Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI psychology institute online course

Options
  • 02-12-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Has anyone ever done one of these courses?

I started a home study online course, and have had nothing else but conflicting information about what I should be doing assignment wise.

I just sent them a pretty strong email complaining and asking them to sort it, or I will try to get my money back, and not happy about having wasted my time etc.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ladymary

Hi Greystoner i am doing one of these courses at the moment and like u had trouble regards how to do the assignments . i emailed them and got this reply........Good day!

Each unit comprises reading material, together with two written assignments.

There's no need for bullet points.

All assignments are to have a minimum of 250 words and a maximum of 500 words.

Remember: You only need to answer 1 Assignment per unit, so may choose which any of the two given.

The assignments are straight forward & relate directly to the reading material. They will include short factual answers, personal responses/reactions to the reading material, self-development exercises, etc.

If you have further queries, please don't hesitate to email me.............

I am now on my third assignment and waiting for the results back from my second....as regards the course i really don't know how it will stand to me in the future, would love some feedback from anybody that has done it, feel free to PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

I was told that originally as well, BUT then (and again today) I have been told that there are to be only 2 assignments submitted each of 1,000 words each.one after unit 3 and one after unit 6.

I received unit 3 today and it seems to be just course notes, and no assignment?! Did you get sent an assignment for unit 3?

I am assuming that I will have to send in one of my unit 1 or unit 2 assignments, but as I originally did them with only 500 words I will have to add another 500 words to one!

As for the course how it will 'stand...in the future', I get the idea that it is not a proper qualification for a psychology career, but it might help if you need to be a counsellor or similar. I am just doing it 'for fun' and to get my brain ticking over! Just wish I could get clear information on what I am actually supposed to be doing! How do they mark the assignments and do they get them back to you reliably?Thanks ladymary.

Hi ladymary, how long did it take for you to hear back about your submitted assignment?

I have sent messages asking for them to confirm they have received mine (I also sent it to a email address of mine and it got there) but have heard nothing!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

I have been doing the child psychology course with ATI and my first of the 2 (1000) words assignments is now due after unit 3. I will submit the final (second) assignment after unit 6. I'm just wondering if you guys have / have not got feedback yet for your own assignments??

Hi Golfwidow,

I have not heard back about my first assignment yet that I sent in start January!(second assignment nearly due and I don't even know if I should bother wasting my precious time typing it up).

I have been on and on to them, and replies have been erratic and then I have been told 3 times 'it will be back this week', 'your's has been prioritised' etc.

Not happy about this. I know it definitely got sent to them because at the same time I sent it to one of my own email addresses.

I am not impressed with the communication of this course. Very cynical, but think it is easy money for them. How have you found them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

Well, I am behind you - having just started in January so my first assignment is due in in the next couple of days! I will let you know how I get on! I did have problems initially getting connected properly to the first unit lessons but they were very helpful - emails were answered very quickly. I do hope that you get a response regarding your assignment quickly. I've just finished an online course with the Open University and the absolute longest that you would wait regarding feedback to an assignment was 3 weeks. I have to say that studying with the OU was fantastic!! All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Personally, I'd keep clear of any "college" dealing with students in this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1 crystal_ice85

please don't waste. your money with these robbers. I did my course last july to dec, didn't get feedback for my last four assignments until I complained and complained. For my final assignment I was so frustrated I just wrote a big speel about how I thought the course was junk and I got an A+++. I think the information is from the 90's and I learned nothing from it. And for the cherry on top its now four months since I finished the course And I have yet to receive my cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

If you have been so badly treated, have you:

a. sent a formal complaint to the college? and if you had no satisfaction, then:

b. sent a formal complaint to any affiliated institutions? (any universities they may be associated with)?

c. sent a formal complaint to the accrediting institution (FETAC and HETAC are now known as QQI)?

At the very least, you should surely be due a refund of any fees paid. You might want to ask in the Soc > Legal Discussion forum about that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

please don't waste. your money with these robbers. I did my course last july to dec, didn't get feedback for my last four assignments until I complained and complained. For my final assignment I was so frustrated I just wrote a big speel about how I thought the course was junk and I got an A+++. I think the information is from the 90's and I learned nothing from it. And for the cherry on top its now four months since I finished the course And I have yet to receive my cert.

So they took your money, didn't read your essay, gave you an A+++ and never gave you a cert?

You should file a complaint.

• Advertisement

I heard that ATI Psychology Institute were in the Indo a month or so ago something to do with unpaid tax. I don't have a link, but if someone can provide one, that would be great.

Hopefully people will read this thread before handing over their money.

Their accreditation with Hetac, which was run in conjunction with Waterford Institute of Technology, (if I'm correct), was also taking off them a couple of years ago.

WIT pulled out after a number of complaints were made against ATI, by students and staff.

Their degree and Masters are now accredited by a University in Wales.

That college is a nightmare to get information out of, they are un-contactable through any means, phone, email etc

Doesn't look very impressive all round to me.

I finally got back my feedback from assignment sent in in January, got it a week ago. Think there were about 3 sentences basically paraphrasing what I wrote!

I also had to resubmit the assignment because they couldn't find the first one sent! I had to send about 10 emails chasing it up.

Wonder how many I will need to send to get feedback on my second assignment?!!

So should get my certificate in about a year then. ;)

(And massive sigh.........)

Golfwidow wrote: »
    Well, I am behind you - having just started in January so my first assignment is due in in the next couple of days! I will let you know how I get on! I did have problems initially getting connected properly to the first unit lessons but they were very helpful - emails were answered very quickly. I do hope that you get a response regarding your assignment quickly. I've just finished an online course with the Open University and the absolute longest that you would wait regarding feedback to an assignment was 3 weeks. I have to say that studying with the OU was fantastic!! All the best!

Golfwidow, how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Richardstorm

My girlfriend did a counselling course with ATI so i had a look at the course and i have to say that even if the cours covered what it should i have to say that the course material itself lacked alot to be desired. The reading materials was nothing more than a copy of a book and some of the pages were upside down. I was not to impressed, however she enjoyed the course and finished with a nice diploma.

Richardstorm, I know what you mean about the course notes!

How long did your girlfriend have to wait for assignments to come back?

I am waiting 2 months now for my second one and have chased it up several times.

Not impressed. Won't be doing any more courses with them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hmor

Hi all,
    How I wish I had checked here before I registered with the institute above.
    I agree with all the comments above.
    Delay in getting assignments marked, difficulty in accessing the work.
    The only time they responded promptly was upon a complaint and a threat of legal action against them.
    I am still awaiting for my 5 and 6th assignments to be marked that is 6 months waiting.
    I have contacted a Greg Crimmins whom I presume is the CEO's brother or son.
    He promised me he would forward me my Diploma still waiting for it.
    I think I will now contact the university in Wales to whom they are apparently affiliated.
    If that fails i will get my Solicitor to contact them to seek damages for breach of contract and law of Tort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Richardstorm

Greystoner, she waited up to 6 weeks at times. She now has her Diploma and she started a new one with the College of online Distance Education. She seems to like it and the course materials are way better, but it is childcare she is doing......lol...not exactly my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

i am currently doing a course in ATI, it's a dissaster. ATI have had their contract with Glyndwr university in Wales, cancelled.
    luck'ly glyndwr are now running the course directly this has been great. the difference between proffesionals and the amateurs in ATI cannot be overemphasized. i would advise anybody who is contemplating doing a course with ATI to save their money and run as far away from them as possible.

That's shocking, twice now they have had their accreditation taking off them by two different institutions.

• Advertisement

dar100 wrote: »
    That's shocking, twice now they have had their accreditation taking off them by two different institutions.

Also, how IACP stand over their degree I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The question is, does anyone actually complain to the IACP Ethics body? Accreditation body?

Or do they fear losing their qualification if they did so?

The question is, does anyone actually complain to the IACP Ethics body? Accreditation body?

Or do they fear losing their qualification if they did so?

Yes I'd imagine no student would be motivated enough to make a complaint. But there is members of IACP working as lecturers on the course, so I'd imagine word has got back.

ATI degree course were not acredited by IACP, they had applied for acreditation on the basis that glyndwr was the university overseeing the degre courses. this is gone now! as for complaining, there was no point in complaining to the IACP as they have nothing to do with ATI

wupucus wrote: »
    they had applied for acreditation on the basis that glyndwr was the university overseeing the degre courses. this is gone now!

Since when? Is it documented anywhere that Glyndwr is no longer accrediting the ATI course?

ATI degree course were not acredited by IACP, they had applied for acreditation on the basis that glyndwr was the university overseeing the degre courses. this is gone now! as for complaining, there was no point in complaining to the IACP as they have nothing to do with ATI

They accredit students that have completed that course, regardless if the course itself was accredited

this is true, IACP do indeed offer accreditation to people who have done the ATI degree course, they also have to complete the the other requirements specified by the accreditation committee .

as to where it appears in writing, Glyndwr sent a letter to the students that are presently doing the course explaining that they had cancelled their contract with ATI and that the students were now enrolled directly at Glyndwr. all fees are paid directly to the university ATI no longer has any input or involvement with the degree course they are doing.

It's good that at least the students are being looked after by Glyndwr.I know of people half-way through the degree programme so am glad to see that they are for now OK.

this is true, IACP do indeed offer accreditation to people who have done the ATI degree course, they also have to complete the the other requirements specified by the accreditation committee .

Yes, and this amounts to personal therapy, only.

The core of the course, theory, practice placement, skills training etc is provided by ATI, and as such, there must be questions hanging over ATI/IACP regarding students fitness to practice. Unless of course, the withdraw had nothing to do with these areas, and was due to admin issues/financial aspects of the institute.

• Advertisement

hmor wrote: »
    Hi all,
    How I wish I had checked here before I registered with the institute above.
    I agree with all the comments above.
    Delay in getting assignments marked, difficulty in accessing the work.
    The only time they responded promptly was upon a complaint and a threat of legal action against them.
    I am still awaiting for my 5 and 6th assignments to be marked that is 6 months waiting.
    I have contacted a Greg Crimmins whom I presume is the CEO's brother or son.
    He promised me he would forward me my Diploma still waiting for it.
    I think I will now contact the university in Wales to whom they are apparently affiliated.
    If that fails i will get my Solicitor to contact them to seek damages for breach of contract and law of Tort.

Well holy crab! I haven't been on here for a while and now I see all this.

My last assignment was submitted over 3 months ago. I have been nagging and nagging at someone called Ruby Jane, who kept telling me it was getting sorted, now she seems to have gone? dealing with Greg now. Sent them a strong message today after being told a week ago that my work would be returned 'in an hour'. I have given them the two options or returning my marked work and diploma or giving me a full refund. I will chase this too. It is my time I have wasted!

Please let me know how you get on if you take legal action. It looks like you will not be the only one.

I guess you live and learn, but I'm not letting them off the hook
    :(

Advertisement