Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kopite96

Stevieo they lost my original application had to do another one online after I enquired after hearing nothing definitely worth asking about a date for medical I know they are crazy busy and everything seems to take a lot longer. Done medical 4 weeks ago and I just have to wait for the call.

Keep all your options open and hopefully you will have a choice to make. Best of luck with everything. Keep us posted.

Stevieo just checked it was 3 weeks from driving assessment and interview to the medical for me so hopefully you hear soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stevvieo

Thanks for the reply

Just thought I would've got a yes or no from the interview by now, or even a date for the medical. If I have to wait 4 weeks for the medical it's cool, but it's been nothing since the interview.

I'm still optimistic, but its fading fast. All the other replies from them were quick.

Do you think they'd let you know if it's a no on the job?

They are very slow at getting back to you sometimes. They have recruited quite a lot this year. And that includes a pause for quite a few months. You will hear hear from them it just takes a lot of time and patience.

you will get a letter in post if its a no i think, i got an email two days after the interview then medical was a four week wait. i passed medical and had to get my doctor to send on a few things and i kind if want to contact medical department to make sure they got the stuff because my doctors receptionist was all over the place to deal with.....but not sure its a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 CloneeBohs

Just completed my 8 month review, it's flown in, I was put on the 5 day straight away.

Best decision I ever made but some ppl who started after me have left saying it wasn't for them and too stressful.

Personally I don't find it stressful at all but I've had no incidents at all really.

Duties can be a bit up and down, but take the good with the bad and don't take it personally when you get a run of **** ones.

Be glad to answer any questions anyone has.

when will they let me know if i have a job or not haha!!

is it easy or hard learning to drive the bus and how was the driving test?

do you think they would start a new class in December? im starting to think maybe they wont do class in december due to xmass being in the middle.

fair play in your eight months btw and coming back to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

Up to recently, new classes were starting every week. Learning to drive the bus is the most comprehensive training you can get. Never any pressure. Even if someone fails the test, they've invested so much up to that point, that they get a second chance at it. You honestly couldn't buy this kind of training...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CloneeBohs

I wouldn't know about a class starting in December, I wouldn't rule it out either though as I was up there during Easter and had to do some Saturdays in the school to make up for the Mondays we missed due to bank holidays.

The instructors are brilliant, the buses are automatic, it's just about getting used to the size but your driving them so much the test is nearly a formality, you still will be nervous on the day though.

As for the job itself it's what you make of it, ignore all the doom and gloom and make your own mind up, people have the head for it and enjoy it or they don't.

Best of luck hope all goes well for you

ah i wasnt sure if there are hard parts of learning but was curious how others felt about learning to drive the bus, ah ill be making my own mind up for sure if i do get the job, every job has its ups and downs anyways but i sort of already checked out of my current job mentally so heres hoping the calls come soon lol.

• Advertisement

Fair play to everyone on here for giving advice and answering questions 👏 👍 it's the only way most people can get information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kiltipper

Hi, Looking for bit of information about Dublin bus.

Below is the time line that I went through to eventually get the final call. I applied for a professional driver as I have full D license.

I submitted my application form in March this year and did the online assessment a couple of weeks later. Then did my driving assessment, interview & medical in September. My blood pressure was little high so they advised me to see my GP during which time my application was pending. Got the reports from my GP in mid October and emailed it to the medical department. Three weeks later I got a call to start in 3 weeks time.

And my questions are:

Parking? Is travel free on Luas for DB drivers? Do they provide shuttlebus for staff who does not drive to work and finish very late?

Many thanks in advance.

Get Outlook for Android

hey there, just curious if you emailed in your BP report yourself? or did you get your doctor to do it? if you sent it yourself, did you get a reply from them to say it was received?

I asked my buddy who works there same questions as you. you can park at the depot while working, and they do have a bus that will drop a load drivers a certain way but not sure if they will drop you right home. i think this is what they call a ghost bus.

Hi, After having a 24 BP monitor the GP gave me a report with the result and cover letter saying that all is good. Then I emailed this report to the occupational doc (OHMedical.department@irishrail.ie) and Dublin Bus HR called me 2.5 weeks later to offer me the job. And no, they didn't acknowledge my email.

Great news re parking and the ghost bus is handy too.

Hopefully you'll hear from the soon!

Best of luck!

Parking? Is travel free on Luas for DB drivers? Do they provide shuttlebus for staff who does not drive to work and finish very late?

Most depots have ample parking,but if a bus does happen to clip your car, even if you find out who did it .... Dublin Bus will not be held responsible. ( I've had them in court on this and lost).

The LUAS is not free for drivers even in uniform.

There's a "Staff Special " to get you home at night from most garages, but with the expansion of 24-hour services,I can see this being phased out. Same in the mornings,although these normally operate in service now.

Great, thanks. It's good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The Luas isn't free but 9/10 you're fine. I had one checker have a proper go at me before I could get a word in and passengers all said it was ridiculous, then his team of other checkers all went against him and apologised to me 😁

thats good they didnt acknowledge(i mean i didnt get anything back)...i got letter sent in by my gp last monday but i dont trust the receptionist at his office so i sent the report in to the email you quoted there, i was just worried the email didnt get in i guess. fingers crossed now.

Same with my GP receptionist so I went to them and asked for the copy and emailed it to them myself. I was worried when they didn't acknowledge my email weather they got the report or went to in to junk mail and they accidently deleted it. You will hear from them soon and hang in there, you're nearly there.

hopefully soon, i shouldnt complain i only applied first week of september and everything flew through, they did ring me to see if i could attend a meeting the next day on short notice though,but waiting four weeks for medical was a killer for me haha.

best of luck with your job man! congrats

• Advertisement

So thankfully it ended well, must have been scarlet for the checker when his colleagues turned on him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soule26

Good morning folks

I would like to ask you guys if you fall on driving assessments in Dublin bus, how long you have to wait to reapply again please any one have knowledge about it please???

• Registered Users Posts: 41 overdar26

Hi guys I have my driving assessment and hopefully interview afterwards on Friday .. few questions if anyone can help.. what is appropriate interview clothing??? Shirt and tie or casual??(been 20 years since last interview:):)) I drove. N automatic for the first time yesterday and it was actually very comfortable and easy to drive, so just wondering about the route taken for driving assessment…. City centre or caves/phibsbourough??? And finally , the interview.. is there any questions that might throw you off??? Any help appreciated….

Go with the shirt and tie. You only get one chance to make a good impression. The driving assessment is usually around Cabra/Phibsboro, 20 - 25 minutes normally. Don't get stressed over it. The instructor is not trying to fail you. Watch out for the Stop signs on the way out of the training centre. In the interview, just think, Safety, Safety and Safety. Best of luck with it.

so after passing medical the CMO decided to go against it and declare me unfit 🤢🤮

Sorry to hear that! Would you not consider applying to Go-Ahead? They are not as fussy with medical ( I know from experience). Best of luck.

haha i live right beside one of the go ahead depots, I'll give them a shot now but felt DB was the better option at the time.

I was told i can appeal the CMO decision, which i have done already, the doctor told me on the day i passed the medical and he was happy with my T1 diabetes(just wanted to see my blood pressure was ok with my doctor) so when he came back and told me they can't pass me fit because of T1 diabetes and taking insulin while driving i was a bit shocked to say the least.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Stephen hope you get sorted soon.

Advertisement