Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum to Become Commercial Bingo Centre

Options
  • 16-12-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Only half listening to wlrfm in work this morning and they were saying that after March there will be no more gigs as place with be a bingo cente, with Restaurant downstairs and Next door off licence.

Said this was the way to go in these times and were hoping it would attract interest from commercial bingo firms from abroad.

Something like that anyway..

Hard to believe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ghostbusthat

Terrible news for live music in Waterford. We may as well forget about any touring bands stopping off here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Terrible news for live music in Waterford. We may as well forget about any touring bands stopping off here now.

They never did anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

O Riain wrote: »
    They never did anyway

Hard to blame them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

How can a town that complains to EVERYONE about a €5 door charge ever maintain a venue for live acts?

Waterford has been known as a shocking city for live music for many, many years.

The Four of us played in a venue in Waterford last weekend and 25 people showed up (the majority of them travelled from outside of Waterford to see the gig)

Sure look at the attitude of people upon hearing this news "sure there were never any decent acts anyway". BULL. There's a possibility that your favourite band, who probably hail from some dark hole of Canada and nobody's ever heard of them, haven't played in the forum and this pisses you off.

There's a reason why the same 3-4 bands play in the same venues each week. Waterford people won't pay for anything (the town is only busy when there's something free on - tall ships music, Spraoi etc - daytripper tries something and loses a fortune thanks to people's belief that they were being ripped off, even when the opposite was true).

Waterford people only seem to want the jam tarts. So that's what they deserve tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ This has also sadly been my experience being involved in music in Waterford for many years. A truly grim place to run music events.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Four of us played in a venue in Waterford last weekend and 25 people showed up (the majority of them travelled from outside of Waterford to see the gig)

Felt cheated when I saw them in Kitlers in Kilkenny, there's two of them for a start and only one of the original band! :pac:

Anyway, for an offer of a comparison they played in Kitlers back a few months back and the place was very busy,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭dzilla

sign of how things are going in waterford. I don't know the cost of running a bingo event, but it can look as a cheaper alternative to a social outlet with a chance of a cash windfall, (spend a small amount and possible win a small fortune similiar to the amount of bookies openning nationwide)

its a pity because there is no stand out location for big bands to come to Waterford. In my opinion dance music is popular and has been the last 10 years because it is easier to set up a dj with a set of decks or laptop than a whole band, you have to pay less people, and you can pack out places like 10 (crystal) etc and charge a premium for the bottles

O Riain wrote: »
    They never did anyway

I have been to see a number of touring bands in the Forum in the past few years? There might not have been a huge amount of them, but it was nice to see the ones that did manage to get an alright crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

billy connolly played there willie nelson and johnny cash played there,This a discrace that the are turning it in to a bingo centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I think this is a great opportunity to mix the whole lot together. Drinking, dancing, live music and bingo!
    A true test of a bingo champion : See who can pay attention to what numbers have been called out at random times during songs, while dancing drunk.
    'Smack my SEVENTEEN up'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

reminds me of the the music fest in 2011 when 50 cent played at the rsc, there was probably more people outside watching than people inside the place , and even then some of the people in there had sneaked in,:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

reminds me of the the music fest in 2011 when 50 cent played at the rsc, there was probably more people outside watching than people inside the place , and even then some of the people in there had sneaked in,:(

It was 50 cent, what exactly did expect? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Very sad to see. I've always tried my best to go see bands when they play The Forum. The gigs were always very good with the sound being better than most places I've been to. But there was always very small numbers when I did go there so it's not surprising. Looks like a lot more travelling to Cork/Dublin in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

The forum has been making more money doing bingo than it has with live music as far as im aware..
    Their accounts are in the red, so why wouldnt they make the change if they will benefit?

Personally, ive seen bands playing on peoples doorsteps in this city and people wont even open their doors.

I say fair played to the management for making an admin decision, it will keep them and their staff in business.
    But its a sad day when a music venue closes its doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,154 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's sad to see a venue close had a good few times over the last few years saw acts such as limehouse lizzy, the umbeliveables, Tommy Tiernan among others

People in this city always something cheap or something free. Sounds like daytripper might not take place next summer if they made such a loss. More trips to Dublin and cork for decent live music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We're (and the whole business is ) a long way from the days when Music Moves could wangle The Smiths etc to Waterford when they were hot acts.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smiths/1984/savoy-waterford-ireland-1bd7d558.html

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

In fairness the place has been flip flopping from one thing to another, try this try that without giving anything a chance to bed in.
    Promotor seemed to try just about everything and failed, with most of the gigs.
    Smash hits, spring break, Dave Clarke rinse wash and repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Nypd wrote: »
    In fairness the place has been flip flopping from one thing to another, try this try that without giving anything a chance to bed in.
    Promotor seemed to try just about everything and failed, with most of the gigs.
    Smash hits, spring break, Dave Clarke rinse wash and repeat.

I don't think that's fair, and any truth in it reflects what Waterford people reacted to. Those acts you mentioned obviously filled the place so it makes sense that they revisited them whenever possible.

Take a look at the acts that they have welcomed down the years and it's really impossible to say that they haven't tried new things. Daytripper is a perfect example of this.

Look at the other end of town - No Hot Ashes, Jam Tarts, Lebowski, Unusual Suspects...rinse, wash and repeat. Why? Because that's what Waterford people want. Bring in a new, unheard of originals band, and they'll be playing to nobody. Such is life.

The Forum should be applauded for hanging on as long as they did.

With Mick O'Keeffe in Shorrts now, you'll more than likely see the likes of Smash Hits etc down there now. Maybe the odd sprinkling of a Jack L and the likes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

What a stupid post. Did the Forum upset you in some way? If it's yourself promoting the gig you linked I doubt you will get any takers seen as you seem to have a childish way of promoting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think that one can be blamed on the band. Still, must be hard having to play to a crowd like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I don't think that's fair, and any truth in it reflects what Waterford people reacted to. Those acts you mentioned obviously filled the place so it makes sense that they revisited them whenever possible.

With Mick O'Keeffe in Shorrts now, you'll more than likely see the likes of Smash Hits etc down there now. Maybe the odd sprinkling of a Jack L and the likes as well.

Im not being unfair, Hats off to the forum they survived for years doing their own thing.

Anyone think Shortt's is gonna take their place? Just had a look at the listings from the link above and The Answer will be playing there in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Anyone think Shortt's is gonna take their place? Just had a look at the listings from the link above and The Answer will be playing there in March.
    Well considering the booker from the forum (who was formerly at Electric Avenue) is back in Shortts, I'd say that's some very good detective from you there!

It's a shame that the Forum is gone. The acoustics were always fantastic and I was always very grateful to be able to see some fantastic bands on our doorstep for sometimes half the price that you'd see them in Dublin for... and even still people were complaining about prices.

Some of my best nights out ever were there and I think the New Years Party is going to be fantastic there!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,154 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really there a good band. Think i will be going that night please god

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I was up there Friday to see O Emperor play and it was almost embarrassing how small the turn out was in their hometown. It was mainly just family and friends up there. Felt sorry for the lads, speaking to the drummer after and he said its one of the smallest crowds they have played in front of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Heard the demon drink will be sold at these new bingo sessions or has this always been the case.

I was up there Friday to see O Emperor play and it was almost embarrassing how small the turn out was in their hometown. It was mainly just family and friends up there. Felt sorry for the lads, speaking to the drummer after and he said its one of the smallest crowds they have played in front of.

I have to say that by comparison to their previous gigs I thought this was a lot less advertised. It was the first of their Waterford gigs I've ever missed due to being on a work night out which was a pity.

Just watch though, they'll go and get well-known this coming year and the whole town will be giving out about them not coming home to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭dzilla

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Just watch though, they'll go and get well-known this coming year.

Reckon that ship has sailed

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    Reckon that ship has sailed

As in you reckon they're well-known already or won't ever be?

Advertisement