Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Testing BMW's Incorrectly

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Xpro wrote: »
    Any petrol car will operate in closed loop mode at idle conditions, static revs and cruise, which is 1.0V or 14.7 Afr, or near enough. The BMW tech sheet does state that the cars operating voltage will be between 0.7 to 4Volts, but this is not equal to NCT requirements.

But the issue is BMW are quoting this as a lambda value rather than a reference voltage. In the VOSA document in the OP the lambda limits are shown as 0.7-4, and the NCT says that manufacturer limits trump the default 1 ± 0.03 limit. So BMW need to clarify that this is an impossible lambda range for a petrol engine, and find the actual acceptable limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Duke of Speed

DHFrame wrote: »
    Just want people to know to be careful with NCT test centers testing BMW emissions incorrectly.

I just had my 2008 BMW 118i tested in Naas and it failed on emissions.

It read.

High Idle (2,815rpm) Lambda: 0.96 (not between 0.97 and 1.03) fail
    CO 1.39 vol % (above 0.20%) fail

I did a bit of research. So for starters, it was tested at a too high rpm, should have been tested at 2500 - 2700rpm.

Limits set by the Emissions 17th edition paper (which the Irish government follow also) states my vehicle should have passed with flying colours - even at 2800rpm.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/194133/Emissions_17th_Edition.pdf

Paper says:

High Idle (2700rpm max) Lambda: 0.7 min to 4 max. PASS
    CO max 2.0 vol % PASS

I am going back in and I am going to ask for my Expenses to and from center and phone calls to BMW and loss of earnings returning back to show them a sheet of paper telling them how to do there fecking job.

Pull yer ****ing finger out lads.

what the nct are stating is that his co% is 1.39 which is a fail over 0.3%co, bmw say it should be 0.2%.
    lambda is 0.96 which is around 14.1afr too rich. all cars on vosa are reading tolerances of lambda 1 as some other posters said 1.09 lambda which is 16.1afr lean burn engine anything over 1.2 lambda will burn up an engine some desk boy copied the .7 to 4 from bmw spec sheet which obviously quotes ecu monitoring range of 5v lsu 4.9 lambda which is a bosch motorsport wide band lambda used universally by all engine tuners as i previously said so mistake is made by vosa bmw spec makes sense when applying to anything but lambda value if the op had under 0.3 co% then this thread would not exist. its all maths

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Bottom line - OP needs to get their car fixed and retested. :D

kenny that is the smartest and most realistic post on this thread fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Bottom line - OP needs to get their car fixed and retested. :D

Don't forget the expenses and loss of earnings :pac:

• Advertisement

Don't forget the expenses and loss of earnings :pac:

what about the angry little men lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chappo63

I realise I'm 9 yrs late to the party,but came across this issue last Fri,my 2009 1 series with a 2.0 petrol N43B20A engine failed on the lambda reading only,when I checked the fail sheet I saw the parameters were 0.97-1.03,so I questioned the fail,I explained it was a N43 leanburn and allowed a much higher/lower lambda reading eventually they agreed to a retest at my expense,they then called me in and asked for the engine code,it was then they admitted they'd imput the wrong data,when the correct data was put in,it flew through the lambda reading for this engine is 0.6-4,gonna try and add the fail & pass sheet..

Advertisement