Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Spider nori maki - soft shell crab, avocado & roe. And beers and a cocktail so laced with chili it made my dining companion's eyes water

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Spider nori maki - soft shell crab, avocado & roe. And beers and a cocktail so laced with chili it made my dining companion's eyes water

Sounds like something my 2 year old says when pointing at a spider he finds icky! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pan fried hake, queens, broccoli, carotts, peas fresh from my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Mackerel red Thai curry. I will never use chicken or any other meat again... except when mackerel is out of season..

5u1rw4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night was Green Saffron's Korma which tasted nothing like a takeaway Korma, in a really really good way. It was bursting with flavour and spices without the heat (was thinking of the kids).I added chicken breasts, sauteed onion, red pepper and cherry tomatoes. Served with brown rice, papadom & mango chutney, and slices of chilli :).
    So so delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Singapore fried noodles, so quick to make yourself

Roast half leg of lamb + veg. 40% off the baa's full leg in Supervalu. Bargain!

IMG_20150815_194012_zpsaznukohi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight is fillet steaks with potato gratin and regular boiled potatoes for whoever doesn't want gratin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Doing baked salmon with boiled potatoes & a few cherry tomatoes. Simple fare but delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I decided on a korma tonight as I haven't had it in quite some time. Was just doing a veg one when I decided I really wanted meat for a change. But.....conundrum....none in the fridge. One quick random defrost later and I'm having ostrich korma with mixed veg :pac: (Onion, pepper, courgette, cabbage, broccoli, mange tout, corn)

5yUodp4l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I had lots to do in the garden today, so at mid-day, I brought out the slow cooker and this evening we had a yummy, thick bean and veg cassoulet with quorn sausages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Very nice cod fish cakes. I heard a discussion on Newstalk the other day about how to make fishcakes that weren't bland, and I gave it a go. Loads of herbs from the garden - dill, rosemary, thyme, and plenty parsley - capers (home made nasturtium ones), little pickled onions, all finely chopped. And of course plenty salt and pepper. And panko breadcrumbs on the outside.

Best fish cakes I ever made. So tasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had marinated, roasted chicken wings with Stubbs bbq sauce and buttered corn on the cob. Most excellent Saturday night grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I pushed the boat out and made indonesian beef rendang. It was divine! I followed this recipe from the bbc website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefrendang_78767

It takes time but is well worth it. Rendang is spicy, so make sure to have the toilet roll chilling in the fridge for the next morning.

Also, there is a nice suggestion for cooking the basmati rice there also where you first fry the rice (before cooking) with oil, coriander leaves and cardamom pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Rendang is spicy, so make sure to have the toilet roll chilling in the fridge for the next morning.

Just wondering... Do you actually do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

We had a wee celebration dinner last night in Le Bon Crubeen on Talbot Street in Dublin. I had salt cod for starter, and braised pork cheeks with green beans and mustard mash for mains. Holy god the pork cheeks... Such FLAVOUR. Highly recommend.

Also recommend three bottles of prosecco for optimum Sunday morning fuzziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Dolbert wrote: »
    Singapore fried noodles, so quick to make yourself

What recipe do you use? I love singapore noodles but never made them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,855 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bangers and roast garlic mash with onion gravy, grilled tomatoes and sugar snaps.

C1Vc0Gk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Bangers and roast garlic mash with onion gravy, grilled tomatoes and sugar snaps.

If you wouldn't mind, could you share your onion gravy recipe?
    It looks delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,855 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fussyonion wrote: »
    If you wouldn't mind, could you share your onion gravy recipe?
    It looks delicious.

Gently fry a thinly sliced medium onion in butter and a bit of oil until nicely browned - about 10 minutes.
    Add about a tablespoon of flour and a spoon of Dijon mustard.
    Off the heat, add about a glass of red wine and mix until smooth.
    Add a rich beef stock pot thingy, a dash of Worcester sauce, some fresh thyme, a bay leaf, pinch of chilli flakes and a bit of tomato puree.
    Simmer for about half an hour, adding water to get desired consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Roast chicken with cauliflower cheese, broccoli, parsnip and carrot chips, and roast potatoes. :)

Last min plan to jump on the train into town for early dinner. Was hoping to get into Elephant & Castle or Bunsen but no joy. So I decided to head to Crackbird after haven't been there for a couple of years. Had buttermilk fried chicken, soy garlic wings, slaw & cous cous, with sauces sriracha & another one I can't seem to remember the name. Disappointing :( The chicken just didn't taste the same/as good as I remembered. They used to be so so good. Sigh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Spicy rice with vegetables and roasted hokkaido squash with sour cream.

j1101t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I was craving stodge last night, so I decided to order an Indian takeaway. Once I realised Bombay Pantry don't deliver to my area (boo to that) I ordered from Jewel in the Crown in Ballsbridge. Lamb Rogan Josh with pilau and garlic and coriander naan. Absolutely delicious but I still feel pretty guilty :o

Roast chicken leg in dried porcini rub, spiced quinoa & chickpea tabbouleh, and slaw.

IMG_20150817_200853_zpswkz7nsw6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

What recipe do you use? I love singapore noodles but never made them.

It's just makey uppey really, I fried some diced onion and garlic with some thinly sliced chicken breast, added about a tablespoon of curry paste, then put in various stir fry veggies. When they're cooked toss in prawns at the end (if they're precooked) and then mix in your cooked noodles. I used instant wok noodles and frozen veg for bonus laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pasta alla Norma.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made buckwheat pancakes with egg and bacon and cheese. Delicious, apart from the pancakes were way too thick! Practice makes perfect.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shakshuka and salad. And then I went for a walk, and now I'm starving again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Roast chicken leg in dried porcini rub, spiced quinoa & chickpea tabbouleh, and slaw.
    Do you have a recipe for the spiced tabbouleh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement