Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WP Apps - don't ask, don't get [Threads Merged]

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭g0g

Buy a MiBand as a different solution and connect it? That's what I'm using at the moment.

Any pedometer app or phone function though will only be a rough estimate on distance unless you involve GPS I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

MJohnston wrote: »
    What WP device do you own?
    Lumia 520 on WP 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

joujoujou wrote: »
    Lumia 520 on WP 8.1.

Damn, was hoping you'd have a model with SensorCore functionality, which would have answered this question a lot more easily :(

Unregistered Users

Unfortunately. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

its built into the new Lumia 630 and similar AFAIK. I think its a feature of the chipset used in the hardware.
    The Nokia Lumia 630 comes with Nokia’s Sensorcore technology, which allows the phone to keep track of accelerometer readings even when the phone is sleeping.

imageMicrosoft today activated the Pedometer feature in their Bing Health and Fitness App, which on the Nokia Lumia 630

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-activates-bing-health-pedometer-in-nokia-lumia-630/

I don't think any of the earlier phones will have it accurately as MS locked out 3rd partys from a lot of the functionality which apps might simulate this stuff without Sensorcore . Which is why things like timers don't work. None of this stuff works on the 520 for example. I've given up on the 520 for most of this stuff.

• Advertisement

List of apps here which us GPS (Location) might work. 520 doesn't have a compass dunno if that effects them.

http://www.newtechnology.co.in/running-apps-nokia-lumia/

Unregistered Users

Developers were able to bypass it implementing their own screen lock feature (temporarily disabling WP's screenlock and replacing it by its own one for the period of measuring), but amount of crappy ones is too large, so I really don't know which one is worth trying. :(

Edit: do not want GPS thing at all. It won't work anyway, as app will be used indoors (in the factory, so likely very well cut off GPS signal).

It may work better in WP10. Which has been seen on the 520 if it gets an official release or not. I've considered switching to a 630 if can get one cheap enough. Has a few useful additions over the 520. If I stay with WP that is.

Unregistered Users

Edited above one. And I need that app this week, so any waiting time (buy something, phone swap, new system) is not an option. :(

I've yet to see a pedometer that worked well of any kind based on steps.

If its for fitness, distance and time works much better.

Its for some other purpose, productivity or such. I don't see any solutions, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The main problem is that the 520 doesn't really have a good accurate way to measure steps, because it only really has an accelerometer, which isn't as useful as a true pedometer sensor that some of the newer Lumias have.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

As others have mentioned, in door tracking with the 520 isn't practical at all.

How about something like the Fitbit Zip? https://www.fitbit.com/zip

Theres also the MS Band coming soon. The Zip is more suitable in this case though.

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/reviews/item/20645_Microsoft_Band_the_biggest_sel.php

Unregistered Users

Thanks for all the input lads.

No purchase is relevant, as I need it for tonight.

Advertisement