Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping after a hair cut

Options
  • 07-12-2013 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

I normally go to a local barbers which is €9 and pay a tenner so tip €1. I hate tipping a I never know how much is expect/should be given. I am going to The Grooming Room and the haricut is €35 (Want to get a restyle).

How much would people tip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Tow

Zero

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Would depend on how good they are and how friendly they are. If you want to tip then 10-15% would be reasonable but I wouldn't see it as an obligation. I am the same in that my barber is €9 and I give him €10. However if he was €10 I don't think I would give him €11.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I normally go to a local barbers which is €9 and pay a tenner so tip €1. I hate tipping a I never know how much is expect/should be given. I am going to The Grooming Room and the haricut is €35 (Want to get a restyle).

Are you a man ? and if so, did you say you were going to get a restyle, and also, pay 35 for a haircut,:eek: and why would you tip someone for cutting your hair, do you tip the mechanic or the shop assistant when paying for services and goods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

€0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    . I am the same in that my barber is €9 and I give him €10. However if he was €10 I don't think I would give him €11.

I'd be the same. If it was €11 I wouldn't be rounding it to €12.

Looks like a big fat zero. Happy with that! Just wasn't sure what the story was with these fancy places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I tip €2 on a €10 cut

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pretty bald so i have my own clippers, but maybe once every 2 months or so i get a proper shave. The nearest place to where i've worked for the last 3 years a dry cut is 15 (city centre), the lady said " ah for you its only a tenner,there wasnt much to cut" :(:(:pac:

i normally tip 2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Glebee

Usually spend between €7 and €12 on a cut and always try to leave about €2 of a tip. Always feel a bit bad if I dont..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I always leave maybe €10 as a tip... but having said that I shave it myself:D

On a serious note, when I was more flush I'd get the full head shave and beard trim experience in a fantastic local barber shop complete with all the lotions and the shoulder rub. I'd tip generously after that kind of service. Maybe €5 on top of the charge. It was a couple of years since I've been though :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

35 is enough to paying in fairness so I would say nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I tend to stick with the same barber if they do a good enough job and are friendly, so I won't tip but continue to give them my custom.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I normally throw 2 quid....

I really enjoy the 20-30 mins of peace away from herself and the kids...bit of small talk maybe but again the peace and quiet is priceless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

mfceiling wrote: »
    I normally throw 2 quid....

I really enjoy the 20-30 mins of peace away from herself and the kids...bit of small talk maybe but again the peace and quiet is priceless.

Especially if shes rubs her knockers on your shoulders as she cuts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Vuzuggu wrote: »

You are mad to pay 35 euro for a 'restyle' in The Grooming Room.

If you are looking to spend a few quid and get a decent haircut head in The Butcher Barber just of Grafton St.(apt only and about 30 quid)

The Barber Room, another great option and only 20 quid just beside trinity and ask for Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Especially if shes rubs her knockers on your shoulders as she cuts :P

I don't think john the barber would be happy of me taking advantage of him like that!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

I use Ali's barbers on Aungier Street, He charges 12.50 so you throw him the 15. I only use him if I'm getting a style done.

If it's for a 3 all over I use me local, 8 quid so throw him the tenner. Went to his father now go to him. Great Craic in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

Zero, but if it bothers that much give €2.

€35 is steep in fairness , but if you can get a cut style that you like and it makes you feel better about your look go for it.

Im never happy with my haircuts . I've gotten so used to getting it cut short over the years I feel scruffy when it gets even slightly long . I'd get it cut every 2-3 and it always costs €12.

That's my 2 cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Haircut cost a tenner always give 5 tip and a 10 euro tip the last haircut before Xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

haircut costs a fiver in the barber beside the ha'penny bridge I go in when in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

billy2012 wrote: »
    You are mad to pay 35 euro for a 'restyle' in The Grooming Room.

If you are looking to spend a few quid and get a decent haircut head in The Butcher Barber just of Grafton St.(apt only and about 30 quid)

The Barber Room, another great option and only 20 quid just beside trinity and ask for Keith.

Went to the Barber room the other day, pretty sure I got Keith. Excellent cut and he actually asked what I wanted and then developed a cut based on that. Took his time with the cut and explained as he went. Excellent value for €19.

Still haven't tried Butcher barber but i'll prob stick with Barber rooms for a while. Gave up on Bedford stuy recently as I wasn't 100% happy with a few cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

First time in Bedford Stuy last Thursday and I was very happy with it. Sick of the hit and miss cuts I'd been getting in the Grafton Barbers. They've done a good job with the 'experience' in GB but at the end of the day, I'm going there for a haircut, not a ****ing beer.

I'll give them another spin in a couple of weeks and if I'm happy again then I'll stick with them. Decent price @ €16, though I did leave the barber the €20 as I was very happy with what he done.

Interested to hear the various opinions on the Butcher/Barber Room/Grooming Rooms nonetheless - and the Waldorf too if anyone has been.

Another point, and I'll qualify this as each to their own, but imo you just can't compare a €5 cut with a proper €20 cut if you're actually getting a 'haircut' and not a 3 all over etc. If you care about your hair, its worth the money to go to a proper place.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I always leave a small tip during the year and a generous tip at Xmas.

I am very happy to tip for a good haircut, attentiveness and friendly chat.

(But I am still looking for the ULTIMATE barber who can make my hair look truly amazing!) :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've been going to the same barber shop every 3-4 weeks for the last 3 years, and they charge me €10. And the 3 barbers that work there know that I'll be in frequently. I don't tip because: (a) I give them very regular custom; (b) it's €10 so I never have suitable change for a tip; and (c) if I start tipping, I feel that I will always have to tip, or else they'll start wondering why I have stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

whupdedo wrote: »
    Are you a man ? and if so, did you say you were going to get a restyle, and also, pay 35 for a haircut,:eek: and why would you tip someone for cutting your hair, do you tip the mechanic or the shop assistant when paying for services and goods

Really hate this argument EVERY time someone talks about tipping.

if people want to pay extra because they enjoyed a service or have spare cash …so what, its their money and their prerogative where they spend their money.

I sometimes tip, in restaurants, cafe's etc, and have often told the mechanic to keep onto the change - buy himself a pint (it might be a few euro but it makes a difference when you call them at 10pm and your car is broken down …no excuses they will come out to you and they are polite when doing so) - If people are generous enough to tip …let them !!

if people do not want to pay extra on top of the already high prices ….then thats their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cut costs €15 so usually tip €2 on top

Unfortunately however the traffic chaos that is the few weeks coming up to Christmas meant I had to settle for the local barber this month. Cut is nowhere near as good and ridiculous waiting times but I wasn't willing to spend half the day on it so it'll have to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I get a 1 all round and an erection. 2euro tip is money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I normally go to my local barbers and pay €12 a pop. I never tip. It never really crossed my mind. They have a big sign in the window advertising their price so I just kind of pay it.

While I understand that it's everyones choice if they want to tip, a trend can develop and it become a "done thing".

I've been busy as hell the past few weeks and just didn't have the time to get around to the barbers. Noticed a place was open late in town as I was going home the other night.

Went in for a cut. I didn't even bother looking at the price and was a little shocked when she asked for €20 ... it's not even that great a cut.

QUESTION:

At the end of this rather elongated haircut (normally takes 15 minutes, this took 30 minutes) she gave me a hot towel folded on a place. I had zero idea what to do with it. I just looked at it and said "Eh... Nah it's alright" and got up to pay.

What's that about? Am I supposed to sit there, post-haircut with that thing on my face?

I'm at a loss...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tugboats wrote: »
    I get a 1 all round and an erection. 2euro tip is money well spent
    Tugboats - Please read TGC forum charter before posting here again. Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The grooming rooms setup doesn't lend itself to tipping. I would usually tip 2e or so but never tip in there.

Advertisement