Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

August 1
    First Up wrote: »
    I haven't used LD but the Stena (former Celtic Link) ship is said to be very similar and that one is far more basic than the OW with regard to lounges, comfort etc. I've not seen any reports of entertainment on LD (none on Stena) but you might be lucky enough to be on the same sailing as some of the posters here, who are great craic altogether.

I've experience of both the Stena (former Celtic Link) and Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde and whilst the Oscar Wilde has the advantage of a stage show and kids entertainment (clowns + disco etc) my opinion is that the Stena actually had more comfortable lounges and definetly had better cabins so if the LD is the same as the Stena (I've read it's the same design but has a more recent fit out?) then it should be better than the Oscar Wilde excluding the entertainment.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

BenThere wrote: »
    I've experience of both the Stena (former Celtic Link) and Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde and whilst the Oscar Wilde has the advantage of a stage show and kids entertainment (clowns + disco etc) my opinion is that the Stena actually had more comfortable lounges and definetly had better cabins so if the LD is the same as the Stena (I've read it's the same design but has a more recent fit out?) then it should be better than the Oscar Wilde excluding the entertainment.

Ben

Ah man, you're gonna start him off on a rant again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Trust me, there is no comparison. You would be entitled to wonder what on earth is going on in this thread so here's a suggestion; go into Tripadvisor, open the forums section and put in LD Lines. Posts relate to their cross channel ferries but similar vessels to their Rosslare ship.
    You know what the Oscar Wilde is like, so draw your own comparisons -and conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

July 4
    Trust me, there is no comparison. You would be entitled to wonder what on earth is going on in this thread so here's a suggestion; go into Tripadvisor, open the forums section and put in LD Lines. Posts relate to their cross channel ferries but similar vessels to their Rosslare ship.
    You know what the Oscar Wilde is like, so draw your own comparisons -and conclusions.

Cross-channel ferry reviews aren't particularly useful if you're interested in how a ferry stands up to 20 hours on board. Again - unless you're particularly interested in programmed entertainment (which if you're trying to keep kids happy / out from under your feet, may be a consideration - otherwise probably not), or who does the best ferry catering (best non-swimmer badge anyone?), the real matters of concern are the quality of service from the crew, comfort of cabins or pullmans, reliability, quality/cleanliness of fit-out, and destination and schedule suitability. The Oscar Wilde certainly offers way more on the programmed entertainment front, so if that's your prime consideration, then it's a no-brainer - LD don't offer the kiddies anything beyond board games and DVD hire. If you want a brand spanky new ship fit-out with comfortable cabins and typical ferry food quality, with a more southerly destination, and a limited sailing schedule, then LD to St Nazaire might be for you. Neither experience is anything to get excited about - it's presumably your destination where things actually get fun.

As someone who considers ferry entertainment to be something of an oxymoron, I have to say that whatever premium on your ticket price goes there, is wasted on this particular (childless) traveller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

alastair wrote: »
    Cross-channel ferry reviews aren't particularly useful if you're interested in how a ferry stands up to 20 hours on board. Again - unless you're particularly interested in programmed entertainment (which if you're trying to keep kids happy / out from under your feet, may be a consideration - otherwise probably not), or who does the best ferry catering (best non-swimmer badge anyone?), the real matters of concern are the quality of service from the crew, comfort of cabins or pullmans, reliability, quality/cleanliness of fit-out, and destination and schedule suitability. The Oscar Wilde certainly offers way more on the programmed entertainment front, so if that's your prime consideration, then it's a no-brainer - LD don't offer the kiddies anything beyond board games and DVD hire. If you want a brand spanky new ship fit-out with comfortable cabins and typical ferry food quality, with a more southerly destination, and a limited sailing schedule, then LD to St Nazaire might be for you. Neither experience is anything to get excited about - it's presumably your destination where things actually get fun.

As someone who considers ferry entertainment to be something of an oxymoron, I have to say that whatever premium on your ticket price goes there, is wasted on this particular (childless) traveller.

I heard the same argument a few years ago against Celtic Link (compared with Irish Ferries). People must place a very high value on a few clowns/ caberet singers or whatever it is that's worth the premium charged by Irish Ferries for the same crossing. Thankfully on a 16 hour crossing, my 3 children have for the last few years been able to entertain themselves with colouring, playing cards,
    walking around the boat and on deck, playing in the soft area, the art of conversation, reading and a portable DVD player. We also enjoy a few drinks in the bar while they have a few treats at what is essentially the start of our holiday. With the exception of a swimming pool, I cannot see what additional extra entertainment a ferry company could provide to make the journey quicker or more pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    And this is why the thread is 75 pages long.......

Here we go again....

