Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brush Up for Motorcycle Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Got my test coming up fairly soon. Fairly nervous.

Do you have to be able to do the U-turn to pass the test? I'm using an instructors bike which is much bigger than mine and I'm having a lot of trouble doing u-turns.

Also, how many grade 2 faults can you make without failing? Is it the same as a car (8)?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

its not a fail its a grade 2 fault, as long as when your foot goes down, you do your lifesavers etc you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

How long are tests taking these days? I boked mine 2 weeks ago and all I have is the acknowledgement, nothing close to a date yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

gerrowadat wrote: »
    How long are tests taking these days? I boked mine 2 weeks ago and all I have is the acknowledgement, nothing close to a date yet.
    Depends where you are.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    You will not be asked to put the bike on the centre stand.
    But you should learn anyway. Its all technique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

AgileMyth wrote: »
    But you should learn anyway. Its all technique.

No thanks, I know how to, he was asking about the test.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    No thanks, I know how to, he was asking about the test.
    Wasn't suggesting you didn't. I meant himself. He doesn't have to know it for the test but its no harm knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Wasn't suggesting you didn't. I meant himself. He doesn't have to know it for the test but its no harm knowing.

Yes I agree, good to know how for parking, chain adjustment, chain lube, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Depends where you are.

Naas. Not impatient, just seeing I should expect to be doing my test on ice in the dead of winter :-)

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Naas. Not impatient, just seeing I should expect to be doing my test on ice in the dead of winter :-)
    I know when I was waiting it was a long time as they only get a tester down when there's enough booked to keep him going for a couple of days. Can't see that being the case over your side though.

Your local bike instructor would probably have a fair idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I've my test coming up and am starting to get nervous. To be honest I have a classic bike and it only comes out when it's sunny and even then just for spins up to the shops! I did the IBT early last year and to be fair (despite the expense!) I found it very useful. I've booked at least one pre-test with the same instructor but am worrying now my lack of real experience may cost me. It's not life or death whether I pass but I'd love to get just to tick it off the list and feel like I've accomplished a long-held goal.

Some great tips here- I especially liked the 'M.I.L.F'....that's stuck firmly in my head now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I've my test coming up and am starting to get nervous. To be honest I have a classic bike and it only comes out when it's sunny and even then just for spins up to the shops! I did the IBT early last year and to be fair (despite the expense!) I found it very useful. I've booked at least one pre-test with the same instructor but am worrying now my lack of real experience may cost me. It's not life or death whether I pass but I'd love to get just to tick it off the list and feel like I've accomplished a long-held goal.

Some great tips here- I especially liked the 'M.I.L.F'....that's stuck firmly in my head now!

Firstly I would get out on the bike every day up until the test. Its good that you booked a pretest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Have a few whiskeys before the test, calm the nerves :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Firstly I would get out on the bike every day up until the test. Its good that you booked a pretest.

+1

Nothing better than some time in the saddle. You'll need it to remember all the bits and bobs for when your taking your test too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Hi, I have my test next Thursday 20th in Kilkenny. Is there any particular questions they ask before you go driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Like a car test, they'll ask you to identify roadsigns and some questions like when can you cross a white line or when to dip your headlights. You'll also be asked to do hand signals and motorbike questions like which break is the strongest.
    You'll then head out and do some stuff like show where to check the oil level and take the bike off its stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bran_flake

Did my A test last Friday in Shannon. He asked hand signals, road positioning, box junction, when to dip your headlights and what causes skidding. Then asked about 10 road signs. Technical checks at the bike he asked how to check your tyres, check oil and check break fluid. Had to take bike of stand walk with bike and then bike back on stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭blade1

bran_flake wrote: »
    Did my A test last Friday in Shannon. He asked hand signals, road positioning, box junction, when to dip your headlights and what causes skidding. Then asked about 10 road signs. Technical checks at the bike he asked how to check your tyres, check oil and check break fluid. Had to take bike of stand walk with bike and then bike back on stand.

It's donkey's years since I done my test and just wondering if he asks how to check the oil must you actually do it or just explain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just explain it....its gas when I did my test only 3 - 4 yrs ago the instructor asked my how do I know when I am low on fuel. I told him that the LCD display shows the fuel in bars and when I get low the last bar starts flashing. He actually started laughing......he was totaly clueless and taught I was taking the piss. He was expecting the old needle and the E and F jobbie.

True story I swear to god, very nice fella but he was late 60s and followed me in a Toyota Corrolla. Have bikes now by all accounts.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just explain it....its gas when I did my test only 3 - 4 yrs ago the instructor asked my how do I know when I am low on fuel. I told him that the LCD display shows the fuel in bars and when I get low the last bar starts flashing. He actually started laughing......he was totaly clueless and taught I was taking the piss. He was expecting the old needle and the E and F jobbie.

True story I swear to god, very nice fella but he was late 60s and followed me in a Toyota Corrolla. Have bikes now by all accounts.

Yeah,that's why I was wondering about the oil level.
    There wouldn't be much point checking a bike with a dry sump if the engine was after cooling down as it wouldn't be accurate.

I wonder how many testers would know how to check the level on a bike with a dry sump?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

blade1 wrote: »
    It's donkey's years since I done my test and just wondering if he asks how to check the oil must you actually do it or just explain it?
    for a split second there i though you had asked do you have to actually change the oil as part of the test. i am very very tired this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There wouldn't be much point checking a bike with a dry sump if the engine was after cooling down as it wouldn't be accurate.

I wonder how many testers would know how to check the level on a bike with a dry sump?
    They just ask you, if you say "don't know", probably a yellow box ticked. If it looks like you know, it's good enough.

Cienciano wrote: »
    They just ask you, if you say "don't know", probably a yellow box ticked. If it looks like you know, it's good enough.

Anyone that don't know how to check the oil level on their bike should not only get a yellow box ticked but also a good stiff kick into the testicles!!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 carolmary

Anyone that don't know how to check the oil level on their bike should not only get a yellow box ticked but also a good stiff kick into the testicles!!:pac::pac::pac:

ah... but when I was asked that question in my test, I just about burst into a lovely speech on the process, pointing out relevant bit on the bike and so on only to freeze as my stressed brain cells screamed at me, "OMG, this is not my bike, it's the school bike.. where the hell is the damm oil thingie... it has to be somewhere.. keep looking, look at the other side, keep the tester thinking that you know what you're doing. Phew, found it".

Was not a happy moment, but I survived.

I wonder if this will pass the test?
    Tester: How do you...?
    Answer: I read the manual!

As that's my real-life process as I still new to this and don't what to muck up my bike ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

My tester was pretty lenient with the questions. He asked me about different checks I might undertake when inspecting a tyre. I think I said checking thread depth and checking for foreign objects. He paused and waited for me to say tyre pressure but I never did. Didn't lose any marks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bran_flake

I went with put on center stand on level ground, check the oil level is between the L and the F. Don't think you need to be too technical re sumps/hot/cold etc. Just know you POWDERS etc.

Lads what's the situation on proving the power output of the bike. My tax form just has 599cc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 carolmary

fiestaman wrote: »
    Lads what's the situation on proving the power output of the bike. My tax form just has 599cc

I think you're looking at your tax disc... try looking at your Registration Certificate for the bike, specifically the second page of the four page document

No it's the vehicle tax form defiantly, it's blank where the kW is and no power to ratio either. Cc is all that's there in relation to power.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

What bike is it?
    The examiner should have a list of suitable bikes.

Print out a spec sheet and bring it with you just in case.
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Manufacturer.htm

Advertisement