Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance - would you accept it

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

206Girly wrote: »
    There is no difference in working tenants and rent allowance tenants.
    Actually, once the working tenants work, they have a good chance of paying the rent. RA tenants get screwed over by the government every so often (as it happened during 2013), with the government either not paying money to the RA tenant the odd month or lowering the amount that they'll pay, and because of this landlords don't want to take the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    They tried that for a long time and it cost an absolute fortune. Rent allowance is the cheaper option believe it or not as previously the councils were responsible for all sorts of maintenance in the houses aswell as rubbish collection, gardening, cleaning etc etc. Now they can get private LLs to do all of that stuff

Correction.

Now they get private LLs to take all the risk and losses. While at the same increasing the costs to the LL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

Girly206, does your child's father help out with living costs at all?
    If not, why not?
    Apologies if I missed that explanation in your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

Yes, they can ask. You can not answer though.
    Thats interesting. Any time we rented the LL just wanted to know if we were working. Once we said yes that was it, never asked how much we were earning, just a letter from employer confirming that we were working.

As for saying you are paying less rent to the cwo, it is either that or be homeless. There are no houses in my town for the upper limit set by cwo. If I dont top up my rent "off the books" then where am i suppose to live? Should myself, husband & 2 children become homeless rather than lie on a form. I absolutely hate being deceitful but i will be deceitful to put a roof over my childrens heads & im sure anyone else would do the very same. My children are my priority at the end of the day. It means that yes we have to put an extra 80 euro onto the 160 official amount we pay & that means we have 65 euro a week for food but at the end of a day we'd be worse if we were on the streets.
    If you go onto daft & put in cork county & see all property available to rent there 1027. Then tick the box for accepts rent allowance & price limit of 750 & there are 71!!!!! Out of 1027 properties to let in cork 71 will accept rent allowance. I see a massive issue with this ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 206Girly

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    Thats interesting. Any time we rented the LL just wanted to know if we were working. Once we said yes that was it, never asked how much we were earning, just a letter from employer confirming that we were working.

As for saying you are paying less rent to the cwo, it is either that or be homeless. There are no houses in my town for the upper limit set by cwo. If I dont top up my rent "off the books" then where am i suppose to live? Should myself, husband & 2 children become homeless rather than lie on a form. I absolutely hate being deceitful but i will be deceitful to put a roof over my childrens heads & im sure anyone else would do the very same. My children are my priority at the end of the day. It means that yes we have to put an extra 80 euro onto the 160 official amount we pay & that means we have 65 euro a week for food but at the end of a day we'd be worse if we were on the streets.
    If you go onto daft & put in cork county & see all property available to rent there 1027. Then tick the box for accepts rent allowance & price limit of 750 & there are 71!!!!! Out of 1027 properties to let in cork 71 will accept rent allowance. I see a massive issue with this ...

you should try dublin there are currently 4 that are 950 or less!! People haven't got a clue what it is like to be in this situation don't know where they expect we live?

Government know there is a problem they just do not care according to this 1.2% of Dublin properties to let are within the rent caps in Dublin

and our Tanaiste doesn't sound too bothered either...

• Advertisement

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    Girly206, does your child's father help out with living costs at all?
    If not, why not?
    Apologies if I missed that explanation in your posts

Yes we live together completely legit he doesn't work either he is in college too. Not all women with children on the dole are single parents :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Yes we live together completely legit he doesn't work either he is in college too. Not all women with children on the dole are single parents :mad:

I'm sorry but if the pair of you are in college and the state is supporting that life style that's reason alone for me not wanting to accept rent allowance. Why should I pay tax out for it just to come back to me in rent? Sorry to be harsh, I'm at college myself but I work PT and pay my mortgage.

While my Wife did her PhD I worked, now I'm doing my degree She's the main bread winner.

I started my course and my partner as we were very young loosing our jobs and didn't have experience to get work. Its called springboard and is only available for long term unemployed. Its either that or stay on the social welfare longer so I know what I would prefer. I didn't ask my job to let me go, and I didn't ask for this economic disaster. I was just a normal 19 year old working in a good job worked from the age of 15 so I don't care what you think. You do not know me or what my life is like? Nor should you care. If you lost your job tomorrow and your wife and there was no work available, What would you do? Or if this was to happen to your kids? Would you not encourage them to better their lives instead of living a life on social welfare? I suppose you could afford to pay their rent for them? And pay their college fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I started my course and my partner as we were very young loosing our jobs and didn't have experience to get work. Its called springboard and is only available for long term unemployed. Its either that or stay on the social welfare longer so I know what I would prefer. I didn't ask my job to let me go, and I didn't ask for this economic disaster. I was just a normal 19 year old working in a good job worked from the age of 15 so I don't care what you think. You do not know me or what my life is like? Nor should you care. If you lost your job tomorrow and your wife and there was no work available, What would you do? Or if this was to happen to your kids? Would you not encourage them to better their lives instead of living a life on social welfare? I suppose you could afford to pay their rent for them? And pay their college fees?

Your education will stand to you, stay with it and best of luck.

Advertisement