MammaZita wrote: »
    I heard the same argument a few years ago against Celtic Link (compared with Irish Ferries). People must place a very high value on a few clowns/ caberet singers or whatever it is that's worth the premium charged by Irish Ferries for the same crossing. Thankfully on a 16 hour crossing, my 3 children have for the last few years been able to entertain themselves with colouring, playing cards,
    walking around the boat and on deck, playing in the soft area, the art of conversation, reading and a portable DVD player. We also enjoy a few drinks in the bar while they have a few treats at what is essentially the start of our holiday. With the exception of a swimming pool, I cannot see what additional extra entertainment a ferry company could provide to make the journey quicker or more pleasant.

Space, variety and choice for starters. The kids enjoy the entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I am very interested in the comfort of the cabins. If I am travelling alone, I spend a fair bit of time there, usually reading or watching TV. As childless travelers, the entertainment thing is something we avoid. I must say that I do like the way one of the beds turns into a sofa on the OW, and we are certainly too old for bunks. But I'm definitely going to try the LDL boat for my next trip - love the idea of knocking two hours at least off my journey in France.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

. The kids enjoy the entertainment.

When i was on the ow,( which is widely acknowledged here by many as an oul overpriced tub in dire need of a refit) my kids thought the entertainment was sh1t.

But we will just add your comment to more of the bs you spout here.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

August 1
    In fairness, the children do enjoy the entertainment the first couple of times, if they are at the right age- maybe between 5 to 8 or 9. It tends to be pretty much the same every year though so if you travel frequently it gets old for them fairly quickly. Also on Irish Ferries you can upgrade to some fairly luxurious cabins which we availed of a few times, especially off season when you would worry about the weather crossing and knew we were going to spend a lot of time in the cabin.

I think the staff used to be worse on IF a few years ago, I remember one Christmas crossing when the boat had loads of eastern europeans going home for christmas and a good few irish-french families doing the same along with a few brave travellers and a large group of male passengers proceeded to get biliously, viciously drunk and fights broke out all over the ship, including along the corridors of the cabins. Staff nowhere to be seen. It was frightening. Even the next morning staff kept themselves completely absent, meanwhile all the families were afraid to leave their cabins.

I find them better nowadays on IF, but was there not a complete change of staff a few years ago- seem to remember some industrial action about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

August 1
    Two more sleeps to go ;)

Ben

dockleaf wrote: »
    In fairness, the children do enjoy the entertainment the first couple of times, if they are at the right age- maybe between 5 to 8 or 9. It tends to be pretty much the same every year though so if you travel frequently it gets old for them fairly quickly. Also on Irish Ferries you can upgrade to some fairly luxurious cabins which we availed of a few times, especially off season when you would worry about the weather crossing and knew we were going to spend a lot of time in the cabin.

I think the staff used to be worse on IF a few years ago, I remember one Christmas crossing when the boat had loads of eastern europeans going home for christmas and a good few irish-french families doing the same along with a few brave travellers and a large group of male passengers proceeded to get biliously, viciously drunk and fights broke out all over the ship, including along the corridors of the cabins. Staff nowhere to be seen. It was frightening. Even the next morning staff kept themselves completely absent, meanwhile all the families were afraid to leave their cabins.

I find them better nowadays on IF, but was there not a complete change of staff a few years ago- seem to remember some industrial action about it?

That sounds nasty. I recall a group of noisy passengers in the front lounge a few years back but the crew sorted them pretty quick.

The crew change thing happened a good while back when they essentially moved the whole operation offshore. The screw are mostly East European - a lot of Estonians - and I have always found them grand.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    When i was on the ow,( which is widely acknowledged here by many as an oul overpriced tub in dire need of a refit) my kids thought the entertainment was sh1t.

But we will just add your comment to more of the bs you spout here.

Well the poster who asked the question said his kids loved it, so if you want to insult his family, that's OK by me. He asked if the LD Ship offered comparable entertainment and I told him it doesn't. Am I wrong?

As well as the cabaret stuff there is a cinema. As for space, there are the two big lounges fore and aft, the other bar midships, the four restaurants, the games area and the kiddies romp room.

Overpriced? Maybe you pay for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

August 1
    The crew change thing happened a good while back when they essentially moved the whole operation offshore. The screw are mostly East European - a lot of Estonians - and I have always found them grand.

Yeah, have found them ok- a bit unfriendly but professional.

Actually think we got mixed up in that industrial action- went to Rosslare ready to get on the ferry, after driving 5 hours to get there, this would have been about 8 or 9 years ago, were told the ferry cancelled due to industrial action. Had to drive to dublin, go over to Wales, drive down through England and get a ferry from Portsmouth to Caen, nightmare with a toddler.

dockleaf wrote: »
    Yeah, have found them ok- a bit unfriendly but professional.

Actually think we got mixed up in that industrial action- went to Rosslare ready to get on the ferry, after driving 5 hours to get there, this would have been about 8 or 9 years ago, were told the ferry cancelled due to industrial action. Had to drive to dublin, go over to Wales, drive down through England and get a ferry from Portsmouth to Caen, nightmare with a toddler.

Yikes, that sounds like a nightmare. At least nowadays there's a range of options.

As for the crew, if anyone was ever in Estonia - or has met many of them - they will know that the IF crew are positively gregarious by their standards! Possibly the most impassive race on the planet.

I remember the Celtic Link crew as being lovely - very friendly. I think they were Portuguese. Out of interest, which nationality are the crew on the LDL ship?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Jeez I never guessed that asking a simple question about kids entertainment/comparison would be akin to shaking a bee hive in here.

Well as I mentioned it was our first time, and tbh I have no complaints. but yes, maybe if I used the service frequently the entertainment on the OW might get tedious.

but again it was a simple question about entertainment on both ships which again as a father of two young kids would be a big part in my holiday plan - especially for such long journeys.

/gone way off topic ..sorry!

July 4
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    Jeez I never guessed that asking a simple question about kids entertainment/comparison would be akin to shaking a bee hive in here.

Well as I mentioned it was our first time, and tbh I have no complaints. but yes, maybe if I used the service frequently the entertainment on the OW might get tedious.

but again it was a simple question about entertainment on both ships which again as a father of two young kids would be a big part in my holiday plan - especially for such long journeys.

families sit in the lounge area playing cards or travel games and reading.
    Mine liked travel size connect 4 and monopoly. Kids spend ages making loom bands. You can have a tablet / ds / dvd for the cabin. Remember adaptor and short extension lead for charging. Going to the restaurant passes the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

July 4
    vienne86 wrote: »
    I remember the Celtic Link crew as being lovely - very friendly. I think they were Portuguese. Out of interest, which nationality are the crew on the LDL ship?

They're Portuguese too.

alastair wrote: »
    They're Portuguese too.

and from my informed experience of using stena, IF and other ferry co's into europe, some of the nicest and hardest working crew I've encountered.

Irish Ferries crew could learn a lot from them, especially on how to keep a ship clean, and up to standard.

• Advertisement

Stena only came late onto this route, having taken over from Celtic Ferries. It is a big company, and it will be interesting to see how they develop the route e.g. which ship will they use next year?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Stena only came late onto this route, having taken over from Celtic Ferries. It is a big company, and it will be interesting to see how they develop the route e.g. which ship will they use next year?

true, but the ethos in the stena group for fresh, clean vessels is not really there, just go onboard the stena nordica or adverturer to see my point...... They have a new CEO in Stena and he styles himself as a Michael O'Leary of the sea's, and wants Stena to be a no frills, low fares provider..... I'd not expect much to be honest.

Agueroooo wrote: »

Not your fault mate. You asked a straightforward question and it was my straightforward answer that infuriated the mob. If you want entertainment on a ship from Rosslare - go IF, it's that simple.

There might be other benefits too, but I won't go into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

July 25
    Sorry to interrupt yet another tangent on the OW vs Norman Atlantic but can anyone recommend somewhere in the Saint Jean de Montes area to bulk but some wine.

Supermarkets are cheap enough but want to buy the wine in boxes of twelve or whatever for easierpacking .

Rep here mentioned a wine cave??

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭tom traubert

July 4
    frash wrote: »
    Sorry to interrupt yet another tangent on the OW vs Norman Atlantic but can anyone recommend somewhere in the Saint Jean de Montes area to bulk but some wine.

Supermarkets are cheap enough but want to buy the wine in boxes of twelve or whatever for easierpacking .

I didn't look into it too much myself as I wasn't bringing a whole lot back this time. It was reported to me though that the LeClerc in Challans had a much better selection than any of the Super Us or Hyper Us in the vicinity.

Caves I didn't look into at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭tom traubert

July 4

I didn't look into it too much myself as I wasn't bringing a whole lot back this time. It was reported to me though that the LeClerc in Challans had a much better selection than any of the Super Us or Hyper Us in the vicinity.

Caves I didn't look into at all.

July 4

bought various bottles of wine in a supermarket, i picked up some wine boxes off the floor or I suppose you could ask for them. Put socks on each bottle and 6 in each box, taped up the boxes, perfect job!

Auchan, Carrefour and the other big chains sell lots of wine in cases of six. There is a nice regional wine fair in St Gilles Croix de Vie around this time but it may already have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Head out rue des sables towards the twin Siblu park of bois Masson / bois dormant. There was a small place on your left hand side just before the parks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Check the big supermarkets - they usually have their own weekly or fortnightly specials in 6-bottle cartons. If you get to a few different ones you can get a reasonable variety.

Advertisement