Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

July 4
    Is this the longest bargain alert thread for something's that no longer a bargain?

Thanks for your contribution... its been very insightful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Thanks for your contribution... its been very insightful :rolleyes:

They are a very sensitive lot on here,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Is this the longest bargain alert thread for something's that no longer a bargain?

So what if it is - it is one of the best bargains I have seen on this forum and I am still thankful to OP. And lots of useful info has surfaced on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    We're off on Friday..very excited! Wonder if we check in early will be miss the queue for cabins? We need a cot and I'm afraid to leave it late as they said to just ask for one at reception. It would be a disaster if there were none left!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

August 1
    redmissb wrote: »
    We're off on Friday..very excited! Wonder if we check in early will be miss the queue for cabins? We need a cot and I'm afraid to leave it late as they said to just ask for one at reception. It would be a disaster if there were none left!

I'm travelling this Friday also and planning to board around 7:45. I have one cabin with two kids but no need for a cot. I'm sure they have plenty.

Don't think you can board much before 7:30 anyway.

We should have a Boards.ie section in the bar reserved all to ourselves!!

Ben

• Advertisement

August 1
    We should Ben! Will probably head to ferry around 7ish, actually think they said on fb they will start boarding around 2hrs prior to departure..had forgotten about that.
    Where in France are you heading?

August 1
    St Jean de Monts. Three weeks in St Jean de Monts. Can't wait. Happy days :p

Ben

August 1
    We're probably on same sailing back, 13 August? We're heading down to La Palmrye, though staying in St Nazaire the first night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

BenThere wrote: »
    St Jean de Monts. Three weeks in St Jean de Monts. Can't wait. Happy days :p

Ben

fair play, I've 11 sleeps to go until I hit the road for St Jean De Monts as well. My other half is already getting geared up for an assault on the market!

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jovi

August 1
    We are also heading this Friday and coming back 13th August. First time to go with campervan so very excited. We didn't book any campsites, but plan on heading south. See you on the ship! Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Jovi wrote: »
    We are also heading this Friday and coming back 13th August. First time to go with campervan so very excited. We didn't book any campsites, but plan on heading south. See you on the ship! Enjoy!

This will be our 4th summer taking the motorhome to France (though we use Celtic Link- same ferry as LD Lines). First few year we travelled south too- St Tropez etc. Now that the children are older, more vocal and sleep less, we only drive from Cherbourg to the Vendee area. You'll have a ball- nothing beats the freedom of motorhoming in France with no pressure to be at a campsite... Loads of advice on Motorhomecraic.com and the Motorhome & Campervan forum on Boards.

We should Ben! Will probably head to ferry around 7ish, actually think they said on fb they will start boarding around 2hrs prior to departure..had forgotten about that.
    Where in France are you heading?

Most ferries start things rolling two hours before departure. Me, I have a last-on-first-off policy which I have bored you all with already on this thread.

August 1
    We're probably on same sailing back, 13 August? We're heading down to La Palmrye, though staying in St Nazaire the first night:)

Na, we're heading back on the 16th via Irish Ferries from Roscoff.

We stayed in La Palmyre with Siblu in Bone Anse Plage a few years and loved it. The Zoo in La Palmyre is really amazing, up there with Singapore Zoo in my opinion and if you are looking for nice less populated beaches drive past the Zoo a couple of KM's and you'll see parking exits on the left. If you exit into one of these and park up you can then walk directly (under the road) to the beach. No more than 200-300m walk. Really good.

We tried St Jean de Monts last year and liked it also so going back again but La Palmyre is really good and on average gets better weather as it's that bit further south. You'll love it.

Ben

August 1
    My other half is already getting geared up for an assault on the market!
    Is that the municipal market in the centre of the town selling local farm produce etc?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

August 8
    We're off next Friday, must say, really looking forward to it. Thanks to the people who sent kind messages for putting the offer up. It reaffirms your faith in humanity!

As a little side note, a big of trivia for you all. LD Lines is part of the Louis Dreyfus Group, a company now controlled by Gerard Dreyfus, father of Elaine Bennis from Seinfeld (Julia Louis Dreyfus)!

Having rewatched all 9 seasons recently (including 2 series on a recent Celtic ferries trip oddly enough), I can confirm that it is the best sitcom of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

July 4
    We're off next Friday, must say, really looking forward to it. Thanks to the people who sent kind messages for putting the offer up. It reaffirms your faith in humanity!

As a little side note, a big of trivia for you all. LD Lines is part of the Louis Dreyfus Group, a company now controlled by Gerard Dreyfus, father of Elaine Bennis from Seinfeld (Julia Louis Dreyfus)!

Having rewatched all 9 seasons recently (including 2 series on a recent Celtic ferries trip oddly enough), I can confirm that it is the best sitcom of all time.

You deserve a great holiday for setting us all up on this one! Many Thanks for tipping us off on it all those months back.

I rolled off that bit of trivia to my wife re Elaine and she found it very good.

Have a great holiday!
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

They have a connection with the Danish outfit DFDS Seaways as well, but I don't know if there are any family links to "Borgen" or "The Killing"

August 1
    Na, we're heading back on the 16th via Irish Ferries from Roscoff.

We stayed in La Palmyre with Siblu in Bone Anse Plage a few years and loved it. The Zoo in La Palmyre is really amazing, up there with Singapore Zoo in my opinion and if you are looking for nice less populated beaches drive past the Zoo a couple of KM's and you'll see parking exits on the left. If you exit into one of these and park up you can then walk directly (under the road) to the beach. No more than 200-300m walk. Really good.

We tried St Jean de Monts last year and liked it also so going back again but La Palmyre is really good and on average gets better weather as it's that bit further south. You'll love it.

Ben

Thanks Ben, we were there last year in Siblu Les Charmettes and absolutely loved it. Thanks for the tip re the beach, not sure if that's the one we used to go to last summer, there was loads of parking by the road and you had to walk through the forest..didn't know there was a path under the road so will check that out for sure. Agree the zoo is brilliant, you get really close to the animals. Staying in L'Oree du Bois this year, hope it's good. Would love to go to Jean de Monts, heard it's lovely.

August 1

JF, make yourself known in the bar and I'll buy you a pint, it's the last I can do for you. You saved me hundreds of Euro

Ben

August 8
    JF, make yourself known in the bar and I'll buy you a pint, it's the last I can do for you. You saved me hundreds of Euro

Ben

I might do that, but I wont let you buy me a pint! Everybody here benefitted (except first up) so its a major win win.

• Advertisement

August 8

Ben

that and Im going on the 1st august. if some other punters on ferry announce themselves as Johnny fontane, I'm not responsible!

I might do that, but I wont let you buy me a pint! Everybody here benefitted (except first up) so its a major win win.

Oh I dunno! The extra competition might do something for the fares, even if the LD (or Stena) ships are not my cup of tea.

Each to his own and enjoy - you deserve it!

that and Im going on the 1st august. if some other punters on ferry announce themselves as Johnny fontane, I'm not responsible!

Well I think you deserve a free ticket from LDL! Have a great holiday, and when you see a bargain for next year, let us all know!

August 1
    Thanks Ben, we were there last year in Siblu Les Charmettes and absolutely loved it. Thanks for the tip re the beach, not sure if that's the one we used to go to last summer, there was loads of parking by the road and you had to walk through the forest..didn't know there was a path under the road so will check that out for sure. Agree the zoo is brilliant, you get really close to the animals. Staying in L'Oree du Bois this year, hope it's good. Would love to go to Jean de Monts, heard it's lovely.

This is where I'm on about - https://goo.gl/maps/5rdIr It's about 3 minutes further along the road from La Palmyre Zoo. We used to go to the beaches where you trek up through the high sand dunes to reach the beach (the other side of La Palmyre) until we discovered the beaches down by the zoo. Easy parking and no treking up hills required :D

Ben

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well I think you deserve a free ticket from LDL! Have a great holiday, and when you see a bargain for next year, let us all know!

You know, I wonder how this season actually worked out for LD. Rock bottom prices to start with and then the early season cancellations, refunds, re-bookings at the same price for more expensive sailings, refunds and compensation for cabin over-booking. I wish them well but I'd say they will be taking a long hard look at it and thinking about next year.

Does anyone know how the Rosslare-Gijon or St Nazaire-Gijon bookings have been?

August 8
    First Up wrote: »
    Oh I dunno! The extra competition might do something for the fares, even if the LD (or Stena) ships are not my cup of tea.

Each to his own and enjoy - you deserve it!

This is hilarious. I'm interested First up, where are you staying in France when you arrive?

I genuinely couldnt care less how I get there, but the 600 odd quid that I have saved (probably more with my dates) has been nicely invested in a 6 bedroom villa with a pool, tennis courts and 30 hectares of land. Instead of having say 2 grand to spend, we had a little more. It should be fun!

This is hilarious. I'm interested First up, where are you staying in France when you arrive?

I genuinely couldnt care less how I get there, but the 600 odd quid that I have saved (probably more with my dates) has been nicely invested in a 6 bedroom villa with a pool, tennis courts and 30 hectares of land. Instead of having say 2 grand to spend, we had a little more. It should be fun!

Sounds nice - I'm happy for you.
    I don't have immediate plans to travel but when I do I'll be sure to let you know.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Excellent thread btw.

Just returned from our first French camping family holiday and we loved it.

so when I came across this thread and see the potential to do it again (at a cheaper price) well hey, thats the best of boards.ie right there.

So my question is....

We sailed with Irish Ferries (Oscar Wilde) and the kids love it for the entertainment etc.
    Is this ferry of similar quality with regards to entertainment, comfort etc ?

anywhere to see images

again excellent thread with great contributions.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Excellent thread btw.

Just returned from our first French camping family holiday and we loved it.

so when I came across this thread and see the potential to do it again (at a cheaper price) well hey, thats the best of boards.ie right there.

So my question is....

We sailed with Irish Ferries (Oscar Wilde) and the kids love it for the entertainment etc.
    Is this ferry of similar quality with regards to entertainment, comfort etc ?

anywhere to see images

again excellent thread with great contributions.

I haven't used LD but the Stena (former Celtic Link) ship is said to be very similar and that one is far more basic than the OW with regard to lounges, comfort etc. I've not seen any reports of entertainment on LD (none on Stena) but you might be lucky enough to be on the same sailing as some of the posters here, who are great craic altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

You'd swear this thread was for a bargain alert on saucers of milk, with the amount of cattyness on show.

Advertisement