people and were delighted when it was beaten. All people wanted to hear before the last election was how the government was going to cut costs and abolish waste, the Seanad seemed like an easy target to achieve that. If the referendum past and it was abolished, then Kenny gave the people their voice and they'd have taken the savings. If the referendum was defeated Kenny's mates are still happy and he's lived up to his pledge. Win-win for him and he played it well, he'll just never admit it.
    Markx wrote: »
    To attribute the economic upturn to anything he has specifically done doesn't add up for me. Ireland cannot unilaterally determine the performance of it's economy.
    What decisions has he made that were not imposed on him in that respect?
    I have no interest in discussing this because I'm not sure he can be judged on it yet. We're far from out of the woods so we'll wait and see. Also I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to national economics so I'll sit that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

denlaw wrote: »
    Austerity has only been inflicted on the poor in this country, no supertax has been imposed on the rich who have seen their wealth actually increase, in fact the last Irish budget increased taxes by 1.3% on those earning €20,000 — seven times more than the 0.2% tax increase on those with €100,000 a year while those on €200,000 paid a mere 0.1% more.
    Your obviously a paid up member of the irish tory party whose devotion to the elite is nauseating...if your going to come on here looking down your tory nose at the plebs at least have some facts and figures to back up your flawed argument...

I'm a mature college student struggling along actually.

Not exactly Sherlock Holmes are you.

"last Irish budget increased taxes by 1.3% on those earning €20,000"

You do realise that equates to a maximum €60 extra in tax a year, don't you? Or just over €1 a week. Since people on 20k pay virtually nothing in Income Tax anyway, considering the first 16.5k of a persons PAYE income will be covered by the basic tax credits.

Advertisement