Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

thirdtime wrote: »
    Is he was that injured he wouldn't have fought

That's up to him not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Yeah, not as if it's a once in a life time oppertuninity.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What a ridiculous statement. I'd say most fighters are carrying an injury going into most fights

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thirdtime

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement. I'd say most fighters are carrying an injury going into most fights

So to my original question how good is Fields??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Good enough to be an Irish champ and a feared fighter. Time will only tell how he gets on in the US

• Advertisement

Good enough, he is also like cathal fighting a weight class above himself ( should be in the division cathal is competing in tuf) Doen't have the sheer strength that cathal has (not many do) so won't rely on over powering his oppenent like cathal did in his fight. Expect him to use his range, using a **** load of kicks to destroy an oppenents leg and take advantage of it. If he wins his fights it will imo be on points. either way he will get a shot in the ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Good enough, he is also like cathal fighting a weight class above himself ( should be in the division cathal is competing in tuf)

Why is he in LHW? Did all the MW spots get filled before him so he tried his luck up a weight class? or something like that.

Why is he in LHW? Did all the MW spots get filled before him so he tried his luck up a weight class? or something like that.

It's hard to make weight multiple times over the course of a few weeks which is what you have to do if you fight on the ultimate fighter and end up fighting multiple times. Also, it can be a matter of slots too, often times fighters must fight at a higher weight class, for example Lima fights at WW, but needs to jump up to MW in order to compete at this TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Been a very boring and season with all fairly poor fights so far. Only interest I have keeping me watching is the Irish lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If the Irish lads weren't in this season's TUF I'd be giving up after this episode. Pretty dreadful stuff in fairness.

"Oh my god, Team Penn are eating sweets on Halloween. Grrr"

That fight must be embarrassing for Penn's guy. Zero takedown defence against a guy who has been training for 7 months or so??

Non entity of an episode really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Lol, that was an absolute clusterfcuk. "Circle the guy who you think won"??? Fcuking hell.

Also, Mazagatti deducting the point was a disgrace.

Funny episode!

****ing hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Haha when Mazgatti said he must announce again, I thought he had announced wrong winner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

That lived up to the hype! WTF was going on, between mazagatti's stupid deduction to the even worse judging. Glad Zapatta won though as your man was awful, way too many wrestlers winning doing feck all damage this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mazagatti is such a bad referee but how they came to the conclusion that Zapata won sudden death is hilarious! :pac:

Zapata won the fight overall in my opinion and there shouldn't have even been a second round, Ian won the grappling but done absolutely nothing with it just laid there it was horrible to watch.

darced wrote: »

Any professional should of forced the fight to be stopped after 15 mins of being on someones back tbh

Bwahaha. What the hell was that judging? In one way I agree with the point deduction as Zapata was warned countless times to stop grabbing the fence/watch the downward elbows.

Ok, it was a wrong decision when the point was taken because he was coming in at an angle but how Zapata even won that fight with the point deduction is mental.

I'm not usually a fan of fighters who lay on top of somebody for long periods of the fight but Stephens dominated him there and I'm amazed it even went to a third round tbh.

In the eyes of the judges I thought scoring is based on control so in that regard, Stephens was in control and gets points and so Zapata was defending for large parts and shouldn't be given any points only until the very end of the fight when he was in top position and landing clean shots. Even then both rounds in my eyes anyway were 10-9 to Stephens.

For a minute I thought Mazagatti had announced the wrong fighter at the end. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Fair point and 99% of the time I would agree but in fairness, it became a stalemate on the ground when Stephens couldn't push the advantage after taking Zapata's back. Zapata was the only one doing any sort of damage at all. IMO he took both rounds easily.

As for the decision, the nature at which they arrived at it is not that controversial to me either. In any other fight it would have been a draw but this is TUF so a draw is not an option. As far as I'm concerned, justice was done.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Makes no difference he was in a dominant position throughout and it is incredibly hard to finish a decent pro from the back or even maintain the position,it was a ridiculous decision.

It's only a dominant position if you capitalise on it, which he didn't in any way. He was floundering throughout. Unable to translate position to any sort of decent striking or a submission attempt.

Worse still he wasn't able to defend even the tamest of strikes without losing position. Unbelievable to me that this guy was first pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

They were both just terrible. How come the fights into the house are always the best ones and then the fighters look so so poor once on the show.

adamski8 wrote: »
    They were both just terrible. How come the fights into the house are always the best ones and then the fighters look so so poor once on the show.

Playing it cautious I'd say. They seem content to grind their opponents out and ensure an easy passage into the finals with little damage taken.

Very poor fights this season anyway.

I agreed that the fight should go to a third round, the judges point was a joke too and I think due to the fight being a majority draw the circling a name thing was actually a good way of doing it. If we had gone by Dana's logic, the minority judge's rule would have given Stephens the fight. When have we ever seen a minority decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Was delighted with decision however nonsensical it was with point deduction. Zapata deserved it. Your man obviously only trained to get into dominant positions and not to actually submit the opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Haha great episode and it absolutely flew, felt like 20 minutes where the last episode felt like 2 hours. Beaming zapata won that even though it shoulda kinda went to a 4th round but tuf rules an all I spose.

Stephens said he had zapatas back for 12 minutes like it was a brag. Yeah he had control but did f×ck all with it. Does he expect to get into the ufc and hug his way to a ufc belt? He got a nice slam tho.

Did dana not stay for the 3rd round :o

Human blanket comment was funny though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Holy sh*t!!!!

I thought the big mess was the point deduction (which was warranted IMO) but when I heard the decision I was literally shocked! Unreal.

Great TV :D

• Advertisement

He never did damage and spent all his time holding his opponent down and never came close to a submission.

It comes down to how people like to score things. For example, mount is considered a dominant position because the likelihood of doing damage there is higher than a less dominant position. That doesn't necessarily mean damage will be done from there, though.

Advertisement