Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB outage prep

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Two things spring to mind two burner camping stove like this camping gaz one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-Camping-Kitchen/dp/B000PXMAZU/ or a traditional (road workers) single burner http://www.amazon.co.uk/LPG-Burner-Boiling-Restaurant-Catering/dp/B008URJB9G/ or double burner http://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-cast-iron-boiling-ring/dp/B000UGIQ96. All will run off the same butane bottles used in SuperSer type heater using the same regulator.

Then again you might want an actual gas cooker with an oven?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3402021/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/3%7C19719008%7CCamping%7C14419397/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419397%7CCamping+stoves+and+cooking+accessories%7C14419406.htm

Will this run on same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

johnmck wrote: »

With the standard regulator that should run fine. Its the same gas - butane and the standard regulators that you can buy in any hardware store will supply the gas at the correct rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Have a small 800w gen to keep to water pump & oil heating running,Also
    have a gas bbq for cooking needs,box of candles/lighter fuel just thinking of
    the upc phone/modem LOL.. might plug them in also. But they might be off in the area...sure well see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

With the standard regulator that should run fine. Its the same gas - butane and the standard regulators that you can buy in any hardware store will supply the gas at the correct rate.
    Just the standard orange ones that come on gas BBQ?

johnmck wrote: »
    Just the standard orange ones that come on gas BBQ?

Yep thats the normally the colour of the Butane ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The threatened strike at the ESB has been averted after a deal was reached at talks at the Labour Relation Commission.

The deal was brokered after tense negotiations between unions and ESB management.

The ESB welcomed the withdrawal of the strike notice saying the industrial action would have had "extremely damaging consequences for electricity customers, businesses and the economy and the company".
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1208/491561-esb-unions-pension/

That's all folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

For now. Still lots of issues to be resolved especially privatisation of elements of the network. Some people will see this as a warning to be prepared. Unfortunately most people will see it as confirmation that ah sure someone will look after us and things will be alright in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

One thing the ESB scare made me realise.. shop around!

The variation in prices for butane gas cylinders is up to 300% for the same product.

The 'Campingaz Bistro' retails between €28 and €50 euro in Dublin, if you're happy with a clone of the Bistro, Capel Camping (132 Capel Street, Dublin) will sell an Outwell branded stove, identical to the Campingaz model, for €19.95

Generic fuel.. Gelert (220g push in/self seal cartridge) branded Butane for the Bistro/Outwell were cheapest in the Outdoor Adventure Store on Upper Liffey Street (Dublin), €2 per item. Other stores had bulk offers, €10 for 4 etc. The Campingaz Bistro was priced at €30, at the same store. Argos had the same stove, but out of stock, for €27.99. Branded fuel at Argos was the most expensive, even in bulk. 12 pack of Campingaz CP250 butane at €40.99.

Bit of a saga. I'm happy I have the stove, none the less. I think it'll be 'borrowed' by one or two family members next Summer.

It''ll find use, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Late to the party again but here are my preps just in case they pull the plug (pun intended) another time

Range cooker with back boiler to run the heating/water off
    A ton of head lamps and flashlights lots of batteries
    Solar powered security lights
    Generator for fridge chest freezer and extra fuel ( can run a lead into the house to watch a movie)
    1000lt rain catchment for flushing the toilet
    Enough 5lt bottle water for a week
    So if the power does ever go Ive a good head start for now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Coming back to this thread as many people are experiencing Electricity outages at the moment. Anyone finding any unexpected issues?

One interesting thing coming out of this is the mobile networks. Vodafone for example have been down (or at least very very very limited) across most of the south of the country. On their website they quote the following:
    Network outages - 12/2/14
    Unfortunately, due to power outages as a direct result of severe weather conditions, mainly across the South West and South East of Ireland, Vodafone Ireland customers in parts of Galway, Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Limerick, Wexford, Kilkenny, Laois, Mayo and Clare are experiencing coverage issues. Vodafone Ireland would like to reassure customers that field force engineers are doing everything in their power to restore coverage in impacted areas. There are generators en route to key impacted sites and once on site, coverage can be restored. However, the continuing bad weather has a delaying impact as road conditions are dangerous in places and site access can be limited. Vodafone’s on the ground engineers are working hard to restore coverage to all customers as soon as possible. We will make every effort to keep customers informed.

It would appear that they depend completely on the electricity supply for their mobile masts. The masts don't have backup generators (contrary to what was stated in "Blackout" on Ch4 and what many people believe). Therefore if the ESB goes out the mobile network will collapse with it. Combined with widespread outages of the landline network and many people found their communications cut off. Some people may think that's not a bad thing but society has become dependent on this form of communication. For example yesterday lots of schools and creches had to be evacuated and the procedure is that texts are to go out to parents. But the parents couldn't get them (assuming the school could even send them).

So it is critical that the masts have backup generators on site. They will attempt to save money by not doing that so any government concerned about it's people would force the mobile operators to do so (not that I expect this government to have any intention of doing so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

You'd imagine it would be SOP to have back up generators or at least solar powered battery power at their masts.

I wonder why they didn't include Offaly and Tipperary on their outage list.

We rely far too much on electric and technology these days. I used to remember every phone number and address I ever needed now I'm lucky to remember my own number. Last night at dinner I asked my oldest 2 kids (14 and 16) did they know how to use a payphone or where the nearest one was they didn't. If the likes of dublin went without power for 3 days people would be either zombies or roiting on the streets

In the last week we've been off 3 times, yesterday (Wednesday) for about 4 hours, Monday for 3 hours for work on the local poles and Friday night for half an hour. Power isn't normally off that often but its definitely something we have to plan for. After the last outages my plan is to get some more cheaper torches and mount them (spring terry clips perhaps) so they are easily found. We aren't short of torches but the ones we have are either in regular use so could have been put down anywhere after their last use, packed up in BOBs or outside in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Everyone should have a flashlight app downloaded to their phone if they can. Most people always have their phone on them so if the lights go out at lesst you can find your way to the rest of your gear handy enough.

aaakev wrote: »
    Everyone should have a flashlight app downloaded to their phone if they can. Most people always have their phone on them so if the lights go out at lesst you can find your way to the rest of your gear handy enough.

