Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

TimRiggins wrote: »
    The fact that they'd sell 80,000 tickets would compensate for the PPV bookings loss aswell.

No it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

MrStuffins wrote: »
    No it wouldn't.

They'll make prob over 5 million on ticket sales alone. Plus PPV will be bought in America regardless of what time its at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

No it wouldn't.

Im not going to go ahead and say it would sell out but in all honestly it wouldnt surprise me. The power of bandwagons in this country is amazing, the amount of things that manage to sell out for no other reason that people the popular topic of the week is ridiculous. I surely didnt expect Garth Brooks to sell out croker 5 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

They'll make prob over 5 million on ticket sales alone. Plus PPV will be bought in America regardless of what time its at.

Conors no brock lesnar or gsp. Hes big with the hardcores but the casuals wont fork out 70 $ for conor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

nadey wrote: »
    Conors no brock lesnar or gsp. Hes big with the hardcores but the casuals wont fork out 70 $ for conor

Didn't 10000 people pay between 50 and 250 quid a ticket for the 02?

• Advertisement

Id disagree, he might not be as big as brock or gsp but he defo appeals to the masses in the USA both positively and negatively. I could be wrong but wasnt Fight Night Dublin the most viewed show thev done?
    Gumbi wrote: »
    Didn't 10000 people pay between 50 and 250 quid a ticket for the 02?

Pretty sure he ment PPV buys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Saipanne wrote: »
    It rains about 150 days per year, on the east coast. Stop being so dramatic.

So you've got a less than 50/50 chance of it raining. Again, great.
    have you ever been out?

Yes. I've even been out in rain. Hence why I wouldn't fancy sitting there and watching a night of fights in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Dana White already said he is as big as them....

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/9/29/6861209/morning-report-ufc-dana-white-conor-mcgregor-brock-lesnar-st-pierre-cowboy-cerrone-mma-news

srumball wrote: »

Dana White could say the sky is blue but id still have to double check :pac: Hes getting to that stage but hes not there yet. He will be a great PPV draw and possibly the biggest if he wins a belt!

I don't agree with that. Nobody wants to watch a non-live sports event if they can help it, and they certainly ain't going to pay $55 to watch it either. If it's live, it'll be in the afternoon, far from ideal. It'll knock PPV buys for sure.

80000 tickets is a lot, but you're not gonna sell 80000 at premium prices. Tickets will have to be sold at affordable rates.

MGM Grand holds 17000 or so. I had bought pretty average seats for Jones v Gustafsson and they were $300 just about. Good seats were $1000. No way you're charging $1000 for a seat in Croke Park. They'll be Fight Night prices.

This coupled with the fact that McGregor will be a relatively big PPV draw (Even if Aldo isn't) will mean they'll want PPV sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

So you've got a less than 50/50 chance of it raining. Again, great.

You didn't learn about seasons in school...

Here. Learn something.

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=532

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I don't agree with that. Nobody wants to watch a non-live sports event if they can help it, and they certainly ain't going to pay $55 to watch it either. If it's live, it'll be in the afternoon, far from ideal. It'll knock PPV buys for sure.

80000 tickets is a lot, but you're not gonna sell 80000 at premium prices. Tickets will have to be sold at affordable rates.

MGM Grand holds 17000 or so. I had bought pretty average seats for Jones v Gustafsson and they were $300 just about. Good seats were $1000. No way you're charging $1000 for a seat in Croke Park. They'll be Fight Night prices.

This coupled with the fact that McGregor will be a relatively big PPV draw (Even if Aldo isn't) will mean they'll want PPV sales.

Okay, but even 82,000 x 70 quid (can't see many tickets being much cheaper then that, and some will be considerably more) is nearly 6 million in ticket sales alone. That, with a good card which I'm sure it will be after the reaction Fight Night 46 got last this year will still make it a big PPV draw. PPV buyings will take a hit yes but it won't be a huge one and the ticket sales will have already compensated for it.

Okay, but even 82,000 x 70 quid (can't see many tickets being much cheaper then that, and some will be considerably more) is nearly 6 million in ticket sales alone. That, with a good card which I'm sure it will be after the reaction Fight Night 46 got last this year will still make it a big PPV draw. PPV buyings will take a hit yes but it won't be a huge one and the ticket sales will have already compensated for it.

40k @ 50e
    20k @ 75e
    10k @ 100e
    5k @ 200e
    5k - Comps, Freebies, Press etc etc

Thatd be around $6.8m

That was my take on it using a rough guide of prices from the 02 event, But yours seems more plausibly starting at 70 quid instead of 50 like the Fight Night event. At the end of the day its well capable of working and id agree that any PPV sales the lose will be made up by the ticket sales. The power of the bangwagon for stuff in this country is insane.

ASOT wrote: »
    40k @ 50e
    20k @ 75e
    10k @ 100e
    5k @ 200e
    5k - Comps, Freebies, Press etc etc

Thatd be around $6.8m

That was my take on it using a rough guide of prices from the 02 event, But yours seems more plausibly starting at 70 quid instead of 50 like the Fight Night event. At the end of the day its well capable of working and id agree that any PPV sales the lose will be made up by the ticket sales. The power of the bangwagon for stuff in this country is insane.

Is that a bad thing?

Is that a bad thing?

Is what a bad thing the bandwagon?? No its not. Thats one of the reasons I think this would sell out Croke Park not a bother. I dont mean a Bandwagon for MMA either i just mean a Bandwagon in general that happens to most events in Ireland.

ASOT wrote: »
    Is what a bad thing the bandwagon?? No its not. Thats one of the reasons I think this would sell out Croke Park not a bother. I dont mean a Bandwagon for MMA either i just mean a Bandwagon in general that happens to most events in Ireland.

Not much goes on here, I guess!

Maybe. it's a tricky one because Aldo has proven to be PPV poison over the years. It'll all depend of how big a draw McGregor really is.

I for one hope that if they DO have a Croker show they back the Main Event up with some really good fights and not just have Pendred in the Co-Main for the sake of it. Another on the level of McCall v Pickett would be very nice!

Not much goes on here, I guess!

Pretty sure the fact Fight Nigh Dublin sold out so quick raised the possibility of us getting a numbered event, along with the popularity of McGregor of course. At the end of the day its all about the $$$
    Maybe. it's a tricky one because Aldo has proven to be PPV poison over the years. It'll all depend of how big a draw McGregor really is.

I for one hope that if they DO have a Croker show they back the Main Event up with some really good fights and not just have Pendred in the Co-Main for the sake of it. Another on the level of McCall v Pickett would be very nice!

That could be one of the reasons to actually try push the title fight to be over here, because if it does sell out the gate will cover any lost PPV imo.

Any aldo fight would attract high ppv, right? Add to that the hype machine that is Conor and I reckon their subs won't take too bad a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Any aldo fight would attract high ppv, right? Add to that the hype machine that is Conor and I reckon their subs won't take too bad a hit.

Not a big draw for the casual fan base. The casuals generally aren't as interested in the lower weight classes.

• Advertisement

When he's even Main Event (UFC have tacked Also title fights onto other big fights a few times in the past), he hasn't set the world alight. In fact, his fight v Korean Zombie did like 180k buys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Wrong - Aldo fights are notoriously bad for PPV sales. He has 2 in the top 10 worst selling ppv events, albeit not completely down to Aldo being on the card but hes not a big draw for PPV

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Please God don't let it be on the same night as Foo Fighters 30th May!

1 in 4 chance lad if its on in May

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2rQt6TCUAAHYHQ.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 29,501 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Axwell wrote: »

Oh bollix, if it IS in May, it will definitely be the 30th....

So who would win between frankie and conor?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,501 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So who would win between frankie and conor?

The fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If there's to be a title fight in Europe, I expect the card to be stacked with top EU talent, not just an Irish contingent. A big PPV like that could draw people in from all over.

The fans.

Frankie has some chin, great boxing and footwork, good bjj and outstanding wrestling. Poor conor would be humiliated as much as I hate to say

MagicIRL wrote: »
    If there's to be a title fight in Europe, I expect the card to be stacked with top EU talent, not just an Irish contingent. A big PPV like that could draw people in from all over.

overeem, moose, khabib and gus would sell out croker. Tarecs getting bet by brown so he wont makin the possibIe croker card

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Please God don't let it be on the same night as Foo Fighters 30th May!

Opponent hasn't been announced yet maybe Conor is fighting Dave Grohl...now that would bring in the PPV numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement