Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny..Ireland's greatest ever Taoiseach?? Discuss

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Relatively so, it is. Standards of living in Ireland have never been higher than the past 15 years. I think a lot of people don't realise how **** things used to be.

+1 to that. Was watching Moone Boy last night (set in the 80s) and the boyfriend of the main character's sister pulls up in a Toyota Carina. I had immediately 2 thoughts: 1. His parents must be loaded (since there was no way some young fella would even have a CAR let alone a big one like a Carina and 2. What a sh1t car that was relatively FANCY back in the day !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Enda loves to turn up at any company who are announcing job creation, he turned up at my old company with bodyguards in tow and swanned about the place like he owned it all fake smiles and handshakes i felt like throwing a cup of coffee over him, funnily enough he never really comments on the amount of job losses, which unfortunately exceeds the amount of jobs being created.

Sad news for these people today just before xmas.

http://www.thejournal.ie/job-losses-lufthansa-technik-rathcoole-1233602-Dec2013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

The TROIKA is Ireland's greatest Taoiseach.

The only thing the government has done is to stop reform of the sheltered service industries that was recommended and sorely needed.

Now we're out of the bailout they are already talking about increasing public spending again - ending so called "Austerity".

Next time they won't bail out bondholders, they will just take people's savings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I actually despair for some people in this country, this country needs to be like Greece where the masses converged on the streets, people here love a good moan but nothing is ever actually done.

Because that's worked great for Greece hasn't it? Greece is in a far worse state than Ireland, their protesting makes absolutely no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lol the greatest ever? Don't make me laugh. Enda Kenny is useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

Definitely in the top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Enda loves to turn up at any company who are announcing job creation, he turned up at my old company with bodyguards in tow and swanned about the place like he owned it all fake smiles and handshakes i felt like throwing a cup of coffee over him, funnily enough he never really comments on the amount of job losses, which unfortunately exceeds the amount of jobs being created.

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think he and FG are doing a better job than any of the other parties would have. I think they could be far more effective without Labour hamstringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think he and FG are doing a better job than any of the other parties would have. I think they could be far more effective without Labour hamstringing them.

Very true. If things keep improving in the next few year reckon he'll be a two-termer. There's zero alternative out there.

Relatively so, it is. Standards of living in Ireland have never been higher than the past 15 years. I think a lot of people don't realise how **** things used to be.

So agree. Growing up in the 80s in Ireland, people literally had nothing. Even "well-off" people then, would be fairly modest nowadays.
    There is just no comparison, it's a different country now reccession or not.

Standard of living here is very high and a huge part of the reason why migrants flock here especially from eastern Europe; any I've ever spoken to have said wages here are several multiples of what they'd get back at home, and in many instances prices in/around the same. E.G. petrol can be more expensive in these countries than here. Imagine earning less than €100 a week and running a car as well. That's just one example. Despite its' problems, Ireland is a great country. Great people here, Irish people generally have a very easy-going attidude to moral/social issues especially too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

professore wrote: »
    +1 to that. Was watching Moone Boy last night (set in the 80s) and the boyfriend of the main character's sister pulls up in a Toyota Carina. I had immediately 2 thoughts: 1. His parents must be loaded (since there was no way some young fella would even have a CAR let alone a big one like a Carina and 2. What a sh1t car that was relatively FANCY back in the day !!!!
    Happened to see a picture today of a street in a Dublin suburb from 1991. Before I read the year, I assumed it was the first half of the 80s.

Happened to see a picture today of a street in a Dublin suburb from 1991. Before I read the year, I assumed it was the first half of the 80s.

Dublin was grim in the early 90s...those scenes from The Commitments were very realistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kenny found his level at teaching. He should've never been allowed go beyond that. He is a clueless buffoon who can only quote others and read scripts made by others. He is kept away from debated by his own party because they are afraid of what he might say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

TBF Labour might as well not be there for all the influence they have,im surprised they are still propping up enda...half his own party don't even like him....he was never not going to be elected at the last election

sure he have the IMF to make the desisons for him....he should be judged on his 2nd term....as soon as it starts to get unpopular his own will shaft him IMO

Quazzie wrote: »
    Kenny found his level at teaching. He should've never been allowed go beyond that. He is a clueless buffoon who can only quote others and read scripts made by others. He is kept away from debated by his own party because they are afraid of what he might say.

