Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon 2014 (AAI National Half)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

I'm pretty sure they don't pay the bands. :)

Am 100% sure they do. This year at any rate. I'm from Limerick and so is one of the bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Anyone want to organise a beer half marathon?

Best. Idea. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

gigtown wrote: »
    Best. Idea. Ever.

I am throwing my hat in the ring for this. The aim? Sub 1.55. I'd be in some state after though!

Dublin Runner would like to remind everyone to Drink Responsibly.........:rolleyes:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'll be at a water station around the 8k mark, I can watch your beers for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Beer hm? Yes please..... None of this mile stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    I'll be at a water station around the 8k mark, I can watch your beers for you...

He really means , he drink your beers while having his bbq!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I didn't see this posted on the thread, €29 instead of €49 for the half.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin/gl-rock-n-roll-dublin-half-marathon/42338316?utm_source=awn&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=130858

I've signed up, hoping it's not as bad as peoples are suggesting ha but the course does looks mad and the starting time is ridiculous, why so early?? :eek:

I didn't see this posted on the thread, €29 instead of €49 for the half.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin/gl-rock-n-roll-dublin-half-marathon/42338316?utm_source=awn&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=130858

I've signed up, hoping it's not as bad as peoples are suggesting ha but the course does looks mad and the starting time is ridiculous, why so early?? :eek:

That's a first. A race on Groupon!

As I said before, it will be very well organised and run. I am not the biggest fan of the route but still should be a good race. Really like the t-shirt from last year but hopefully they change the colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

I think this year's shirt is black. Here's a (slightly mangled) link

http: //uk.competitor. com/files/2014/07/DUB-Participant-Tee-600x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

emerald007 wrote: »

*Cringe*

The little shamrock over the "I" in Dublin really sums up the paddywhackery of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Signed up for this ages ago but have done zero training, am in brutal shape. Did a half in April and was 10 mins off my PB, can only imagine how bad I'll be at this.
    One part of me says skip it, the route is terrible etc, the other part of me says you've paid for it, go out and take your punishment for being so lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Ah, so this is the place to go to on Boards for a good old whinge and moan!

I'm looking forward to it anyway, maybe I should start a new PMA thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I'm looking forward to it and I like the route. I can't get enough races in Phoenix Park.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm looking forward to it aswell. First run in the park too.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

I signed up for it very early before considering the route as I enjoyed it last year. I must say when I discovered the route I was disappointed, got really annoyed when I saw all those discount going around because they struggled getting the number. But now, the closer we get the more impatient I am, I m sure it s gonna be a great race, very tough though, hopefully it won't be too windy or if it is, in our back!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Haven't ran in phoenix park yet.

How hilly is that part? Video of course looks deceivingly flat!

frogstar wrote: »
    Haven't ran in phoenix park yet.

How hilly is that part? Video of course looks deceivingly flat!

If you look at the profile on their website, you will have a fair idea:

http://ie.competitor.com/dublin/course

as soon as we get in the park their is a 1.5km hill but we could get the wind in our back on that one ( assuming western, south western winds...) then a long slop down hill for 1 km after that it s slightly going up hill until the end. Again, the wind could be a big factor....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭ooter

From my experience of running in the p park the wind is more often than not in your face running along acres road in that direction,tough introduction to the park if you've never ran it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

ooter wrote: »
    From my experience of running in the p park the wind is more often than not in your face running along acres road in that direction,tough introduction to the park if you've never ran it before.

Luckily, once we get to the top of Acres Road, there'll be energy gels and then a blast down Kyber Road, 'the fastest stretch of running tarmac in the world'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Good luck all, I'm marshaling at the 1st mile maker, O'Connell bridge, so will give you all a good cheer. (I'll try make sure you all get through the junction ok :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

This will be my first half marathon - i'm looking forward to it. Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

My first HM too! The hills look dreadful. I've ran 21k around 6-7 times since I started running and hoping it stands to me! I have been having nightmares lol!

Everyone has to run the same hills so no point worrying about them! The start is nice and flat, this will allow you to get into a nice rhythm. If you play it tactical and race smart you will cruise up the hills and pass a lot of people out.

I am pacing the 1.45 group (red, I think). Best of luck to everyone. See you all bright and early!

Everyone has to run the same hills so no point worrying about them! The start is nice and flat, this will allow you to get into a nice rhythm. If you play it tactical and race smart you will cruise up the hills and pass a lot of people out.

I am pacing the 1.45 group (red, I think). Best of luck to everyone. See you all bright and early!

The tactic is my issue for this profile. The first half being easier, should I try to push a bit more knowing that it will be hard to keep the pace in the last 11km? Or should I attempt a negative split despite having the most challenging part on the second half of the race. For info my PB is 1h45 that I did last year on the rock n roll and the same time this year in Wicklow. So I'm hoping for 1h42...Just scared to start to fast and blow in the park! Any advice more than welcome!

lmguillou wrote: »
    The tactic is my issue for this profile. The first half being easier, should I try to push a bit more knowing that it will be hard to keep the pace in the last 11km? Or should I attempt a negative split despite having the most challenging part on the second half of the race. For info my PB is 1h45 that I did last year on the rock n roll and the same time this year in Wicklow. So I'm hoping for 1h42...Just scared to start to fast and blow in the park! Any advice more than welcome!

A hard one to answer but i'll attempt to :)

Firstly, it's not the fastest course around but that doesn't mean that a good time cannot be run. It's all about pacing yourself and judging the effort smartly.

Banking some time during the first few miles has risks. We all know what they are (blowing up etc..) For example, the hill at Christchurch is enough to ruin any chances of running a good time if poorly approached. I personally wouldn't overthink it. I would maintain a steady pace (working hard but too hard) for the first 10 miles and re-evaluate. If feeling good, push on, gradually increasing the pace/effort over the last few miles. Finishing strongly. If you do this you will be almost guaranteed to pass out a lot of people. Maybe follow the 1.45 group for the first few miles (we will keep you sensible :cool:) and see how you feel.

People often underestimate the amount of time that can be gained over the last 5km and obviously, how much time that can be lost.

A hard one to answer but i'll attempt to :)

Firstly, it's not the fastest course around but that doesn't mean that a good time cannot be run. It's all about pacing yourself and judging the effort smartly.

Banking some time during the first few miles has risks. We all know what they are (blowing up etc..) For example, the hill at Christchurch is enough to ruin any chances of running a good time if poorly approached. I personally wouldn't overthink it. I would maintain a steady pace (working hard but too hard) for the first 10 miles and re-evaluate. If feeling good, push on, gradually increasing the pace/effort over the last few miles. Finishing strongly. If you do this you will be almost guaranteed to pass out a lot of people. Maybe follow the 1.45 group for the first few miles (we will keep you sensible :cool:) and see how you feel.

People often underestimate the amount of time that can be gained over the last 5km and obviously, how much time that can be lost.
    thanks! I think I will go with this approach in mind and stick with you at the beginning 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

First HM too! Getting nervous! Have ran as far as 19k but not done the whole 21k so hoping all goes well on the day:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

im getting a lift into town on monday any idea how far up the quays i will get up towards the starting line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Any key? wrote: »
    First HM too! Getting nervous! Have ran as far as 19k but not done the whole 21k so hoping all goes well on the day:eek:

It will be fine, don't go too fast at the start and you'll be fine.

Advertisement