Good advice for most people but I don't have any mobile coverage at home so no one here ever has a mobile phone on them :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've asked for an official response on the Talk To Vodafone forum regarding their back up.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057147708/1#post88983357

Ive a 2 cell maglite at the front door and one at the back door and 2 4 cell maglites up stairs all with upgraded bulbs and glass breakers on them Ive also put battery converters into them so they all work from AA batteries plus loads of different cheap led torches and some known brand ones lots of wind up torches and candles. The maglites at the front and back doors are the most used

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

get propane bottle and camping gas stove and get small generator for lights and freezer

watch out for carbon monoxide poisoning

some type of gas fire would be good

turn off your circuit breakers to stop surge when it comes back

have tinned food you don't have to cook

buy led lamps the batterys last all night

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Would ESB outage cause water/gas to go as well? Would it have an effect on the pressure on the mains network?

I'm in an apartment now so can't just light a fire for heat etc.

Lived in apt last year & elec. cut stopped power to pumps and thus no water

turn off your circuit breakers to stop surge when it comes back

But leave one on, otherwise the neighbours will be wondering if you've gone mad sitting in the dark, when the power has been back for a few days :D;)

• Advertisement

So today I finally got a response from Comreg (Vodafone are choosing to ignore my question, surprise, surprise...)
    We refer to your query raised on 13 February 2014 as outlined below.

The provision of mobile phone networks and services is undertaken by telecommunications service providers who operate in a fully liberalised market under licences provided by ComReg. These licences, which require the Mobile Network Operators to provide a minimum level of national population coverage [1], in relation to 2G, 3G and future services (under the Liberalised Use Licence). It should be noted that there are no Universal Service Obligations (USO) attached to mobile phone licences and therefore the USO Regulations [2] only apply to Designated Undertakings and the right to service at a fixed location.

We trust this clarifies the matter for you.

Kind regards

etc. etc.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[1] The minimum population coverage requirements of the 3G licences were volunteered as part of the competitive evaluation processes which led to their award.

[2] European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Service and User’s Rights) Regulations 2011, S.I. No. 337 of 2011, Regulation 3 of the USO Regulations applies to designated undertakings, that they shall satisfy any reasonable requests for the ‘provision of access at a fixed location’

A very nonsensical way of saying they do as they please if I read it correctly.

So, when the grid goes down, your mobile will be worthless as a phone. It really reinforces the point of having backup plans and alternative means of communication (which don't require grid electricity to operate).

It sort of depresses me when I read posts in other forums about people getting rid of their land land because of cost. When the electric goes the land line is often that one thing that you can still rely on, unless of course a tree has come down across your line.

I even keep and old "corded" phone and when the power goes after finding a torch plugging it in (in place of the cordless phones) is the first next thing I do.

Very true, but if every member of your family is on the end of a mobile when out and about, a landline is of limited use. Even public phones are as rare as hens teeth these days.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Very true, but if every member of your family is on the end of a mobile when out and about, a landline is of limited use. Even public phones are as rare as hens teeth these days.

Your not keeping up here :D I'm one of the few remaining land line users because we have no mobile coverage at home and its my experience in an emergency that the mobile towers if they are running get blocked with calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

what kind of generator(s) would ye recommend for running household items and how do you connect it to domestic items like fridges? Diesel, petrol or a.n.other fuel?

regards
    Stovepipe

Stovepipe wrote: »
    what kind of generator(s) would ye recommend for running household items and how do you connect it to domestic items like fridges? Diesel, petrol or a.n.other fuel?

regards
    Stovepipe
    You need to work out your start up power and your running power of each item with one of these
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/13a-plug-in-energy-saving-monitor-n67fu
    to see how big a generator you need (dont start everything at once) Most generators take a standard plug these days Id recommend a diesel mainly because you can run it on green diesel (if you can get it)

It sort of depresses me when I read posts in other forums about people getting rid of their land land because of cost. When the electric goes the land line is often that one thing that you can still rely on, unless of course a tree has come down across your line.

I even keep and old "corded" phone and when the power goes after finding a torch plugging it in (in place of the cordless phones) is the first next thing I do.
    I had an eircom landline in for this reason but with UPC I get stronger broadband free calls and my tv for the same price so its no wonder people are changing Im saving €60 a month

ShadowFox wrote: »
    I had an eircom landline in for this reason but with UPC I get stronger broadband free calls and my tv for the same price so its no wonder people are changing Im saving €60 a month

I hardy use it but my fixed line bill is still around €70 every 2 months, money for old rope, Eircom must be very badly manged to not make a profit with those charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

ShadowFox wrote: »
    You need to work out your start up power and your running power of each item with one of these
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/13a-plug-in-energy-saving-monitor-n67fu
    to see how big a generator you need (dont start everything at once) Most generators take a standard plug these days Id recommend a diesel mainly because you can run it on green diesel (if you can get it)

Great info cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The scale and length of this outage most be biggest power loss event in recent history in Ireland or is my memory hazy.

One of the reasons why so many trees are done is the unprecedented rainfall Plus the multiple storm train weakened the root system and soil structure and then came Storm Darwin as a coup de grace on the 12th
    It was a perfect chain of events for tree falls in many ways if Darwin had happened back in December it would not have even half as bad IMO

Advertisement