Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A woman's response/rant against "real men" posts on the internet

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

very insightful, yet so few are aware that sexism is a two-way street especially in their quest to excuse any kind of behaviour, no matter how appalling as "empowering" or cry victim and blame anything but themselves when something goes wrong

"In today's culture, a man's chief duty is to everyone else, while a woman's foremost duty is to herself. A woman is entitled to a good man, while a man must fight, jump through hoops, beg for and otherwise "earn" a good woman."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Interesting coming from a woman.

It seems to cover pretty well arguments that a lot of men have been making for quite a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I recall seeing a man holding a door open for a woman in the office and she said "Just because I am a woman dosent mean I can't open the door myself" He hit back " I'm not holding it because of your gender. I'm holding it open because of your age"
    1 nil

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Makes some great points alright. I'd say a lot of that is more applicable to the US. You certainly read more entitlement/I want it both ways and both in my favour type stuff coming from there. Far more men actively avoiding marriage because of their divorce setup and that sort of thing. Yea there can be some of that going on in Ireland, but not nearly to the same degree IMH.

The comment section was interesting. The commenter who spelled women as womyn. Jesus. Get a grip love.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

@Wibbs

I did always get a chivalric vibe off American Feminist movements. If you read between the lines, there's does seem to be a men protect the woman vibe.

She raises some good point. From an arguing point of view, I wish she didn't say the only have sex when I feel like it line. That really is waving a red flag to a bull and opening yourself to accusations of condoning rape.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    @Wibbs

I did always get a chivalric vibe off American Feminist movements. If you read between the lines, there's does seem to be a men protect the woman vibe.

She raises some good point. From an arguing point of view, I wish she didn't say the only have sex when I feel like it line. That really is waving a red flag to a bull and opening yourself to accusations of condoning rape.

How in the name of God could you possibly get accusations of condoning rape from that article:confused:

I didn't, and I wouldn't, get that from the article, but some people would.

Someone could make the argument that this sentence:
    Sex? Only if she feels like it.

Implies that a woman should have sex if she doesn't feel like it. And this would be argued back to male entitlement and, as it's one theory for rape, back to condoning rape.

Again, I do not believe the argument above. At all. But, I guarantee the above argument could be used to discredit the whole piece.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I didn't, and I wouldn't, get that from the article, but some people would.

Someone could make the argument that this sentence:

Implies that a woman should have sex if she doesn't feel like it. And this would be argued back to male entitlement and, as it's one theory for rape, back to condoning rape.

Again, I do not believe the argument above. At all. But, I guarantee the above argument could be used to discredit the whole piece.

Fair enough and when put like that, theirs always someone that will twist it i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Have to agree with this:
    If a woman bullies a man, she's fighting off her male oppressors. Good for her. If a man bullies a woman, lock him up. If a woman abandons her family, she probably wasn't happy at home. If a man abandons his family, he's a deadbeat. If a girl breaks a guy's heart, she deserved better anyway. If a guy breaks a girl's heart, he let a good thing go. If a girl want's out of the friend zone, she's following her heart. If a guy wants out of the friend zone, he's got ulterior motives.

and this says it all:
    In spite of the popular idea that women want to be equals, they also still want to be princesses. That is to say, they want the best that chivalry and equality have to offer with none of the responsibility to anyone but themselves. Every woman hopes and expects to be treated like a princess by her man, but none of them want to treat their man like a king. In a world where women can own property, support themselves and otherwise live independently, they still quantify their relationships according to what the man can offer. Does he take you on nice dates? Did he buy you a big rock? Does he patiently wait out all your emotional tirades? Does he think you're beautiful all the time? Is he emotionally available? Is he a good father? Does he have a good job? And, most importantly, DOES HE EXPECT NOTHING IN RETURN?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I was always for equality....but that goes all across the board not bits and pieces that some choose to pick when they want or suits them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I was listening to RTE radio one afternoon this week (can't remember the show) to a long discussion of the plight of female convicts in Ireland.

There was a vox-pop type piece with interview bytes from several recidivist females.

They all openly stated that their reasons for repeat offending stemmed directly from their desire to remain in prison.

Every woman interviewed cited the prospect of free rent, private room (with private TV), free meals, free heating etc as their primary motivation for re-offending .

Now I'm no incarceration enthusiast and I certainly lean towards rehabilitation rather than punishment
    but what amazed me was the utter one-sided nature of the conversation that followed.

The presenter and his guests proceeded to wring their hands about the lack of support for these women and the failure of the state to provide adequately for them when they're released.

I couldn't help but laugh as I imagined the conversation they'd be having if the interviewees had been male. The rightous indignation that they'd be pouring over the prisoners and the prison system that makes things too easy on them.

Desperate and blatant gender inequality IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Interesting read all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I have to sya for the most part Irish women aren't that bad, but I remember once I hooked up with a girl and she actually came out with the line of " I have the pussy you have to do what I say" like I was a slave to sex. Some women honestly believe that men are walking penises with no cohearent thoughts of sex and your one had literally no clue as to why I told her to leave my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Lots of us women are aware of the double standard. It'd be nice if we didn't all get blamed for it, and if it were acknowledged that it's not always women who are responsible for it. This woman says absolutely nothing new or insightful, and it's not unusual coming from a woman. Loads of us women are very aware of it - try to work against it, but are constantly up against being shoved in with less aware women.
    py2006 wrote: »
    and this says it all:
    Says what "all"?

And yes, people (male or female) should have sex only when they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭iptba

and this says it all:
    In spite of the popular idea that women want to be equals, they also still want to be princesses. That is to say, they want the best that chivalry and equality have to offer with none of the responsibility to anyone but themselves. Every woman hopes and expects to be treated like a princess by her man, but none of them want to treat their man like a king. In a world where women can own property, support themselves and otherwise live independently, they still quantify their relationships according to what the man can offer. Does he take you on nice dates? Did he buy you a big rock? Does he patiently wait out all your emotional tirades? Does he think you're beautiful all the time? Is he emotionally available? Is he a good father? Does he have a good job? And, most importantly, DOES HE EXPECT NOTHING IN RETURN?
    One thing I wonder about is the division of labour in the home. It seems ok for a woman to ask her male partner to do various jobs around the house. What chores/tasks are men allowed ask their female partner to do for them? There seems to be an attitude promoted by some that men shouldn't ask for things, or certainly some things. So that a woman would be entitled to react angrily if they were asked to do something (and given one might not know what they would react to, a man might then be wary of ever asking).

iptba wrote: »
    One thing I wonder about is the division of labour in the home. It seems ok for a woman to ask her male partner to do various jobs around the house. What chores/tasks are men allowed ask their female partner to do for them? There seems to be an attitude promoted by some that men shouldn't ask for things, or certainly some things.

I haven't really experienced a division of labour. To me once you clean up after yourself everybody is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭iptba

I haven't really experienced a division of labour. To me once you clean up after yourself everybody is happy.
    So women do the same amount of DIY as men, for example? That's not my impression in lots of houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Wibbs wrote: »
    Makes some great points alright. I'd say a lot of that is more applicable to the US. You certainly read more entitlement/I want it both ways and both in my favour type stuff coming from there. Far more men actively avoiding marriage because of their divorce setup and that sort of thing. Yea there can be some of that going on in Ireland, but not nearly to the same degree IMH.

The comment section was interesting. The commenter who spelled women as womyn. Jesus. Get a grip love.

Oh it happens here alright, just the other night a female colleague had a drunken go at me for being too soft/sensitive. Even though I was never in a situation that would make her think that, it was just something she perceived in me.

But the way she was speaking felt very much like an attack on my manliness, cos real men are hard and shouldn't display any softness.

Of course, when I happily asked her what she meant as I was genuinely interested in why she thought that, I got "See! You wouldn't be asking what I meant if you weren't sensitive!" in response. :rolleyes:

But you do agree "every" woman hopes and expects to be treated like a princess by her man, but none of them want to treat their man like a king.

• Advertisement

Says what "all"?

While your input is appreciated, please don't try to belittle the very real experiences of a lot of men. For far too long men have been perceived as the 'bad' gender in all avenues of life. Its rare we are allowed to point the finger in the other direction and there are some genuine reasons to do so and this forum allows is the discuss some of those.

I'm delighted you are not one of these women. :)

While your input is appreciated, please don't try to belittle the very real experiences of a lot of men. For far too long men have been perceived as the 'bad' gender in all avenues of life.
    Why can't this very valid issue be discussed without all the hostility towards women and the "Every woman" stuff?

By the way, I am not belittling the experiences of men - I'm well aware of the crap men can have to deal with purely just for being men. This woman's approach is wrong though, IMO - it's very provocative in order to stir. Let alone the staggering irony of her being a woman and saying no woman wants to treat her man like a king in return for him treating her like a princess (so she applies that to herself?) and it's out of order for a woman to have sex only when she feels like it... what the actual fuk...? :confused: Again, is she applying this to herself too? Or is it just all other women? I suspect the latter.

But you do agree "every" woman hopes and expects to be treated like a princess by her man, but none of them want to treat their man like a king.

To a certain extent yes. Some are obviously far worse than others.

EDIT: Ok I was drunk when posting that. Ok the King treatment is way out there but yes there are a lot of women out there that expect a lot of 'gentlemanly' behaviour from men.

Why can't this very valid issue be discussed without all the hostility towards women and the "Every woman" stuff?

Meh, I don't reckon there's hostility towards women in this thread. People talking about serious issues, with seriously dedicated advocates on both sides, get a little bit riled up and snarky. As a man, you do have to be careful and not be misconstrued as a misogynist. But it does seem to be going that way for women as well.

I have to admit, I hope you complain about 'hostility towards men' when you see it?

Meh, I don't reckon there's hostility towards women in this thread.
    Not even a person saying no woman wants to treat her man like a king in return for him treating her like a princess despite never knowing all women?
    I have to admit, I hope you complain about 'hostility towards men' when you see it?
    I absolutely do. And I'm not sure what led to you asking the question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Why is it ok for a woman to give a man a present of toolbox, spanner set etc. for Christmas but if he gives her a nice new iron and ironing board he is the worst in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

@Wibbs

6 posts in and we already have men being associated with rape.

I'm not sure women need to be extreme feminists any more with lads coming to these conclusions.

Morf wrote: »
    6 posts in and we already have men being associated with rape.

I'm not sure women need to be extreme feminists any more with lads coming to these conclusions.
    You're only reading what you want to read. The sentence, written by a woman, "Women only have sex when they feel like it" is questionable - and GalwayGuy merely pointed that out, adding that he wouldn't read condoning of rape into it, but it's a sentence that doesn't do the writer any favours.

And he's right. It's an utterly bizarre thing to say that it's unreasonable for anyone, male or female, to have sex only when they feel like it...
    Does she mean people should have sex even when they don't feel like it? Because that's what she seems to be saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gentleman Octopus

It's an utterly bizarre thing to say that it's unreasonable for anyone, male or female, to have sex only when they feel like it...
    Does she mean people should have sex even when they don't feel like it? Because that's what she seems to be saying.

I think she means between people within a relationship, rather than after meeting someone on a night out or something like that.
    I will have sex with my girlfriend when she wants to but I'm not really in the mood (not every time of course) and vice versa. Compromise is an importantaspect of a relationship and I think that's one of the points she was trying to make, the women she was referring to seem so entitled to take but are unwilling to give back in return.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to sya for the most part Irish women aren't that bad, but I remember once I hooked up with a girl and she actually came out with the line of " I have the pussy you have to do what I say" like I was a slave to sex. Some women honestly believe that men are walking penises with no cohearent thoughts of sex and your one had literally no clue as to why I told her to leave my house
    IME that mindset to one degree or other is common enough among some women, but usually only with younger women is it that overt(older, if so inclined tends to do the sex as a subtle bargaining tool dealio).

Why? Well an awful lot of it is down to young men*awaits flames*. These women feel entitled because they've seen the effect in real terms, of young(usually) men jumping through hoops to get into their knickers. Men who will continue to jump through hoops even if they're not getting any sexual/romance stuff in return. The "friendzone" dudes. They're giving away support/favours for free as it were and even if it's only subconsciously some women see this and use this*. If the woman is above average in looks among her peers she'll see this effect even more. Caveat. this is only a subsection of women, just like boorish gobshytes are a subsection of men. It's most certainly not all women. Not by a long shot. Plus they're easy to spot for the most part.

*I saw one sap get a call and drive all the way from Dublin to Cork to set up a TV sat dish thingie for this wan he had the unrequited hots for. And drove back that very day. She didn't even invite him to stay on the couch. No wonder she felt entitled. How I didn't lamp the head off him when I heard of this I'll never know.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement