Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brush Up for Motorcycle Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

It's a 02 hornet 600. It's listed as being acceptiable but I'm going through the check list that they send you and it say you must show engine size & power output of bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

If it's on the list it should be grand. Lots of motorbike log books are dodgy and have incomplete info. Mine was just down as 'CYCLE', no other information.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Got my test tomorrow afternoon! I'm bricking it now! I've done a couple of pre-tests but reckon I'll be 50/50 (at best!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Don't sweat it: just relax and remind yourself you can take it as many times as you need to.
    I failed first time as I overthought everything, passed easily on my second try as I was a lot more laid back about it (although I thought I'd failed within the first 10 minutes but it was just a grade 2 fault)

Thanks- will try to relax and appear confident! As you say it's not the end of the world not to pass but I REALLY want this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Passed. Anyway👍 tester said I could be a little better at the lifesaver / glance at roundabouts. Marked me for a couple but in general I had a good ride. Now what to buy next year😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

fiestaman wrote: »
    Passed. Anyway👍 tester said I could be a little better at the lifesaver / glance at roundabouts. Marked me for a couple but in general I had a good ride. Now what to buy next year😆

Well done. Its a great feeling to pass. In a few years time im sure there will be 10 more hoops to jump through that you wont need to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks- will try to relax and appear confident! As you say it's not the end of the world not to pass but I REALLY want this!

How did you do Stan?

I passed!! I'm absolutely delighted! I did the test yesterday in Tallaght.

He asked me when to use dipped lights, when you can overtake on the left, which is the most powerful brake, procedure for turning [i.e. MILM/MILF!]brake sequence/how you brake and then some easy enough road signs. Outside then he asked where the coolant was, when you have to change a tyre e.g. thread depth, condition etc, how to check brake fluid for front brake, he checked the brakes/indicators worked and that was about it.

I got a bit freaked as I've been practicing a good bit on the route (also did 2 pre-tests) my instructor was confident it would be very unlikely to change. However, yesterday for the test we did it in reverse. I know that shouldn't be an issue but it threw me. I thought I started well and felt good but as we went on I became less confident and made some mistakes (I thought so at least!).

I honestly thought I'd blown it so when he said I'd passed I had to pretend not to be surprised! I made 2 grade 2 errors. To be fair the tester was nice- pretty friendly.

Over the moon to pass, as said I'm very much a fair-weather motorcyclist but passing the bike test is something I've wanted for a long time so it feels great to tick the box.

I did my IBT and got 2 pre-tests with Tony Agnew in Ballymount (086 6494718). I also used his bike/gear (my bike wouldn't have been powerful enough for the full A licence.) I couldn't recommend him highly enough. He's an absolute gentleman, really knows his stuff and has the patience of a saint! Pre-tests/rental isn't cheap but it proved to be money well spent.

Thanks to posters on this thread- some great tips here which helped me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Nice one lads, it's an amazing feeling. Delighted for you both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Good job. Mine is booked, Dying to do it.

Genuine question.
    If driving in traffic and the lights up ahead turn red and you are behind a car/a few cars, Is it acceptable to filter through to the front of traffic and in some cases filter to where there is a box for bikes etc(only bicycles??).Would the tester follow you? Or is it better to just stay behind the cars and wait for traffic to start flowing again.

I'm assuming the latter as there should be no immediacy when doing a test. Not drive like you late for work!

Thanks for the tips.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Filtering is a legal grey area.
    I would do zero filtering during the test. Wait in line. It's just more potential for you to make a mistake and fail.

Also some testers are still using cars. They will lose sight of you if you filter and will ask you to pull over so they can catch up

Forgot about testing via cars. Makes sense, thanks.

I definitely wouldn't filter during the test! Also remember to stay a safe distance behind cars in front when in traffic (try to make sure you're visible in their mirrors) and when turning. I don't know if you've done a pretest but I'd definitely recommend at least one.
    Best of luck.

