Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE2... Its not Invictus, Its "Goodbye Bafana"

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

That explains it. I thought maybe the guard's son was going to grow up into Matt Damon. And Dennis Haysbert was going to... I don't know... morph into Morgan Freeman. I also thought If I'd known there was so little rugby in it I would have gone to see it in the cinema.

duuuh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Who the fock is Adam West?!

The Mayor of Quahog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

Oink wrote: »
    I thought maybe the guard's son was going to grow up into Matt Damon. And Dennis Haysbert was going to... I don't know... morph into Morgan Freeman.

duuuh.

I Hadn't seen either film before and that's exactly what I was waiting for.:o

It was nearly an hour into the film before I started to wonder How long the film was if Matt Damon or Morgan Freeman hadn't shown up yet.

Had a quick look on the interweb about James Gregory. I find it hard to believe the story that he was so good to Mandela. A lot of Mandela's family and friends also dismiss it.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Watched the movie and in fairness thought it was better than Invictus. Was good to see it from the prison guards viewpoint.

scotchy wrote: »

It was nearly an hour into the film before I started to wonder How long the film was if Matt Damon or Morgan Freeman hadn't shown up yet.

Had a quick look on the interweb about James Gregory. I find it hard to believe the story that he was so good to Mandela. A lot of Mandela's family and friends also dismiss it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/may/20/nelsonmandela

"But many, including Mandela, suggest Gregory's description of the friendship is at best highly exaggerated and in several incidents untrue. One writer close to Mandela says he said privately that Gregory 'hallucinated' some of the deep discussions and emotional encounters he described in the book."

Huh. Ok then. I'm looking forward to watching the end of it tonight as it's a good movie, even though it's a lot of poo-poo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Mandela wrote warmly of Gregory in at least three places. The film tones down any exaggeration that critics claim was in Gregory's book, on which the film is based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Did no-one see the opening credits that stated Goodbye Bafana or did RTE change that to Invictus as well?..

D-FENS wrote: »
    Did no-one see the opening credits that stated Goodbye Bafana or did RTE change that to Invictus as well?..

I saw it. I thought it was a "chapter" in the movie or something like that. Certainly not the title of the movie, which was "obviously" Invictus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Hey!
    C'mon now.

A mere 2,200people work there producing literally a couple of hours of TV content per day.

Mistakes can happen.

Now sit down & don't forget to pay your €160 RTE poll tax for next year!

Did anyone see The Week in Politics yesterday, where the unfailingly crass RTE played the music of Paul Simon (boycott breaker) at the end, over the closing images of Mandela?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This reminds me of my boss - he was in Paris in 1975 and decided to go to the cinema. So he went to the local multiplex (2 screens), which had the choice of either 'Jaws' or 'The Towering Inferno'.

He decides to see 'The Towering Inferno', so he pay his money, heads in and starts watching it.

About an hour into it, the skyscraper is on fire, burning people everywhere, and next second he hears the voice of someone else who is obviously Irish, and quite drunk, bellow out 'WHEN IS THE FU<KIN SHARK GOING TO COME INTO THIS!!!'.

• Advertisement

D-FENS wrote: »

The film started at 9pm, so I thought I'd catch the headlines on the news at 9 on RTE 1 while the credits were rolling.:o

Sean Cronin was Tweeting about this, he was watching it for an hour waiting for the rugby to start in it too.:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Thank You OP for clearing this up!

I too was wondering what was going on, I thought IMDB made a mistake as I was looking for the name of the cast and I couldn't get any results as to who played Mandela in his younger years, (As then I presumed the movie would progress through time and Morgan Freeman would play Mandela in his later years, as is the case with Invictus)

Pretty poor form from RTE, the film that was initially scheduled to play was Hotel Rwanda, but due to Mandela's death was changed to Invictus on the TV and Digital Guide listings, I guess somehow this fell through and RTE ended up broadcasting Goodbye Baffana, One thing that did annoy me and I am not entirely sure if RTE are at fault, was the lack of subtitles when people were speaking the Xhosa language, which did happen a fair bit throughout the movie, and is very important to the storyline!

Pretty enjoyable movie, some parts were glossed over very briefly, I'll look forward to seeing Invictus now.

They've got it right this time.....Invictus on RTE2 now :)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Gahhhhhh

Necro threads!!!!!

But you are correct ;)

Gahhhhhh

Necro threads!!!!!

But you are correct ;)

I've been waiting to resurrect my thread for nearly a year:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Good timing with the rugby match too.

I've been waiting to resurrect my thread for nearly a year:o

And on the day that Ireland beat South Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Matt Damon looks nothing like Mandela.

catallus wrote: »

MATT DAMON!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Nimr wrote: »
    Good timing with the rugby match too.

Love those kind of coincidences ; P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

catallus wrote: »

Its Morgan Freeman playing Mandela. Mat Damon is playing the Boks captain Pienaar

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Its Morgan Freeman playing Mandela. Mat Damon is playing the Boks captain Pienaar

Freeman looks nothing like Pienaar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Freeman looks nothing like Pienaar.

?? Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

We're 2/3rds of the way through this and we haven't seen anything about golf at all yet? Talk about a meandering exposition.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ruan Pienaar? Sure, he's injured :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

DellyBelly wrote: »

Whoosh

Advertisement