Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

July 11
    First Up wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to the bigger, more comfortable boat.
    the Scintu looks pretty basic internally
    the LD crossing to St Nazaire is a whopping seven hours longer than BF to Roscoff and from what I've seen of the facilities on the Scintu,.that might be a bit long.
    The OW has a fair range of amusements to keep the kids distracted and two big comfortable lounges. The Scintu still looks more like a ship for truckers to me. It could get a bit frayed.
    it certainly looks to be the "no frills" service .

still prefer the bigger (from a passenger viewpoint) boats - and shorter crossings.
    I think that is the drawback - it is 21+ hours from Rosslare to St Nazaire on a boat that looks to be designed more for long distance lorry drivers than families with small kids.
    I hope he's a good long sleeper. Ship docks at 7pm next day.
    "downgrade" to their "economy class" service. Booked the OW instead

I think we got the idea now:
    1) you love the oscar wilde
    2) you think that we're all going to die of
    a)boredom
    b)seasickness
    c)starve to death
    from lack of facilities aboard the scintu.

This is bargain alerts, and this was the best bargain alert ever on here I saved over a thousand euro on my trip, other save similar amounts. Lots of us would not be going on a foreign holiday only for this bargain alert.

So you can stop driving it home now. Theres a forum over here where you'll be welcome: http://www.irish-ferries-enthusiasts.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

/\ you left out SCURVY in that list..........lol ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    That would suck with kids ;) ours docks at 10:) we are going via Celtic link .

I am hoping that it will be better than having the kids in the car for a 5 hr motorway drive which is not exactly relaxing either

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

moodrater wrote: »
    I think we got the idea now:
    1) you love the oscar wilde
    2) you think that we're all going to die of
    a)boredom
    b)seasickness
    c)starve to death
    from lack of facilities aboard the scintu.

This is bargain alerts, and this was the best bargain alert ever on here I saved over a thousand euro on my trip, other save similar amounts. Lots of us would not be going on a foreign holiday only for this bargain alert.

So you can stop driving it home now. Theres a forum over here where you'll be welcome: http://www.irish-ferries-enthusiasts.com

I forgot to mention that the OW is pretty stable in rough seas as well. (I like the Pont Aven too.)

There is more to a bargain than price. I think the folk who got in early on the LD offer got a great deal but after that, I'm not so sure. You tend to get what you pay for in this world.

Looking forward to some reports on the St Nazaire trip; then we'll be able to compare and contrast. To those who got a bargain - well done and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭J@yK@y

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That would suck with kids ;) ours docks at 10:) we are going via Celtic link .

Definitely a more friendly arrival time. The Brittany Ferries boat arrives in Roscoff at 7 am, which is just a bit too early!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just booked brittany ferries from cork -roscoff, pont aven is the ship i think ,it has a pool so the kids are more excited about the boat than anything else:D

J@yK@y wrote: »

a grand looking vessel, in and out ....hope the beer is good on her ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 george33

Some of those 1930s built Panamanian registered ships can be quite safe and often reach their intended destination. Also, Algerian sailors have a reputation for being very courteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Just booked brittany ferries from cork -roscoff, pont aven is the ship i think ,it has a pool so the kids are more excited about the boat than anything else:D

Beautiful ship, you really can't go wrong on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    The Pont Aven is a beautiful ship and if money were no object it's the one I'd use all the time. The pool however is tiny and I've never seen anyone in it, do people actually use it? If memory serves it's overlooked by the bar area which wouldn't entice me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

redmissb wrote: »
    The Pont Aven is a beautiful ship and if money were no object it's the one I'd use all the time. The pool however is tiny and I've never seen anyone in it, do people actually use it? If memory serves it's overlooked by the bar area which wouldn't entice me!

The only reason we are going on it is because the wife got a half price deal on it ( she is a travel agent):)

redmissb wrote: »

The pool is OK for kids - weather permitting - but not really a place to lie out.
    Lovely ship and the shortest crossing available. I was sorry to see that the wine shop right by the port (Roscoff Wine Seller) seems to have closed. It was the best place to browse and the (English) owners were real enthusiasts and had a great range. There's lots of other places but mostly of the booze cruise variety.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    The only reason we are going on it is because the wife got a half price deal on it ( she is a travel agent):)

Now THAT'S a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

Hard to understand why you think that. Spacious, comfortable, excellent restaurant, choice of bars, cinema and entertainment. Not sure what else you want - a pool and diving board maybe?

