Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Nelson Mandela

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I do not now, and never have, supported any form of racial segregation or colour bar. The fact that I was looking forward to spending the rest of my life with a black girl should have been your answer. It never happened because her extended family objected to her marrying a Jew, and she gave in to their wishes.

Just what part of 'apartheid is as abhorrent to me as it is to you' is not clear?

Are you putting me on trial for being less than hysterically grief-stricken because a a former terrorist-become-statesman [aged 95] has died?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Coles wrote: »
    I don't understand your point. Being a Jew might make you well informed about racial prejudice and it's practices, but it certainly doesn't follow that Apartheid would be abhorrent to you. Apartheid is still quite obviously the social policy in place in Israel, for example.

It is also worth remembering that Israel was South Africa's principle source for weapons to prop up the Apartheid regime, including the development of Nuclear Weapons and other weapons of mass destruction.

Years after the collapse of Apartheid it is interesting to note that Israel are snubbing the Mandela funeral by sending no dignitaries. Link

Being Jewish clearly doesn't naturally make Apartheid abhorrent, does it?

And being Jewish does not make someone Israeli

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sorry, Fred, but it does. :) ALL Jews have a right to residence and Israeli nationality by default. I did my aliyah when I left school, but, after almost for years of hydroponics, tomatoes and soft fruit, came back to UK and joined the Army.

However, this is not MY story, but that of the late Mr Mandela, to whom our thoughts and prayers, one way or another, should be directed today.

So, if we can now return to him, and ignore the sentiments of a no-account Jew for whom he was just another terrorist-turned statesman, rather like Messrs McGuiness and Adams, I'd be very grateful.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

tac foley wrote: »
    ALL Jews have a right to residence and Israeli nationality by default.

You have no right to steal someone else's land, as they've been doing since 1948.

That's why Israel has assumed the deeply-unpopular-country mantle of the old South Africa.

The Palestinians gassed no Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

tac foley wrote: »
    Just what part of 'apartheid is as abhorrent to me as it is to you' is not clear?
    But that's not what you said. You said 'AS A JEW, apartheid is as abhorrent to me as it is to you'. I merely pointed out that being Jewish does not necessarily make you 'abhorrent to apartheid', and indeed in the case of the State of Israel the exact opposite was true.
    Are you putting me on trial for being less than hysterically grief-stricken because a a former terrorist-become-statesman [aged 95] has died?

tac
    I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about now. Perhaps you are dealing with issues that shouldn't be part of this thread.

• Advertisement

:confused:

lt actually does, but you seem to have missed the point entirely.

:confused:

lt actually does, but you seem to have missed the point entirely.

No, being Jewish gives someone the right to be Israeli.

No, being Jewish gives someone the right to be Israeli.
    Still missing the point.

Still missing the point.

Nope, just being pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I see the Lord Mayor of Lisburn Co Antrim refused to open a book of condolences for Mr Mandela, perhaps she might have been better trying to walk in his footsteps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

HansHolzel wrote: »
    You have no right to steal someone else's land, as they've been doing since 1948.

That's why Israel has assumed the deeply-unpopular-country mantle of the old South Africa.

The Palestinians gassed no Jews.

The usual ignorance of the factors which led to the creation of the State of Israel.

Advertisement