Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looks similar alright Maq, though would reckon the pressure gradient at 500 mb would be considerably less tight in Friday's chart between north Atlantic & Europe (at least from 'eyeball' look over) though surface pressure gradient looks fairly equal alright.

The met have a nice, detailed summary of those Jan '74 storms on their site. Love the rough 'n' readiness of its presentation. No frills, just pure, unostentatious analysis complete with scribbles.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Jan1974_Storm.PDF

Gusts > 70 kt seems to have occurred widely over the country. A long lasting storm as well it seems.

Yes, the old Met reports are great! I wonder if some of those gusts would have been from deep convection. Would you expect 850mb winds to get down to the surface at times in this kind of setup?
    aboyro wrote: »
    what's the measurement on that scale???

m/s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yes, the old Met reports are great! I wonder if some of those gusts would have been from deep convection. Would you expect 850mb winds to get down to the surface at times in this kind of setup?

Wouldn't be quite sure of that Maq. Just going by the CFS analysis charts, it does look like the strongest of the winds may have occurred in the warm sector of the system, though no doubt heavy post frontal showers may have given some strong gusts, initially at least.

1974011206_5.gif

map from here (great site with 6hr analysis charts going back to the late 19th century) http://www.wetter3.de/Archiv/

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It looks very bad in Fridays low......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jirafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

jirafa wrote: »

There's an actual place called "Embarrass" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yep cuz in French it means logjam or something similar.

There's also a place in Pennsylvania called Intercourse and it's in Amish country so I imagine there is less graffiti there than if it was anywhere else.

Meanwhile, in SK there's a place called Biggar. Their welcome sign says New York is Big but this is Biggar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

For the morning that we have just outside Athlone there's a place called Bethlehem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Yep cuz in French it means logjam or something similar.

There's also a place in Pennsylvania called Intercourse and it's in Amish country so I imagine there is less graffiti there than if it was anywhere else.

Meanwhile, in SK there's a place called Biggar. Their welcome sign says New York is Big but this is Biggar. :D

I guess who am I to talk, we have a place called "Muff" :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

0Z HIRLAM is very stormy...

There's no quit in any of these models and they all look fairly similar. I would say it's level 2 time again, keep the old level 3 sign handy just in case.

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas

Rtavn541.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Happy Christmas to all.
    The situation tomorrow night is now v serious indeed with hurricane winds on our doorstep.
    Theres pbly no time left for a downgrade and yes indeed it looks a bit of a cry wolf situation.
    A red alert will be issued by Met Eireann before the day is out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

A Happy Christmas to all here. Nice day ahead. Real chance of stormy weather tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Merry xmas everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

A very happy, exciting and safe Christmas to all weather buffs!xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Happy Christmas Everyone!

Santa, put down that egg nog and get moving, North America is waiting. And you've got a 300 mph headwind so maybe go the other way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

um, did mother nature just decide to give us a break for christmas day? absolute calm here in cork & then tomorrow we shall b blown away again.

merry christmas to everybody :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

big turnaround here. worst frost i've seen so far this winter after armageddon yesterday:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Merry Christmas to MT and all the other guy's who make weather in Ireland enjoyable. ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Happy Christmas to everyone on one of my favourite forums! Hope Santa arrived wherever you are! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭greenpilot

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Merry Christmas to MT and all the other guy's who make weather in Ireland enjoyable. ...

Who's the other guys? Jesus and Gerry? Lol.

Stormy morning Friday.

Say MetO will get message out tonight, looks like a widespread gale. Widespread gusts to 70mph.

13122706_2506.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Stormy morning Friday.

Say MetO will get message out tonight, looks like a widespread gale. Widespread gusts to 70mph.

13122706_2506.gif

Selfish question but does it improve in the afternoon ? And what direction will winds be? Presumably a straight westerly is best to minimize dublin airport disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for the whole country

Becoming very windy or stormy again during the evening of St. Stephen's Day, continuing overnight and for much of Friday.

Southeast winds, becoming southwest during the evening, will increase to 55-75 km/h, with gusts of 90 to 120 km/h, and up to 130 km/hr in some coastal areas, leading to further disruption and possible damage.
    Issued:
    Wednesday 25 December 2013 09:00
    Valid:
    Thursday 26 December 2013 17:00 to Friday 27 December 2013 15:00

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Stormy morning Friday.

Perfect for me to try out one of my presents from Santa http://vaavud.com/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

Regarding the leopardstown meeting from 26-29, would Saturday be the best of the 4 days going by the forecasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

An orange alert is about right for the moment
    As we saw from the last storm, things can and do change so a red would be left until maybe tomorrow morning if warranted at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Ho Ho Ho, Christmas Morning and I've enjoyed the Panto on this thread catching up this am.

That storm was nothin,
    Oh no it wasn't!!
    Oh! Yes it was!

Look out behind you, it's coming.

Have a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Happy christmas everyone:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement