Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I keep this updated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Saturday
    a bit over 3 hours steady on Turbo, easier day as Duathlon on sunday

Sunday
    3rd and final race of the Athy duathlon series, 3km run, 24 km bike and a 3km run.

i woke up on Sunday morning and it was blowing hard and pretty wet and cold, i didnt fancy the race, i still wasnt feeling great as i was ill earlier in the week and i tried to talk myself out of going, the rain eased up a bit and i found that i had my bag packed and bike in the jeep before i knew it. before all that i threw a wobbly at the wife for hiding my trisuit meaning that i had to wear an old one, she had sense and headed to the gym to leave me ponder whether to go to the race or stay home feeling sorry for myself.

arrived at the race, registered in no time and had the bike set up, loads of room in transition, great facilities etc. i went for a quick run and i actually felt quite good, surprise surprise. race started and i set off with the intention of limiting my deficit as best i could, i was running better then the last two races and i found that i was only about 25 seconds or perhaps less down at the turnaround point, i took some encouragement from this and decided to keep it at a solid effort for me back to T1 and i think i was maybe 50 seconds down in about 10th

i was very confident about the time i would make up on the bike and i duly set to work and after about 2km i was in second position with 1 guy up the road a good bit, i could make out the flashing lights of the lead car. the wind was coming from the side and was giving me a hard time especially when there was gaps in the hedges alongside the road. i continued to work hard, i find myself at about 70-75 cadence when working hardest but i find that to be a happy place for me. the gap was narrowing and at the turnaround point it was about 100m, i quickly made that up and then sat in for about 20 seconds to rest and then decided that my best hope of winning was to push on again. in the first instance i was happy to catch that guy as i didnt manage to do that in the last race at all. i pushed on and after a while he dropped off and i had about 30 seconds into T2.

T2 went ok and i was out running in no time, straight out of transition you have to do a lap of the school pitches where the race is held and by the end of that lap i knew the guy was going to catch me shortly and that the guys behind were well down, i was duly passed and just kept up a decent effort for 2nd spot. improved my overall race time from the 1st and 2nd races by a few seconds on by far the slowest day weather wise so happy with my efforts!

Monday
    20 min easy spin on bike

swim
    500m w/up
    28*100m, 14 pull and band, 14 paddles and pull
    no c/down - time pressure

Tuesday
    lunchtime turbo
    10 mins w/up
    6 mins hard race cadence 6 mins hard big gear 2 mins easy
    5 mins hard race cadence 5 mins hard big gear 2 mins easy
    4 mins hard race cadence 4 mins hard big gear 2 mins easy
    3 mins hard race cadence 3 mins hard big gear 2 mins easy
    2 mins hard race cadence 2 mins hard big gear 2 mins easy
    c/down

swim later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i have no idea who your coach is but this is by far the best stuff on boards.
    no nonsense complicated bulsihit workouts, nothing to make it more complicated than it needs to be.
    i like it a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

peter kern wrote: »
    no nonsense complicated bulsihit workouts, nothing to make it more complicated than it needs to be.
    i like it a lot

That's funny - I used to look at the sessions and think that you must be his coach :)

More recently i've been thinking that he sets them himself as he seems to have no issue motivating himself to hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

ray o wrote: »
    That's funny - I used to look at the sessions and think that you must be his coach :)

SNAP

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    i like it a lot

http://theironcouple.com/

I met Stephen out cycling on holidays, got on well with him and asked him to help and he agreed. works well, simple sessions, no faffing about with HR or power and i enjoy that as technology frustrates me a bit when it doesnt work or needs charging.

i dont have the time or the will or the know-how to plan my own training to optimum levels, this takes the hassle out of it and I know my schedule for the week and probably do 95% of the stuff on it, the other 5% its just a time issue and sometimes i dont have enough as with all people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

good stuff it was clear from which coaching family he comes from

nice bloke he dosnt talk much but has a great sense of humour.
    his wife got me interested in her ex coach as I think her swim improvemnt is one of the best i have ever seen from 1.07 to 52 is amazing and its not like she did not have a solid coach before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've always been a fan of Stephen Baylis. I 'met' him and Bella in the queue at the expo at IMUK 2010 whilst we all queued to pay for gels. Really nice people. Aren't many sports where you get to interact with the pro's like that.

ray o wrote: »

More recently i've been thinking that he sets them himself as he seems to have no issue motivating himself to hurt

when i used to live in Dublin Peter helped me a lot as he took the sessions for the T3 tri club i was a member of. there are some similarities in the stuff i used to do with T3 and the stuff on the programme such as:

swims are long and involve short fast stuff and long moderate stuff, a lot of band, paddles and pull. Peter favoured more normal swimming (no tools) and drills whereas i might only do 200m with no tools now in the w/up and all the rest is with some form of pull, paddle or band and never drills (but this may be a function of Peter being on deck to observe and there is fcuk all point in doing drills badly on my own)

turbos are long and hard, in general there is not much stuff you would class as easy in the turbo other than the w/up and c/down

the bit about me motivating myself to hurt is an interesting one, i think on any given day you have a different capacity to push yourself and a hard effort on a bad day may only be the equivalent of a solid effort on a good day. i have stopped using my power meter for cycling, dont watch the clock when swimming unless its something specific and only use my 910 XT for time keeping when running and not pace. so a hard effort for me is no longer driven (or capped) by these things.

Wednesday - Friday

I tried my normal treadmill incline session on Wednesday and it went terribly, i was that tired running at an easy pace felt hard, so the session was done but not very well or exactly as prescribed.

Thursday and Friday I went away with the wife for a short 2 day break, it was actually quite fortuitous in the timing of it as i needed a break from training, i did 1 short run and 1 short swim over the 2 days and generally enjoyed the break from training. slept very well also.

Saturday

2 hour steady run, took a while to get going but i got into it and felt great near the end of it

Sunday

3 hour turbo, 90 mins ride outside, again i felt great on the bike, really strong even after the 3 hour turbo which is a good sign
    20 min steady run off the bike

• Advertisement

Monday
    30 min easy run

swim
    500m w/up
    24*100m, 14 pull and band, 10 paddles and pull, missed extra 4*100m as busy day

Tuesday
    turbo
    10 mins w/up
    5*1 min harder 1 min easy still warming up
    32*1 min hard 1 min easy
    10 mins easy

Wednesday
    Crazy busy day and really physically tiring as i was bringing the last of my lambs/hoggets to the factory. Still managed to put in a good run effort in the evening but didnt get my morning swim done.

Treadmill incline run

15 mins build w/up
    3*(1 min 8% 4 mins 0%, 2 mins 6% 4 mins 0%, 3 mins 4% 4 mins flat)
    10 mins at a decent effort
    5 mins c/down

Thursday
    Did my Wednesday swim this morning
    500m w/up
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m paddles and bouy hard
    200m easy
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy

Turbo later

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Your inspiring me to use my treadmill more often :)

Thursday PM
    Turbo
    10 mins w/up
    4*1 min hard 1 easy still warming up
    4x2min hard 1min easy
    6x3min hard big gear 1min easy
    6x3min hard race cadence 1min easy
    5min steady 5min solid 5min best effort, 3min easy
    4x1min hard 1min easy
    5min easy

really happy with my effort level for this session, perhaps the best effort i have ever done on the turbo as i was just in the mood for it

Friday
    swim
    500m w/u
    8*400m, 4 pull, 4 paddles and pull
    c/down

run

10min warm up
    2x15sec fast `15sec easy
    2x30sec fast 30sec easy
    2x1min fast 1min easy
    2x1min 30sec fast 1min 30sec easy
    2x1min fast 1min easy
    2x30sec fast 30sec easy
    2x15sec fast 15sec easy
    10min easy

Sat
    4hr 30 bike

Sun
    run
    15 mins w/up
    21*3 mins solid 1 min easy with the final 11 repeats bordering on a hard effort
    15 mins c/down

Monday

swim
    500m w/up
    28*100m, 14 pull and band, 14 paddles and pull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I was watching a tri on youtube the other night, think it was Challenge Weymouth from last year, seen your coach on it. Don't know if you have ever seen his bike but it's a strange looking one! Few modern pieces on what looks like an old round tubed frame. Some swim from him too, if your doing the training that got him swimming like that I'll have to stick close to you on any swims!

something called English Cycles i think, yeh odd to see a bike like that but he seems fond of it

top swimmer, makes it look easy, i think he may have swam as a kid but not sure! he has had bad health for a few years but seems to be making a good recovery this year and should be doing IM Lanzarote in a few weeks. the last few years seem to have been a bit of a lacuna for him after a very promising start to his IM career. hope it works out for him as he is a decent old skin

after seeing Kurt did a 100m in 1.11 i think you should look for him! ill be swimming a slight bit quicker but not a huge difference to last year, not swimming as much this year so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

I always go out too quick, am often leading at 150m with a frantic gang of speedsters jumping on my tail. Can never keep it up the pace for too long, I might try being a decoy next time and take the lead pack on a wild goose chase for 400m...

Best look for MD1983's feet joey ;)

Tuesday
    Turbo
    10 mins w/up
    1 hour of 4 mins big gear and hard effort 2 mins easy
    c/down

Wednesday
    500m w/up
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy

Run
    30 mins steady
    30 mins solid
    23 mins hard (supposed to be 30 mins hard but had to finish for work)

Thursday
    turbo
    10min warm up
    4x1min hard 1min easy (warming up still)
    4x10min hard, 1 and 3 was race cadence 2 and 4 in big gear 2min easy.
    8 min hard race cadence
    5min easy

Friday.

Swim:
    200m steady
    2x100m steady 10sec rest
    2x50m, 15m fast 25m easy, 10sec rest
    10x25m fast with band only 15sec rest
    5x400m solid bouy 20sec rest
    4x400m solid paddles bouy 20sec rest
    100m easy

Run:
    15 min steady, 15 min comfortable solid, 15 min best effort and c/down

Saturday.

Bike:
    Plan was for 3*30km TT efforts, went out on bike but it started to spill rain, came home after an hour and did 3*45 mins TT efforts on the turbo with 5 mins easy in between each effort

Sunday.

Run:
    2hrs 15min steady and hilly.

Monday
    swim
    500m w/p
    28*100m with 14 pull and abnd 14 paddles and pull
    c/down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

For your long runs MD do you take anything on? Just a good feed before you go or do you take a gel or something? Done my longest run at the weekend, not as long as yours though, and found I fell apart towards the end. Not sure if this was a lack of fuel or just the time and distance so just looking to see what others who are doing long runs do.

my long run is generally on a sunday morning and i would have eaten breakfast so i never bring anything and dont feel i need to either, i get a bit tired towards the end of it but not from lack of food. if anything i eat too much breakfast before going running and would be a bit uncomfortable starting off so no need for anything more.

i wouldnt generally eat on long cycles or drink that much, probably dont put enough thought into it but only on rare occasions do i find myself out of energy on a long bike but again these are done in the mornings after breakfast

Tuesday
    swim

500m w/up
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy

run

10 mins w/up
    4*15 seconds hard 15 easy
    4*30 seconds hard 30 easy
    4*1 min seconds hard 1 min easy
    4*1 min 30 seconds hard 1 min 30 easy
    10 mins c/down

Wednesday
    Turbo
    10 mins w/up
    8*4 mins hard big gear low cadence 2 mins easy
    20 mins TT best effort
    10 mins easy

Thursday

Run

threadmill hill session
    15 w/up
    3*(1 min 8% 4 mins 0%, 2 mins 6%, 4 mins 0%, 3 mins 4%, 4 mins 0%), the up to be above threshold the flat to be just below.
    10 mins hard
    c/down

45 min cycle home. coach wants me to fit in steady cycling where i can so planning on doing some commuting about on my bike

Friday
    turbo
    10 mins w/up
    6*1min on 1 min off
    3*8mins best effort 2 mins easy
    c/down

long swim later

Thursday

Run

threadmill hill session
    15 w/up
    3*(1 min 8% 4 mins 0%, 2 mins 6%, 4 mins 0%, 3 mins 4%, 4 mins 0%), the up to be above threshold the flat to be just below.
    10 mins hard
    c/down

45 min cycle home. coach wants me to fit in steady cycling where i can so planning on doing some commuting about on my bike

Friday
    turbo
    10 mins w/up
    6*1min on 1 min off
    3*8mins best effort 2 mins easy
    c/down

long swim later

Saturday
    4 hour turbo
    20 min run off bike steady

Sunday
    run
    15 w/up
    21*3 mins solid 1 easy
    c/down

quick swim

Monday
    swim
    500m w/up
    28*100m solid, 14 band and bouy 14 pull bouy, 10 secs rest

1 hour run later, steady with last 20 mins working harder if i fancy it

Tuesday

Busy work day only Turbo done

10 mins w/up
    3*10 mins hard 5 mins big gear 5 mins race cadence 2 mins easy
    2*10 min hard race cadence 2 mins easy

Wednesday
    swim

500m w/up
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy
    16*25 band and bouy hard
    200m easy

run

10 mins w/up
    4*1 min 30 seconds hard 1 min 30 easy
    10 mins c/down

Thursday
    was away on business for a few days, had some free time Thursday

swim
    w/up - not sure on the pool length - maybe 500m tops
    20*up and down the pool with band hard
    10*up and down the pool solid
    10* up and down the pool band

bike
    10 mins w/up
    1 hour solid
    1 hour solid/hard
    10 mins c/down

run
    1 hour solid

Friday
    nothing - work and travel for the day

Saturday
    tredmill hill session
    15 w/up
    10 mins hard
    c/down

not much training but brought wife off for 4th wedding anniversary - priorities... ;-)

Sunday
    4hrs 45 bike steady

• Advertisement

Monday
    Swim
    500m w/up
    12*100m band and bouy 10 sec rest solid effort
    12*100m paddles and bouy 10 sec rest solid effort

bit of a rush as had work to do

run
    15 mins w/up
    10*3 mins hard 1 easy, this started poorly as my legs were tired, picked up from reps 2-7 which went ok and then a combination of lack of food as i was away all day and tiredness meant 8-10 were poor
    10 mins c/down

Advertisement