Yeah Im booking one shortly. Im sure it's invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Anybody here done the bike test in Naas ? any tips ? where are the u turns and how many are you asked to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 poshea69

doing it in naas Friday, ill let you know details , nerves are eating me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

poshea69 wrote: »

good luck:cool:

I did mine in naas this year. U turns are in one of the estates near the test centre, they brought me out the monread road with all the dead roundabouts for most of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Get a pre test lesson, the instructor will show you the route. I did mine with Mick Finlay and all the spots on the test were well covered. Also, I think people posted maps earlier in other threads if you do a search. I did my uturn (1) in New Caragh Court, I also had to push the bike here. The hazard avoidance scenario was on the ring road between Kerry group and the roundabout for Caragh.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

I did my pushing the bike in the car park of the test centre, same instructor, same test, same day as zubair :-)

So they do mix it up a bit. Best to just not sweat where the test is and have your skills down.

I am doing it this morning in Naas ( Wednesday 21st ) and its lashing rain all night !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

robinwing wrote: »
    I am doing it this morning in Naas ( Wednesday 21st ) and its lashing rain all night !!

How'd you get on?

how you do?

how you do?

He failed me . Believe Naas has a pass rate of 41% . Walkie talkie broke down and I could not hear his instructions well garbled noise in earpiece mostly , he didn't fix it properly and I heard garbled messages for most of the test , had to pull in numerous times to try and get a signal back . Examiner didn't like the look of me and was distant and wanted to fill his 59% quota . He accused me of not doing lifesavers etc . I did them all , and u turns were immaculate . Would not have applied for Naas if I had known it has the lowest pass rate in the country.

how you do?

Did you pass on Friday ? examiner for me was a big tall baldy guy

He failed me . Believe Naas has a pass rate of 41% . Walkie talkie broke down and I could not hear his instructions well garbled noise in earpiece mostly , he didn't fix it properly and I heard garbled messages for most of the test , had to pull in numerous times to try and get a signal back . Examiner didn't like the look of me and was distant and wanted to fill his 59% quota . He accused me of not doing lifesavers etc . I did them all , and u turns were immaculate . Would not have applied for Naas if I had known it has the lowest pass rate in the country.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass. What do you mean 'he didn't like the look of me'? Did you do a pre-test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I had a friend who had a similar issue with the walkie-talkie. He refused to complete the rest of the test without fully functioning equipment and contacted the RSA (think it was) for a re-sit. Got a new date a few weeks later, took the test and passed. I had a small issue with mine during the test (couldn't hear the instructor during maneuvers) but was resolved on the spot. I just pulled in, tapped my helmet every 30 seconds and waited for him to come to me to fix it. Probably would have done something similar if it had of been worse though.

If you want my advice OP, Id try to take on board what the instructor said and build on it so next time there is no way he can miss your lifesavers or whatever else he failed you on. Other than that Id say chin up. Failing your test is a pretty **** experience (I know trust me) especially if you put in a lot of hard work/money. But the feeling you get when you pass outweighs all negatives leading up to that moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would not have applied for Naas if I had known it has the lowest pass rate in the country.

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Driving-Test-Centre/Pass-Rates/

Carlow and Rathgar are worse.

These are overall pass rates - the bike pass rate is always a lot higher than the car pass rate.

It's up to the tester to get the radio working properly. If you can't follow his instructions you should pull in and stop. If they can't fix it on the day they should give you a free retest.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

right, pass test Friday in naas, he was big on safety glances , my instructor told me that before i did test. so passing junctions glance up road right or left to make sure traffic is stopped, so I done it at every junction , lights and roundabouts. and i still got a mark for not doing enough of them. and got a mark on road position on the straight , I wasn't in middle of my lane. so nervous I couldn't get key in ignition, got it in I couldn't turn it kept pushing key down .took me a minute to get bike on. asked me about how to check brakes , oil and chain. push bike . didn't ask to put on stand. tester was a nice guy, not ignorant at all, was a serious guy when testing I suppose he has to be, that's his job, very friendly after test , talked for 10 mins after words.O and some lad just walked out in front of me when i was turning into estate where you do u turn, and he diffidently seen me and walked really slow across just looking at me like it was my fault. thought I failed there. bike hunting time now.

Advertisement