Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use multiple turning lanes

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I saw in the independent yesterday that Galway is really low in the 'penalty points given per motorist' league tables.

Is it any wonder when we have practically invisible traffic policing in this city.

I've seen cars perform illegal u-turns IN FRONT OF a Garda car and the the driver wasn't even reprimanded.

Although it doesn't help when I see Gardai flout the rules so often themselves (indicating is only for civilians it would seem)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Iwannahurl wrote: »

It would be great if the local authority had the powers to install speed cameras, with the revenue going directly to the city for the provision of services such as road maintenance and the development of infrastructure such as intelligent traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, decent cycle lanes etc.

Revenue :pac: I think you mean the eventual debt in order to maintain, run and enforce such monitoring systems...whether they'd even be able to pay for themselves initially is quite questionable. Probably not a hypothetical talking point worth getting into though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I saw in the independent yesterday that Galway is really low in the 'penalty points given per motorist' league tables.

Is it any wonder when we have practically invisible traffic policing in this city.

I've seen cars perform illegal u-turns IN FRONT OF a Garda car and the the driver wasn't even reprimanded.

Although it doesn't help when I see Gardai flout the rules so often themselves (indicating is only for civilians it would seem)

It seems that you have to try quite hard in this city to get done for anything other than Motor Tax.

I was in Salthill twice on November 13, before and then after lunch. My attention was drawn to a car parked against the flow of traffic on the right-hand side of the raised median opposite Bank of Ireland. It was there for perhaps two hours.

In the afternoon, amid the usual parking free-for-all, a squad car arrived, did a u-turn and pulled up here beside the post office (straddling the entrance to Beach Avenue, opposite Lenaboy Gardens, marked with the blue arrow below).

The Garda in the passenger seat got out and entered the post office, to do business of some sort. On the way there, while in the area, and on their way back to the station presumably, the two Garda officers passed by numerous vehicles parked in a state of blatant abandonmentness, including the 'contraflow' example that first caught my eye. The offending motorists were obstructing disabled parking bays, bus stops, footpaths, pedestrian crossings and junctions. I reckon there were at least 20 such vehicles within a 200 metre radius, ie the standard casual anarchy for this area. Drivers came and went and parked where they pleased in full view, their demeanour apparently one of languid insouciance. All this in just one small area over a period of only ten minutes. (Confirmatory photos -- of the vehicles, not the chilled-out punters -- available on request :cool:)

284418.jpg

284419.jpg

284420.jpg

Revenue :pac: I think you mean the eventual debt in order to maintain, run and enforce such monitoring systems...whether they'd even be able to pay for themselves initially is quite questionable. Probably not a hypothetical talking point worth getting into though ;)

I thought speed cameras paid for themselves, with some spending money left over. The fines motivate motorists to slow down, and the revenue motivates governments to roll out speed surveillance measures.

http://www.thejournal.ie/new-speed-cameras-collect-e10million-in-fines-350307-Feb2012/

http://smh.drive.com.au/top-speed-cameras-still-make-a-fast-buck-20110727-1i0de.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

blatant abandonmentness

I like this! :D

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I thought speed cameras paid for themselves, with some spending money left over. The fines motivate motorists to slow down, and the revenue motivates governments to roll out speed surveillance measures.

http://www.thejournal.ie/new-speed-cameras-collect-e10million-in-fines-350307-Feb2012/

http://smh.drive.com.au/top-speed-cameras-still-make-a-fast-buck-20110727-1i0de.html

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/swindon-has-uk%E2%80%99s-safest-roads-after-scrapping-speed-cameras-20120326.html

In a city the size of galway we'd need some fairly severe fines for them to pay for themselves in the long run, motorists would quickly learn where the cameras are and avoid those areas - the more cameras you put in place the higher the running cost will be so they won't be everywhere.

Like I said, this hypothetical isn't worth the effort, not on my part at least.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/swindon-has-uk%E2%80%99s-safest-roads-after-scrapping-speed-cameras-20120326.html

In a city the size of galway we'd need some fairly severe fines for them to pay for themselves in the long run, motorists would quickly learn where the cameras are and avoid those areas - the more cameras you put in place the higher the running cost will be so they won't be everywhere.

Like I said, this hypothetical isn't worth the effort, not on my part at least.

More money may be ploughed into education campaigns and the police have promised to continue to use mobile cameras to catch speeding motorists.

Swindon's decision has been controversial. The Tory-controlled council says it used to spend around £250,000 a year out of its £320,000 road safety budget on the cameras.

It said the fines paid by errant drivers went straight to central government rather than being ploughed back into local schemes. It also argued that only 6% of accidents on the road were down to speed.

Opposition politicians have accused Swindon of "playing politics with people's lives" and the road safety charity Brake said it was "appalled".

On the Oxford Road in Swindon today, most people seemed sceptical of the plan.

Maureen Mulvey, who was walking along the A road (speed limit 30mph) with her three-year-old granddaughter Kaetlyn, said: "This road is so busy. I think the cameras are a good thing. We could do with more, really. When the road is quiet people bomb along and the cameras do slow them down a bit. It's all about money, isn't it? It's always about money."

Lorraine Gould was trying to cross the road with four of her children, three of them on bicycles. "It's a worry that the cameras are going. I don't think those signs that just flash up your speed work. At least the cameras make the motorists think."

One of the few scrapping supporters was Steve, who was eating a burger in a souped-up saloon car in McDonald's car park. "I think it's a great idea. It means I won't have to put the anchor on when I go through there any more. It'll save my brakes. That's great."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul/31/swindon-scraps-speed-cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know what this thread is about now but it's not new junction lanes any more.

Today's lessons - stay in lane, and stay on topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement