Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny lays wreath at WW1 site

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

There isn't one. Nor should there be.

The idea that there is one right and one, or perhaps several, wrong way or ways of regarding the First World War is wrong headed on so many levels.

The original question was not a consensus on the the rights or wrongs of the Great War..... the question was ...... the consensus on Ireland as a nation finally acknowledging its sons who fell in that war...pure and simple.

While the discussion on the ins and outs of the causes or the legacy of the war is compelling reading, its a side issue to what I asked...... So, I'll be more specific....Opinions please on :

Should we as a nation have done this before now ?

Do people feel the time was not right before now in view of the troubles in N I perhaps ?

Should we have continued to ignore the participation of these men as its contrary to our Republican values as a nation?

Was this done now to help forge links with the Unionist population in NI or was there another thought process behind it?

Or other thoughts ......

Tks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

Link to names of the Irish fallen in WW1

: http://imr.inflandersfields.be/search.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maudi wrote: »
    When you visit france you will see rows and rows of neat white crosses in immaculate tidy cemeteries. .war graves..in fact they can be found all over europe..thousands and thousands of irish men among them all kept in this tidy condition by contributions from other european countries from all sides of the war....ireland however contributes NOTHING..towards the upkeep of these wargraves ..but we send pots and pots of money over to africa to equip despot warlords..so yeah I would have a problem him touching anything to do with my relatives resting place
    Just a thought, but since they didn't die in service of Ireland should Ireland have to pay for the upkeep of their graves? Should that not be the responsibility of the government they fought for? Since X was the one who sent them to their deaths in the name of X, should X not have to pay for their legacy?

Oh and Irish foreign aid is distributed through NGOs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

8742932185_99df9bd4ef_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Just a thought, but since they didn't die in service of Ireland should Ireland have to pay for the upkeep of their graves? Should that not be the responsibility of the government they fought for? Since X was the one who sent them to their deaths in the name of X, should X not have to pay for their legacy?

The real shame is the fact that the Irish govt do feck all to maintain the graves of those who fought for Irish freedom in 1916 (or the battlefield site around Moore Street) and the tan war

These are the real heroes not those who tragically died in some nonsense imperial war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

So by your own reasoning we shouldnt be sending another 25 million in AID to Africa again this year.?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maudi wrote: »
    So by your own reasoning we shouldnt be sending another 25 million in AID to Africa again this year.?

No my reasoning has a life first clause that applies to this case.

Why don't you tell me your thoughts on it?

Advertisement