Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to play in West Indies Domestic 50 over tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

that's O'Briens 3rd wicket

looks like could be chasing close to 290 gonna be a tough tough chase. Not covering ourselves and glory with the ball the last few overs by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

<snip>

only audio available for todays game

http://yourcss.ocmnet.net/CSS/Home.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deise300

Big last ten overs from Guyana. Finished on 301-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Poor at the death from us, hopefully can stick in and get respectable at least and then see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

We were doing a good job of keeping it tight until the wheels came off; last 10 overs went for 13 an over. Big task to chase down 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Tough total for us. Commentators all think it's over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

djimi wrote: »
    We were doing a good job of keeping it tight until the wheels came off; last 10 overs went for 13 an over. Big task to chase down 300.

Such a shame, but I think this tournament will do them good, to stay competitive through whole innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

The lack of a genuine strike bowler ruthlessly exposed!! I'd throw Young in for the rest of the games. Ireland desperately in need of a bowling spearhead. Surely there's some Aussie quicks with Irish Grannys!!!

• Advertisement

Niall O Brien gone first over :(

Not the start we wanted.

djimi wrote: »
    Not the start we wanted.

Grim

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I forgot this was on, probably would have been better if it had stayed that way..

27-4, oh dear.

Big Kev showing a bit of fight at least

KevIRL wrote: »
    Big Kev showing a bit of fight at least

Out for 39 sigh. Will do will to get half the Guyana score from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's only the first game, in alien conditions, playing every game away from home. I think they will only improve, and regardless of results, this is fantastic experience for them.

Mooney out, but gets away with it as it was a low ball. Make em pay now please

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

It's only the first game, in alien conditions, playing every game away from home. I think they will only improve, and regardless of results, this is fantastic experience for them.

I don't buy into this experience thing. Look at the team it's full of county pros and experienced international cricketers. We should have brought out a couple of younger players and given genuine experience!

I think if anything this tournament will show we're miles away from test status. I expect us to loss all three games. That's not criticism of the team I think they're fantastic. But you don't develop a test nation in 5-10 years. You need years of development. Bangladesh were rushed and look at them! They's struggle in this comp too!

• Advertisement

All out 187. Not even within a hundred of Guyana total. Very poor stuff from the top order especially

not a great day for us. Not to make excuses but the guys wont have played any meaningful cricket in the last 6 weeks and will have hardly practiced outdoors in that time either versus guys and very good cricketers at that who are used to the conditions who have been playing cricket recently.

We can only and will improve. Regarding experience weather your a county pro or not there was still valuable experience to be had. Playing cricket one English summer after another is poles apart from going to the Caribbean and playing on very different tracks and there will have been valuable experience gained as a result.

Mcbrine's bowling effort today probably the stand out, nice to see Poynter in the runs too and a decent (minus last 2 overs bowling) all round performance from big Kev.

I expect much better on Monday weather it will be a big enough improvement to win the game or not is the question would like to see young in the team on Monday.

Is it just me or has Murtagh been muck for us almost exclusively. He's not shown even a glimpse of his county form for the past few years for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I think if anything this tournament will show we're miles away from test status. I expect us to loss all three games. That's not criticism of the team I think they're fantastic. But you don't develop a test nation in 5-10 years. You need years of development. Bangladesh were rushed and look at them! They's struggle in this comp too!

Well, the highlights weren't too pretty, from a bowling point of view at least. But re the argument above, surely you can't be equating success in ODI cricket with the five day game? Are they not two different animals? I could see the point that Ireland would struggle in the test game at present, as the game is more geared towards limited overs here. So if anything we would struggle because of the influences of limited overs cricket.

We could do great at ODI cricket and still be a complete disaster in test cricket..

I dont think anything we do could prepare us for test cricket; not properly. Only way you get used to playing test cricket is to play test cricket; the jump up from even four day associate level is massive. ODI cricket is not a bridge to test cricket, and should never been seen as such; they are two completely different games.

One thing that would help would be to start getting the test nations to organize series of five day games between their A teams and associates. They wouldnt have to have first class test status, but even that step would be a huge help in bridging the gap between associate/occasional ODI and full test status. There is also no reason at all why Bangladesh and Zimbabwe cant be playing five day games against associates.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Less then 2 hours to go until the start of our second fixture Vs Jamaica. Really have to win this and Friday's game against Windward Islands to stay alive. I wonder if Sterling is back (think I saw them say it was a hamstring problem which I guess makes it doubtful) and if we will have access to a live video stream for this one?

Not looking like cricket ireland have this stream either? They have just added http://www.cricketireland.ie/news/article/ireland-v-jamaica-live but I guess that's just going to be text updates.

Need to win tonight to have any chance of qualifying from the group. Interesting to see the line up, Cusack at 3 was a bit of a surprise from last Friday. Pitches seem to suit slower bowlers so McBrine and Dockrell will be important (even though Dockrell only bowled 4 overs on Friday I think?) Anyway , looking forward to the game!

toss won were batting

one change to the Ireland team they didn't say who on the tv though.

Thompson in for mooney is the change. disappointed not to see Young tbh but makes sence given its a pitch for slower bowlers hopefully we can get a win anyway.

thompson in for mooney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Cricket Ireland have added links to a live audio stream.

Advertisement