Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismal Christmas Stamps from An Post

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I wouldn't care if there was a pic of a wombat riding Miley Cyrus on them, as long as they were cheap (which they're not)

I think if the stamps were released featuring a pic of a wombat riding Miley Cyrus, they would have substantial collector value straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I think if the stamps were released featuring a pic of a wombat riding Miley Cyrus, they would have substantial collector value straight away.

Well like the 90c stamps, that too would say Happy ****ing Christmas from An Post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I'd like to discuss the thumb further if that's possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

From there, it's a slippery slope to talking about fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I agree OP, it is a very poor effort... here is the Canadian equivalent

Im not a big fan of Christmas, but at least it looks as if there has been some effort put into designing the Canadian stamps.

Whoever designed the Irish Christmas stamp for 2013, takes no pride in their work.

Yeah but their postal system is a joke might aswell use smoke signals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Don't see a problem wit them myself personally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Those aren't the Christmas stamps. The Christmas stamps come in a little booklet of 20. Those are just the random stamps they give everyone this time of year who doesn't specifically ask for Christmas stamps. You go in and ask for 5 stamps right now and you get those robin yokes, which personally I think are also quite cute.

They are Christmas stamps of the Stamps on a Roll (SOAR) variety. The holly and robin designs are only being sold from 7 November until stocks run out or until they are withdrawn some time in January 2014. SOAR stamps have no denomination on them, they can be printed with any price.

http://www.worldstampnews.com/2010/08/ireland-post-introduces-new-innovations-in-postage-stamps/

The five digit number on SOAR is the Julian date, which is based on the Julian calendar and the sequence below this contains Post Office information such as the location of the stamp printer etc.

The 13336 on the OP's stamps show that they were bought on 2nd December like he said, the 336th day of 2013. And I'm not too suprised to find whinging and moaning coming from where they were bought.

They are Christmas stamps of the Stamps on a Roll (SOAR) variety. The holly and robin designs are only being sold from 7 November until stocks run out or until they are withdrawn some time in January 2014. SOAR stamps have no denomination on them, they can be printed with any price.

http://www.worldstampnews.com/2010/08/ireland-post-introduces-new-innovations-in-postage-stamps/

The five digit number on SOAR is the Julian date, which is based on the Julian calendar and the sequence below this contains Post Office information such as the location of the stamp printer etc.

The 13336 on the OP's stamps show that they were bought on 2nd December like he said, the 336th day of 2013. And I'm not too suprised to find whinging and moaning coming from where they were bought.

So An Post get a clap on the back for the tech of the stamps. Good for them. But hey, shoddy design simply highlights how k3wl the tech is. I presume. Perhaps you could also clarify your knowledge of where they were brought from and why the aesthetic value should be so unappreciated by the proletariat of that particular locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

They're just stamps! As stamps go I actually think they're quite nice - traditional like, none of your bells and whistles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Banjoxed wrote: »
    So An Post get a clap on the back for the tech of the stamps. Good for them. But hey, shoddy design simply highlights how k3wl the tech is. I presume. Perhaps you could also clarify your knowledge of where they were brought from and why the aesthetic value should be so unappreciated by the proletariat of that particular locality.

You know where you bought them and the numbers on the stamps tell me where you bought them. No big secret, just like a bank sort code. The denizens of the county where you bought them (and maybe you were just passing through) strike me as the most whingy and complaining on a range of topics, whenever the location is identifiable.

Dismal, awful,shoddy, scraping the bottom of the design barrell, austerity stamps. Me, I just think they are unremarkable but quite nice seasonal pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Is there anything AH hasn't moaned about today?

Its getting worse that the Joe Duffy show.

I know! They are having a go at the poor robins now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

That really is a lovely thumb. Good job OP

Judging by its reception here, maybe a stamp with the OPs thumb on it would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Nail biter I'd say?

Big Lar wrote: »
    Nail biter I'd say?

No way, Id say he's early 40's and works with computers :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This represents an atheist Christmas, cold and unappealing.

Most athiest Christmas is the same as everyone elses in the country. Minus the hour long mass. Which i think most Christians will admit, is the ****test part of the day

Cienciano wrote: »
    Most athiest Christmas is the same as everyone elses in the country. Minus the hour long mass. Which i think most Christians will admit, is the ****test part of the day

Christmas is when all the fake Catholics come out to pray.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

mauzo! wrote: »
    Christmas is when all the fake Catholics come out to pray.

Very true indeed. Way I see it is that if you believe in god, thats good :) If you believe there is no god, thats good :)

Everyone is different and no one has a right to say anything against peoples beliefs. But within saying that, be true to yourself. Be it an athiest 'pretending' to be catholic once a year or a 'catholic' downplaying their faith because of the company they hold etc etc etc. People should be true to themselves.

Very true indeed. Way I see it is that if you believe in god, thats good :) If you believe there is no god, thats good :)

Everyone is different and no one has a right to say anything against peoples beliefs. But within saying that, be true to yourself. Be it an athiest 'pretending' to be catholic once a year or a 'catholic' downplaying their faith because of the company they hold etc etc etc. People should be true to themselves.

Tis very true. Sometimes admitting you're a Catholic is like saying 'hello, you can now disregard everything else I say because I'm clearly crazy' :P

You know where you bought them and the numbers on the stamps tell me where you bought them. No big secret, just like a bank sort code. The denizens of the county where you bought them (and maybe you were just passing through) strike me as the most whingy and complaining on a range of topics, whenever the location is identifiable.

Dismal, awful,shoddy, scraping the bottom of the design barrell, austerity stamps. Me, I just think they are unremarkable but quite nice seasonal pictures.

Ah, interesting. Not originally from here but your view of the locals would explain the views of many here of Official Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Making fancy stamps is a waste of time and ink. They're going to end up in the bin after they're received anyway.

• Advertisement

Making fancy stamps is a waste of time and ink. They're going to end up in the bin after they're received anyway.

My boyfriend googled 'things to do with your girlfriend' last night. (I was bored and wanted to do something other than sitting in.

One of the suggestions was 'lick her fancy stamps' and they didnt mean stamps. I just tried to google it and it was 17 filthy things to do to your girlfriend while she sleeps. WTF is wrong with him :ohttp://www.brobible.com/life/article/things-to-do-with-sleeping-girlfriend

We ended up playing jenga with his housemates :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mauzo! wrote: »
    My boyfriend googled 'things to do with your girlfriend' last night. (I was bored and wanted to do something other than sitting in.

One of the suggestions was 'lick her fancy stamps' and they didnt mean stamps. I just tried to google it and it was 17 filthy things to do to your girlfriend while she sleeps. WTF is wrong with him :ohttp://www.brobible.com/life/article/things-to-do-with-sleeping-girlfriend

We ended up playing jenga with his housemates :(

Did they take turns pulling out their pieces?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone see the stamps they've got out at the minute? Don't know when I last posted a letter but I'll be buying some of these!

http://i.imgur.com/60nr9Fl.jpg

Advertisement