Love how people focus on debates as if they were the be all and end all and the mark of a good leader. They're not, a good leader makes sounds prudent decisions, the ones he/they were elected to do. If everything was debated and discussed before a media circus sweet fa would get done; bit like the shower that proceeded him.
    Have to say he makes a refreshing change from the real buffoon Bertie that went before him, who would turn up to the opening of a paper bag talking sh1te ad-nauseum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Thought the OP was on a wind up and then I read some of the posts following the OP. Depressing stuff the general IQ level of the Irish electorate.

road_high wrote: »
    Love how people focus on debates as if they were the be all and end all and the mark of a good leader. They're not, a good leader makes sounds prudent decisions, the ones he/they were elected to do. If everything was debated and discussed before a media circus sweet fa would get done; bit like the shower that proceeded him.
    Have to say he makes a refreshing change from the real buffoon Bertie that went before him, who would turn upo the opening of a paper bag talking sh1te ad-nauseum.

A monkey could do it sure he had the IMF holding his hand for him....ill hold judgement till his 2nd term (shoo-in imo:o) he deos seem a bitt dim thou

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

road_high wrote: »
    Have to say he makes a refreshing change from the real buffoon Bertie that went before him, who would turn up to the opening of a paper bag talking sh1te ad-nauseum.
    What has he done other than implement policies that was decided between FF and the IMF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Seán Lemass is hands down the greatest Taoiseach we've ever had, in my opinion. A level-headed, rational individual who countered the outdated, frugal, and ultimately damaging vision of Éamon de Valera, and set about expanding our economic prospects and bringing about social reform that would bring us up to date with the rest of the world. His time in office is the standard others should be striving to emulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

A monkey could do it sure he had the IMF holding his hand for him....ill hold judgement till his 2nd term (shoo-in imo:o) he deos seem a bitt dim thou

:o

• Advertisement

Haha good point :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I have said it previously on here - I think history will judge Kenny and this administration in a very very good light. IMO he will be the best regarded Taoiseach since Sean Lemass in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

with all the spin doctors and minders he has, nobody seems to be able to get through to him than it is rather bad manners to point ones finger at someone, but then a goverment which attempted to turn the dail into a a drunken lapdancing club, its leader has to be of no conquence as a human being.

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

flutered wrote: »
    with all the spin doctors and minders he has, nobody seems to be able to get through to him than it is rather bad manners to point ones finger at someone, but then a goverment which attempted to turn the dail into a a drunken lapdancing club, its leader has to be of no conquence as a human being.

Absolutely stunning political insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

irishfeen wrote: »
    I have said it previously on here - I think history will judge Kenny and this administration in a very very good light. IMO he will be the best regarded Taoiseach since Sean Lemass in years to come.

What has he, as an individual done that would be deserving of such an ardent place in history?

Him being 'better than the last fella' is hardly a ringing endorsement today, nevermind in terms of how history is made.

What has he, as an individual done that would be deserving of such an ardent place in history?

Him being 'better than the last fella' is hardly a ringing endorsement today, nevermind in terms of how history is made.
    From a previous thread -
    But how can you say that? ... unemployment is down, jobs are being created, we are ranked the best country to do business in the world, he officially apologized to the survivors of the Magdalene laundries, they pardoned the WW2 veterans, legislated for the X case, restored our international reputation, will take the country out of the bailout without the need for an overdraft ..... etc.

They have almost done more in their couple of years in power then FF did in 14, people are not stupid - it was never going to be all fun and games. Most people I do believe think the have done as well as they can. We were a complete basket case in the eyes of the world when they took power, now most are standing back applauding what has been achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

As a political neutral, when I read a thread like this I have to assume those strongly supporting Kenny are die-hard FG supporters. For the past few years Enda Kenny has been a leaf blowing in the autumn wind.

Markx wrote: »
    As a political neutral, when I read a thread like this I have to assume those strongly supporting Kenny are die-hard FG supporters. For the past few years Enda Kenny has been a leaf blowing in the autumn wind.
    I'm honestly not a member or have any association with Fine Gael - As I said before I come from a Fianna Fail family through and through... I say it the way I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In 50 years, no one will remember that Enda was a wooden, personality vacuum with the debating ability of a loaf of bread. But it won't matter then, he might be the Taoiseach that steered the nation out of the hurricane and into calm waters. It'll be bollox but then so much in politics is.

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    In 50 years, no one will remember that Enda was a wooden, personality vacuum with the debating ability of a loaf of bread. But it won't matter then, he might be the Taoiseach that steered the nation out of the hurricane and into calm waters. It'll be bollox but then so much in politics is.

And to me that is far far more important than his "personality" or debating ability. Couldn't give a damn personally that he's not whoring himself 24/7 on RTE Soccer shows or jumping out of cupboards for the Sunday World (?) in the name of having a "great personality" and being liked- all in the name of creating a fake "ordinary man" vaneer while you're corrupt as fcuk and let the country slide down the toilet.

Advertisement