Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Of Foam and Fury (Galway Bay)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Over 6.50 each in redmonds, bit steep if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

dub_skav wrote: »
    Over 6.50 each in redmonds, bit steep if you ask me

For a 500ml bottle??

Wow, that is steep

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

6.50 here in hollands too, won't be buying many of them at that price tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Was 6.95 in redmonds fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Had it from bottle last night for the first time. I honestly think it was worth every cent of the 6.50 I paid. Nicest beer I've had in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I agree 6.50 is a tad expensive but for this stuff I would definitely be purchasing.
    Still find it odd that they make the stuff in Galway yet the bottles can so far only be got in Dublin :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

How is it odd ? There's probably a lot more demand for it in dublin. Not as if it takes that long to transport stuff from galway to dublin too

it's nice from the bottle, nicer on draught though imo. 6.50 is pricey when you consider that 'I hardcore you' and 'hardcore IPA' can be gotten cheaper (albeit 330ml bottles) and would have a more expensive transport costs.

that being said, this is ireland best DIPA and worth the try.

obligatory pic

290843.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

jsa112 wrote: »
    How is it odd ? There's probably a lot more demand for it in dublin. Not as if it takes that long to transport stuff from galway to dublin too
    Well ok I'll agree there's more demand for it in Dublin but I wouldn't underestimate the demand in Galway either. Would've been nice to have had the chance to try the bottled as soon as it was ready.
    Ah well.... Will just have to wait a bit

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

it's nice from the bottle, nicer on draught though imo. 6.50 is pricey when you consider that 'I hardcore you' and 'hardcore IPA' can be gotten cheaper (albeit 330ml bottles) and would have a more expensive transport costs.

that being said, this is ireland best DIPA and worth the try.

obligatory pic

290843.jpg

That's a great glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That's a great glass.

They're ridiculously thin though.

yup, they're extremely delicate at the rim of the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Well I think neither of those beers is as good as OFAF. I think with Drinkstores pricing, OFAF is cheaper as well?

Also for hoppy beers, paying more for "transport costs" is just weird - the hop aromas fade in warm transportation, so why would I be willing to pay more for it?

snowblind wrote: »
    Well I think neither of those beers is as good as OFAF. I think with Drinkstores pricing, OFAF is cheaper as well?

Also for hoppy beers, paying more for "transport costs" is just weird - the hop aromas fade in warm transportation, so why would I be willing to pay more for it?

All prices are Drink Store prices:

OFAF - 5.70.
    Hardcore - 4.20.
    Hardcore you - 4.99.

Now a few things,

1. I never said these beers were better than OFAF.
    2. I didn't mean that I would pay transport costs for hoppy beers, I meant that the likes of these beers are being transported further to get here therefore have a higher transport cost than say a van coming 2:30 hours from Galway to Dublin.

I know Galway bay are incredibly smaller than Brew dog and the likes but it is a little bit too much IMO for it to be a regular drinker.

Also it's a bit odd for them to be charging €7 for it in their own off-licences when it's cheaper in others.

Minor niggles for an otherwise great Irish beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

The brewer often insists that these beers are shipped in cold storage - I know that was the case for the Stone stuff released before xmas.

I think that whole "fresh is best" when it comes to hoppy beers is over sold imo. I'm sure the hoppyness fades but I'd love to see how many people could actually tell the difference in a blind tasting.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think that whole "fresh is best" when it comes to hoppy beers is over sold imo. I'm sure the hoppyness fades but I'd love to see how many people could actually tell the difference in a blind tasting.
    Well there's only one way to find out!

My experience on the matter is definitely conclusive, and the taste of OFAF compared to some competition is one of the contributing factors.

This weekend I was trying out some of the hoppy stuff I usually like, and the complexity of taste in OFAF compared to all the others (american ones) was absolutely clear.

8 Wired Hopwired was my favourite beer the first time I tried it, the second time a couple of weeks later it tasted good but a clear notch or one and a half notches down from the pole position.

Many of the hoppy beers available here are a bit of a gamble in this regards - thankfully with OFAF (especially with the bottling date printed on the bottle) I do not have to be disappointed by an american IPA from Flying Dog or whatever that was "great the previous time I tried it" but now just alright.