You forgot shabby and grotty...
    Ok so it has more facilities than the boat from Dublin (can't think of it's name atm) but I like clean and new also. The facilities don't bother me too much as I don't have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    Now THAT'S a bargain!

Damn right! I'm jealous:D

MelachiT wrote: »
    You forgot shabby and grotty...
    Ok so it has more facilities than the boat from Dublin (can't think of it's name atm) but I like clean and new also. The facilities don't bother me too much as I don't have kids.

I have reasonably high standards and have never found it either shabby or grotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

I have reasonably high standards and have never found it either shabby or grotty.

Maybe we were just unlucky with the cabins we got. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

August 1
    frash wrote: »
    I'm July too - the 18th

Thanks for all the tips above

No worries. Actually only other thing I thought of was that it can be really handy to bring extra pillows or failing that, a very big soft toy, to put outside your child on the bunk to stop them falling out.:p

Our two have very big teddies that they always sleep with and travel everywhere with us and they do the job perfectly.

MelachiT wrote: »
    Maybe we were just unlucky with the cabins we got. :(

No you weren't unlucky, the OW is unfortunately gone to the dogs now, every cabin ive been in has been horrible, from 4 star to 2 star. They really should do something about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

July 4
    Wally Runs wrote: »
    Let me ease your worries there;
    1. There is a Decathlon in Saint Nazaire, very close to the ferry.
    2. The bridge in Saint Nazaire is even more impressive than at Nantes and you get to go under it too in the ferry!

Thanks Wally, but my gang are expert shoppers in Decathlon and they've been to most of them in that area but the one in Betton is a full day job for them it's massive !!
    Visa will vouch for that :D

billie1b wrote: »
    No you weren't unlucky, the OW is unfortunately gone to the dogs now, every cabin ive been in has been horrible, from 4 star to 2 star. They really should do something about it

And I haven't had a bad one in the last dozen or more crossings, so either we have all been amazingly lucky/unlucky or we have drastically different expectations.
    I find 3 star best value. 4 star not worth the extra.

And I haven't had a bad one in the last dozen or more crossings, so either we have all been amazingly lucky/unlucky or we have drastically different expectations.
    I find 3 star best value. 4 star not worth the extra.

Yeah I agree, 3 star would be the best, any lower and the look and smell really deteriorates in the cabins and passage ways, 4 star is a total waste

billie1b wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, 3 star would be the best, any lower and the look and smell really deteriorates in the cabins and passage ways, 4 star is a total waste

Wouldn't say total waste, just not worth the extra. Don't know when or who you shared the cabin area with but we haven't had an unpleasant experience in any class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

July 11
    We've been on the Oscar Wilde in pretty rough conditions and it handles very well.
    I forgot to mention that the OW is pretty stable in rough seas as well.

Eh no you didn't but I get the impression that you get some kind of satisfaction from repeating yourself. I'm sure you'll regale all aboard the Oscar Wilde with your golf stories over a double brandy. "Go easy though; a few hundred kids with cabin fever won't be much fun with a hangover!"

First up works for Irish Ferries.

(its obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

MidlandsM wrote: »

(its obvious)
    can he give me a discount:D

MidlandsM wrote: »

(its obvious)

Most definitely, I wouldn't defend my kids as much, I think the problem is that he thinks its a posh ship but just can't face the reality its steerage just like the others

moodrater wrote: »
    Eh no you didn't but I get the impression that you get some kind of satisfaction from repeating yourself. I'm sure you'll regale all aboard the Oscar Wilde with your golf stories over a double brandy. "Go easy though; a few hundred kids with cabin fever won't be much fun with a hangover!"

By all means quote selected sentences out of context if it makes you feel better. Some of us (me anyway) are just having an adult conversation and sharing opinions and experiences. I've been going to France by ferry, landbridge and chunnel for twenty odd years and at this stage I'm reasonably clear about what I know and what suits.
    If you feel threatened by that - sorry for your problems but get out of my face s'il vous plait.

• Advertisement

Some of us (me anyway) are just having an adult conversation and sharing opinions and experiences. I've been going to France by ferry, landbridge and chunnel for twenty odd years and at this stage I'm reasonably clear about what I know and what suits.
    If you feel threatened by that - sorry for your problems but get out of my face s'il vous plait.

but why do you repeat yourself over and over, and ram your opinion and experience down everyones throats here with you constant repitition of how wonderful IF is, and how low rent LD is (as you deem it) ?

You come across as either a shill or just a fool.

Advertisement