Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Made Donal Skehan's minestrone soup. Lovely and hearty on a miserable aul day. I made the full recipe and that yielded about 6/7 decent sized portions which will do nicely over the rest of the week. Any idea if chunky soup freezes well?

Looks fab!! Any chance of the recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Made Donal Skehan's minestrone soup. Lovely and hearty on a miserable aul day. I made the full recipe and that yielded about 6/7 decent sized portions which will do nicely over the rest of the week. Any idea if chunky soup freezes well?

I've frozen lasagne soup before and it was really nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

kylith wrote: »
    I've frozen lasagne soup before and it was really nice.

Lasagne soup??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Queens, garden peas from my back door, carrots, sweetcorn, Salmon from Aldi on super 6, lovely salmon, 2 smallish pieces for €3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Looks fab!! Any chance of the recipe?

http://www.donalskehan.com/2009/10/hearty-minestrone-soup/

I doubled the onion and courgette for some more bulk but could happily have gone without in hindsight :)

Lasagne soup.. That's a new for me! Have you a recipe? I'll freeze a small amount tomorrow and see how it turns out! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Continuing into my beginning of cooking I made my first dinner without a recepie today. 😱😱😱

Following an absolute wash out of a day in tayto park my family got home soaked to the bones and starving so I decided on a whim to make dinner for the 5 of us.

It's a sloppy crappy phone photo because I served up quickly and managed to spill some but I fed everyone.:p

It was pasta with a coconut milk and pesto sauce with broccoli and chicken even though it looks a dogs dinner!

Could have done with more sauce and I made too little pasta but as it was my first time going by instinct I was just happy that it was edible!

katydid wrote: »
    Lasagne soup??

Make a lasagne and put in too much water, and substitute the sheets of pasta for farfalle. Below is the recipe I use, personally I think they go a bit overboard on the cheeses but it's well tasty.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/12/lasagna-soup/

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I bought a green rock over a week ago and forgot about it. Last night i found a perfectly ripe avocado in my veg basket. Only one thing for it!

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I roasted up some vegetables with a seasoning, and stir fried some egg noodles, and it turned out lovely. Definitely a fan of roast veg vs fried. I was very content with myself, until I read the pack of the seasoning - shocking amount of sugar and salt. Thought maybe I could try make up my own.

It had garlic basil and something else in it. Anyone have any good tasty seasoning recipes for me to try?

I love roasting vegetables - I started doing it after my husband needed a healthier diet after a stint in hospital and I was looking at ways to reduce the amount of fats and oils in our food.

My favourite way is to roast them with 2 or 3 sprigs or rosemary and about 5 or 6 cloves of garlic. Just thrown in with the veg, rubbed with a bit of olive oil, and into the oven.
    It's easy to discard the rosemary afterwards, with no bits left behind. And you can either leave the garlic in (once it's roasted, the flavour of it is much milder), or store it for a pasta sauce or something the next day.
    The veg only needs a tiny sprinkle of salt afterwards, as it'll be full of flavour already anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,850 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've a few dinner posts to catch up on.

Last week Mrs. Beer did a couple of dinners.

Fried Hake Chinese style with brown rice (I'm sure we had something else with it too but can't remember - maybe a green salad after).
    Lovely lemon, soy, ginger, chilli flavours.

wPCNi4x.jpg

• Advertisement

Another one by Mrs. Beer.
    Pan fried duck breasts, wet polenta, grilled tomatoes and braised courgettes.

oP0nklI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 onlineness

Stir fried beer with rice and peas..very much "I have no money and need to use what I have" dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 onlineness

onlineness wrote: »
    Stir fried beer with rice and peas..very much "I have no money and need to use what I have" dinner!

Beef not beer....and I'm unable to edit my original post :(

Araignée steak, steamed new potatoes, tomatoes and green salad.

2zWpKqq.jpg

A golden dinner:
    Grilled chicken thighs, corn on the cob, crushed roast new potatoes with garlic and rosemary - leftover from the previous day.
    There was a lovely marjoram lemon and white wine jus but as neither of us wanted to put it on our lovely crispy potatoes, we had it in espresso cups:D
    There was also lots of green salad but we didn't bother eating it:o

c6z91IZ.jpg

And finally, last night:
    Not the prettiest dinner I've made but pretty tasty.
    Stirfried leftover chicken thighs.
    Onion, celery, chicken, Chinese sausage, ginger, garlic, chilli, spring onion whites, soy sauce, chicken stock, rice wine, pak choi, spring onion greens, corriander.

aZNbKHH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

kylith wrote: »
    Make a lasagne and put in too much water, and substitute the sheets of pasta for farfalle. Below is the recipe I use, personally I thinkthey go a bit overboard on the cheeses but it's well tasty.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/12/lasagna-soup/

You can do that? :eek:

;)

But sweet cheesus, that is a lot of cheese. Soup looks really nice though. :)

NOS3 wrote: »
    You can do that? :eek:

;)

But sweet cheesus, that is a lot of cheese. Soup looks really nice though. :)

Yeah, I'm a big fan of cheese, but even I'm left going daaaaamn, that's a lot of cheese.

Tasty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

had some pork belly from lidl (2 euro) running out of date, roasted in the oven coated in Jamaican spices,same with some cauliflower and baby spuds,chopped the pork when done and flash fried in some jerk bbq sauce,threw in the veg.. yummy

11r3gr4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pork Chops (Aldi super 6), Carrots (Aldi super 6), Peas (From Garden), Queens (Aldi 1.99) and Homemade Apple Sauce (with apples on Aldi super 6)

I'd say the lost cost about 2.50 a dinner !! and it tasted really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Lidl cod fillets with peppers and garlic with steamed new potatoes and mixed leaf salad. :)

M&S beef stroganoff kit with spuds, broccoli and carrots. And enough left over for lunch :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Reheated lasagne - the second half of Monday's dinner. Last time I reheated lasagne it dried out a bit, this time I heated it in the microwave for about 8 minutes at a low heat, then 20 mins at 200 in the oven. It was perfect.

If I say so myself, one of the nicest lasagnes I've made in a long time. I did the meat sauce in the slow cooker. It was cooking away in there on low for 14 hours. It makes all the difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughter cooked a Nandos style dinner tonight. Spatchcocked chickens, wedges, dips, pitta bread, corn on the cob, salad and coleslaw. We stuffed ourselves and there's plenty left for lunch tomorrow.

I love when someone cooks for me :)

Duck and sugar snap stir fry with brown basmati. Delicious!

Also, this is for lunch tomorrow, and freezer lunches, but my soup is so pretty before the liquid is added!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Took most of these to work today but may have kept a couple at home for after tonight's dinner...

lFMwer0.jpg?1

Serious question, were they difficult to make vertical like that? I've never tried as i assume my ingredients would fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Shepherd's pie tonight. Yup, autumn's drawing in alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had an Indian take on crab cakes. Base of crab meat and potato flavoured with turmeric, curry powder, chilli, black mustard seed and curry leaves with a little softened onion, garlic and ginger. Formed into balls, crumbed and deep fried. Served with a crab mayo and a simple salad.

Night before last I made some simple Japanese food. Onigiri yaki - grilled rice balls. I couldn't quite get the triangular shape, so mine were more rounded. Served that with a rare ribeye on the bone, one steak was enough for two. Also made Sunomono - fresh pickled cucumbers, a perfect foil for the rich beef.

• Advertisement

That's a genius idea for onigiri! I'll be doing that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement