Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Of Foam and Fury (Galway Bay)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Actually its very similar to Nelson Imperial Ale from the US which is 2.80 for a 330cl bottle (abv 8.6)in Superquinn.
    Can we compare like with like? Widmer are funded by AB-Inbev and produce 450,000 barrels a year. Its already been shown to be cheaper than Brewdog.

Anyway, those of us who are waiting for the Irish craft scene to start producing inexpensive really high quality beers will be left waiting it seems. 8 degrees seem to be closest to achieving this atm. Would love to see 11-13 euro six packs of Amber Ella this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

drumswan wrote: »
    Can we compare like with like? Widmer are funded by AB-Inbev and produce 450,000 barrels a year. Its already been shown to be cheaper than Brewdog.

Anyway, those of us who are waiting for the Irish craft scene to start producing inexpensive really high quality beers will be left waiting it seems. 8 degrees seem to be closest to achieving this atm. Would love to see 11-13 euro six packs of Amber Ella this year.

I meant its very like it in taste and abv not economics or scale of brewing, unfortunately I'm on a low wage and can't afford to subsidise high priced Irish microbreweries offerings too much, I do my best but if I was in an offie and there was 60 or 70 cents in the difference I'd get "Of Foam..." any more and I'd get "Nelson...".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

BaZmO* wrote: »
    They're ridiculously thin though.

Yeah whats the deal with that. I have two of them and thats the only problem i have with them. Thin glass surely means you warm it up too fast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

adamski8 wrote: »
    Yeah whats the deal with that. I have two of them and thats the only problem i have with them. Thin glass surely means you warm it up too fast too.

If it were a wine glass, a thin lip is good because it helps you taste it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Actually its very similar to Nelson Imperial Ale from the US which is 2.80 for a 330cl bottle (abv 8.6)in Superquinn.
    For me the difference in taste for these two beers is HUGE. Nelson is less than mediocre not-so-micro DIPA that has been shipped and stored who knows how and how long.

Of course the price makes a difference, I won't be making OFAF my go to IPA because of the cost. But I won't make that a fault of the beer - it just competes in another tier. The kinda tier where I buy one of them when I want a treat, and in that category it still beats my previous 'treat' tier beers of hoppy profile. And is set to be more reliable. I mean there was a "farmhouse IPA" by a notoriously inconsistent brewery being sold by the Irish off licences, stored in room temp whenever I saw it at about 20€ a bottle. With that money I can buy 3 OFAF after checking that the bottling date isn't too far in the past and avoid it becoming like a neckbeard version of russian roulette.

I like beer. I can drink cans of bavaria to get drunk and on occasion splash out on a Bourbon County Brand Stout, and am glad that there are lots of different varieties and options in between these two so I'm not stuck with these two choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I haven't tasted the bottle but I loved the draught version.
    However, I probably will only buy one bottle to try. I simply cannot justify the price they are charging for it. I do understand that it is, no doubt, an expensive beer to produce and it's high ABV does attract a lot of duty.
    But when you take into account, the micro duty rebate and the low transport costs, there is no way in the world that this beer should command a higher price than an imported craft beer of similar strength and quality. They pay less duty, have small transport costs and don't have to pay a succession of middlemen dealers. The fact that it is fresher than imports doesn't have a cost implication on the production.
    Now, I understand that the value of anything is somewhere between what it costs to produce and what people are willing to pay for it. I sincerely hope that the buying public will send a message to GB that they got the pricing on this one wrong. If they can't make it any cheaper, maybe it's not a viable product.

As someone else pointed out 8 Degrees have made a number of cracking fairly high ABV beers that sell at a reasonable, yet, premium price. I can buy 6 bottles of Zeus BIPA for €15

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

and don't have to pay a succession of middlemen dealers.
    AFAIK, Noreast is the distributor, so there's one extra beak to be wetted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    AFAIK, Noreast is the distributor, so there's one extra beak to be wetted.

But just one. Most US imports come through the UK, then through an Irish distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

snowblind wrote: »
    For me the difference in taste for these two beers is HUGE. Nelson is less than mediocre not-so-micro DIPA that has been shipped and stored who knows how and how long.

Of course the price makes a difference, I won't be making OFAF my go to IPA because of the cost. But I won't make that a fault of the beer - it just competes in another tier. The kinda tier where I buy one of them when I want a treat, and in that category it still beats my previous 'treat' tier beers of hoppy profile. And is set to be more reliable. I mean there was a "farmhouse IPA" by a notoriously inconsistent brewery being sold by the Irish off licences, stored in room temp whenever I saw it at about 20€ a bottle. With that money I can buy 3 OFAF after checking that the bottling date isn't too far in the past and avoid it becoming like a neckbeard version of russian roulette.

I like beer. I can drink cans of bavaria to get drunk and on occasion splash out on a Bourbon County Brand Stout, and am glad that there are lots of different varieties and options in between these two so I'm not stuck with these two choices.

Oh really? and who are you? The famous Alstrom Bros. who know what they are talking about, rate it as outstanding and I agree with them:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8/67866/?ba=bros

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Oh really? and who are you? The famous Alstrom Bros. who know what they are talking about, rate it as outstanding and I agree with them:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8/67866/?ba=bros
    Opinions are subjective and I provided mine. I do not know who these supposedly famous bros you are talking about are. I see they provided their opinions. Should their opinions change mine? I don't think so. Did you provide your opinion or theirs? I'm not sure anymore.

Also Oregon to Massachusetts means they can get this beer much fresher than we do, so it most likely tastes much better there. Most IPAs that are imported here from the states get great reviews on these websites. I would rather trust my own tastebuds thank you!

• Advertisement

I think we have a winner, 7e in sweeneys!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

drumswan wrote: »
    Steady on, Moorgat are producing about 700,000 hl of beer annually, comparing Duvel to OFAF is a tad ridiculous.

OK, fair enough, comparing GBB to Moortgat Duvel is a bit unfair, as you say Duvel have huge economies of scale.

And I'd say that scale drives costs per unit down more than we think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I see Of Foam Of Fury won the Beoir Beer Of The Year award for 2014. Well deserved IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

had this again in the black sheep last night. still much better on draught for me. worthy winner of beoir beer of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Have four bottles in the fridge.
    7 quid in sweeneys, jebus.

I know my local offie very well and he said when noreast were in he literally said it was double the cost wholesale to him, so I wonder if there is much margin @ 5.70 a bottle

Well deserved beer of the year, great innovation from the lads in Galway Bay, and there is more to come from them in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

They have a new 10% imperial stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Anybody spot any bottles in an offie in the Galway area yet???

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Anybody spot any bottles in an offie in the Galway area yet???

HB
    Are you sh**ting me hamsterboy?

A Galway Bay beer & it can't be got in Galway :confused: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

MonstaMash wrote: »
    A Galway Bay beer & it can't be got in Galway :confused: :rolleyes:
    Well, presumably all the bottles for off-sales go from the brewery straight to Noreast's warehouse in Dundalk. Any that make it back to Galway are probably coming from there.

Have you tried McCambridge's, hamsterboy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

McCambridges hope to have it this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Will be camped outside McCaimbridges the weekend like a sad ass Garth Brooks fan so

Will be camped outside McCaimbridges the weekend like a sad ass Garth Brooks fan so

Don't get your hopes up too much, they told me next week the week before too and that it hasn't been bottled yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Has anyone tasted this imperial stout yet? I like most of Galway Bay's beers, but they're inconsistent enough that I wouldn't drop €7.50 on a bottle unless I'd heard or read some exceptional reviews of it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Has anyone tasted this imperial stout yet? I like most of Galway Bay's beers, but they're inconsistent enough that I wouldn't drop €7.50 on a bottle unless I'd heard or read some exceptional reviews of it first.

Bought a bottle in the Dark Horse this evening, supping as I type. Pricey, yes...but very very good. And one'd be plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 32 entangled

Apologies if it's been said already but any off licence in Dublin selling OFAF a bit closer to Dublin city center than Sweeney's?

yeah, drinkstore in stoneybatter

Its 2 for 11e in drinkstore atm, just picked myself up some

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

JayRoc wrote: »
    Bought a bottle in the Dark Horse this evening, supping as I type. Pricey, yes...but very very good. And one'd be plenty

Got a bottle here tonight, nice to see OFAF down to 5.75 too

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

It's €5.79 in Bradleys, Cork at the moment - seems to be going quickly though.

• Advertisement

In stock today, 2 or 3 left in the fridge

Advertisement