I'm quite sure that the difference would be apparent in blind tasting, provided if the participants have a palate that is used to hoppy beers.

drumswan wrote: »
    The brewer often insists that these beers are shipped in cold storage - I know that was the case for the Stone stuff released before xmas.

Well if the brewer insists and it's acted upon, that's definitely an improvement! But the off licences should also have proper fridges for these beers, but most of them do not. And the ones that do, don't really use it for the hoppy beers as would make sense. And cold storage only slows the process down. There's nothing better for a good hoppy beer than having it fresh and close to the source.

All prices are Drink Store prices:

OFAF - 5.70.
    Hardcore - 4.20.
    Hardcore you - 4.99.

Now a few things,

1. I never said these beers were better than OFAF.
    2. I didn't mean that I would pay transport costs for hoppy beers, I meant that the likes of these beers are being transported further to get here therefore have a higher transport cost than say a van coming 2:30 hours from Galway to Dublin.

I know Galway bay are incredibly smaller than Brew dog and the likes but it is a little bit too much IMO for it to be a regular drinker.

Also it's a bit odd for them to be charging €7 for it in their own off-licences when it's cheaper in others.

Minor niggles for an otherwise great Irish beer.
    OFAF - 5.70 for 0.5l - 11.50 for 1 litre
    Hardcore - 4.20 for 0.33l 12.60 for 1 litre
    Hardcore you - 4.99 for 0.33l 14.97 for 1 litre

Something important was left out!

I was also disappointed that OFAF is quite expensive, but I can still justify paying that with the competition in mind. The beers I would compare it to would cost the same or more. And I like OFAF more, even though the observed difference in quality might not be 100% because of the brewing process itself - when the other choices are brought from America or NZ, the Irish choice has an absolute benefit of freshness. At least until it's been hanging on the shelves for a while.

Regardless of all the ins and outs, Galway Bay know they've made a top beer, especially with the likes of us prattling on about it, and as result of that they've put a premium on it. Same for any of the off licences that are charging mad money for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Over priced & over rated IMHO :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is this a joke?

5.70 for 50cl retail price in an off-licence??

Unreal.

At 5.70 per pint in a pub might be ok, but shop price - that's crazy.

Duvel 33cl is about, what, 2.50?? That's 3.75 per 50cl.

GBB surely have rebated excise, meaning the excise is halved??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

To be fair they only serve it at 2/3 a pint in the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

To be fair they only serve it at 2/3 a pint in the pubs.

Geuze wrote: »
    Is this a joke?

5.70 for 50cl retail price in an off-licence??

Unreal.

At 5.70 per pint in a pub might be ok, but shop price - that's crazy.

Duvel 33cl is about, what, 2.50?? That's 3.75 per 50cl.

GBB surely have rebated excise, meaning the excise is halved??
    Why would you compare it to Duvel, a very different beer?
    I would compare it to something like 8 Wired Hopwired, which is around 7 euro a bottle, used to be more than 8! But brought all the way from NZ with all the taste consequences of such a trip.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

For a beer that strong I'd rather a 330 ml bottle for cheaper tbh. 500 ml at that strength is a bit much for me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Both about 8.5% ABV, I think???

So similar excise?

Though GBB may get a microbrewery reduction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Geuze wrote: »
    Both about 8.5% ABV, I think???

So similar excise?

Though GBB may get a microbrewery reduction?
    Steady on, Moorgat are producing about 700,000 hl of beer annually, comparing Duvel to OFAF is a tad ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I would compare it to something like 8 Wired Hopwired, which is around 7 euro a bottle, used to be more than 8! But brought all the way from NZ with all the taste consequences of such a trip.

Actually its very similar to Nelson Imperial Ale from the US which is 2.80 for a 330cl bottle (abv 8.6)in Superquinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

For a beer that strong I'd rather a 330 ml bottle for cheaper tbh. 500 ml at that strength is a bit much for me.

Me too, I'd say €3.50 for a 330cl bottle would be the way to go.

Advertisement